DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

I hit level 30 with my purifier in Grim Dawn, which coincided with unlocking my first devotion skill so call me Ja Rule 'cuz I'm all about that MUUURRRRDAAAAA.

Listen, I'm sorry, but I've had a lot of sudafed today.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I hit level 30 with my purifier in Grim Dawn, which coincided with unlocking my first devotion skill so call me Ja Rule 'cuz I'm all about that MUUURRRRDAAAAA.

Listen, I'm sorry, but I've had a lot of sudafed today.

I wamt to talk about how good the Death Knight is in the actual Grim Dawn community but my past experiences with ARPG's make me terrified they will immediately nerf him so I ain't saying nuthin'.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

310?cb=20171014124725

I hate you so much.  (and by 'you', I mean me)

Use the lobber. I spent about fifteen tries using the roundabout and went nowhere, but the lobber wiped him out quick. It's especially handy on the second phase.

One of the friends I talk to on a daily basis was a GAF regular and he clued me in on how fucked up the mod/staff culture was there, so I was lucky enough to watch it collapse live. The thing to remember is that this isn't even their owner's first time using administrative tools to silence people that make him look bad/creepy. It's just that this was the breaking point for his moderator team.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I was wondering what was going on this morning.

I'm saddened that it's gone but not saddened about EvilLore's behavior. Not to mention that a former moderator of the site was fuckin' arrested for pedophilia and the other site mods and the owner chose to ignore the warning signs.

Lately, the site seemed way too political (I'm not going to get into here since DVDVR has wisely avoided it), annoying (if I hear another poster saying they won't AC Origins and Shadow of War due to damn loot boxes I swear I'll...) and there were countless posts about women being sexually harassed, abused, and mistreated and the reactions to it (unbeknownst to many posting the owner is doing the exact same thing).

I'll miss having a site to look at during my lunch break -- I would read posts during E3 and see people losing their shit over FFVII Remake, Shenmue 3 and The Last Guardian and it was euphoric.

A lot of my love for Japanese gaming was due to NeoGAF. Although I was a fan of it before the site obviously.

2 minutes ago, BL88 said:

One of the friends I talk to on a daily basis was a GAF regular and he clued me in on how fucked up the mod/staff culture was there, so I was lucky enough to watch it collapse live. The thing to remember is that this isn't even their owner's first time using administrative tools to silence people that make him look bad/creepy. It's just that this was the breaking point for his moderator team.

Sadly, the mod culture there was incredibly mean at times. They've gotten better but it does force the posters to turn into groupthink at times. Certain sites (that I won't name) see the whole thing as a 'victory.'

Why the mods didn't quit the site when the owner would abuse the admin tools to silence people I don't know. Why a Facebook posting was 'the final straw' I don't know. What's even worse is that there are people who don't even believe the person alleging the abuse.

And that kind of shit he did would have gotten him killed too.

I tried really hard to get a NeoGAF account about 9 years ago, but their policy at the time was to reject anyone who signed up with a yahoo, hotmail or gmail account.  At the time I was living with my dad and didn't have an ISP email, so it never happened.  As time went by, that kind of inured me to the general bullshit of the site and my sour grapes directed me to quit caring.  I hope evilore gets what he deserves.

On 10/21/2017 at 12:42 AM, Sasha said:

Use the lobber. I spent about fifteen tries using the roundabout and went nowhere, but the lobber wiped him out quick. It's especially handy on the second phase.

I have 3 coins, and I need 4 for the lobber.  :(

No worries!   I defeated him this weekend with a mix of the peashooter and the roundabout.   Lord was that painful.   The Bee lady was tough (and custom friggin built for lobber death) but I got past her in a few hours between the Dolphins GLORIOUS victory and TLC.  

I instantly got shredded by the rats with the pick axes.  So, they must die horribly.  THIS  I COMMAND!

I don't think there's been a game as difficult and fun at the same time as Cuphead. They really nailed it. I've spent an hour or so on some of the bosses and not once did I feel like the game was cheating me. Such a breath of fresh air.

• Like 3

I don't think I've commented on a message board or a website devoted to video games since I quit going on GAMEFAQS over a decade ago. I actually could not login to the account tied ot that either because I don't think I possess that email address anymore.

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I don't think I've commented on a message board or a website devoted to video games since I quit going on GAMEFAQS over a decade ago. I actually could not login to the account tied ot that either because I don't think I possess that email address anymore.

Probably better that you don't - gamefaqs is a youtube comment level toilet

33 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Probably better that you don't - gamefaqs is a youtube comment level toilet

I have zero desire to go back there. It was pretty bad when I was a regular. Especially since I used to do WWF/E GSB and the type.

first, I'm readjusting my score for GETTING OVER IT WITH BENNETT FODDY to a 3. apparently fairly late in the climb there's a screamer jumpscare, and I handle that shit excessively poorly. So knowing that's coming has pretty much walled that game off from me, which is a bummer, but I still deeply adore the philosophy behind it. Next...

... okay I understand that my experience with this game is largely fueled by being housebound while I slowly rehab this fuckin' stupid leg, but...

DESTINY 2 [3] - ...that was it? Y... you sure? Like, that was maybe eight hours of campaign. There wasn't a chance to build any characters to be any kind of interesting. They accidentally made the Speaker interesting, and squandered that immediately. Everyone else was just a non-character that would talk for FIFTEEN HOURS if you let them. Everything that happens when someone isn't talking is pretty great though. I went from hating five types of guns to only one (still don't get the fusion rifle people). I got my thundergod spec after the campaign and giggled upon our reunion. I am still interested in playing it, even though I am not entirely convinced that my friend group will jump games to it.

Special shout out to Failsafe, who's "mean voice" sounds almost exactly like my abusive ex. So, the biggest mission with Failsafe was fighting my least favorite enemy to save my least favorite character while someone cosplaying as the worst thing* to ever happen to me taunted me. To quote a podcast I love, "It's like the death penalty of tortures, except your balls hurt all the time."
*#1 seed in the Non-Cancer Division

DRAGON QUEST 4 [3] - While i often have to remind myself that this is the last NES game of the series, as a way to explain away the weird world that feels half-filled, it's otherwise a good, charming JRPG. The introduction passage has a lot of weird starts and stops, but it has a very well defined peak that is some of the most fun I've ever had playing an RPG. I'm specifically talking about the turn you spend with Torneko, an assistant weapon salesman who wants to start his own business. it has made me want to see an RPG Maker game that is entirely about a goal like this- not about saving the world, just about taking something small and making it something grand. There has to be one out there, right?

CURRENT DRAGON QUEST QUEST RANKING (best to worst): 7, 5, 4, 1, 9, 2 

HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE [in progress] - The absolute strongest intro I have ever seen in a narrative game. I've never seen anything like it. It is a horror game not in the sense of murder monsters or jumpscares, but in having a profound disquiet that, at least in my case, makes me want to see more while knowing full well I'm going to have to pace myself and try not to play it too close to bed. One of my friends says this is their game of the year. I'm only forty minutes in, but I see the flashes of it and I want to see it all very, very badly before the year's over.

I WENT BACK TO TITANFALL 2 BECAUSE IT WAS $12 ON PSN FOR A WEEK THERE AND ALL MY FRIENDS GOT IT [4] - This game is so fucking good and I had forgotten just how good. It's so good that even though you can clearly see the difference between an experienced and an unexperienced player, the distance to close that gap is never inaccessible. You just have to be ready to learn. Plus, EVERYTHING in that game feels great. Shooting, moving, running, jumping, the robots, all of it. It is a shame that EA has such a hard time selling anything that's not already a major franchise in some sense, because god DAMN Titanfall deserves better.

22 minutes ago, BL88 said:

HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE [in progress] - The absolute strongest intro I have ever seen in a narrative game. I've never seen anything like it. It is a horror game not in the sense of murder monsters or jumpscares, but in having a profound disquiet that, at least in my case, makes me want to see more while knowing full well I'm going to have to pace myself and try not to play it too close to bed. One of my friends says this is their game of the year. I'm only forty minutes in, but I see the flashes of it and I want to see it all very, very badly before the year's over.

Funnily - I was just searching this thread to see if anyone had played this yet as I have been fascinated by it since it came out and think it will be one of the first things I play after I eventually get a PS4... even if it will fuck me up for a long time