DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

I haven't played a single one of the Lego games, even though they cover a lot of series that I like (Star Wars in particular). Am I missing anything? I assume they must be at least moderately fun if there are so many, but it also is concerning how fast they pump them out. Reviews are always solid but no one ever says they are 'must play.' Anyone play them and can recommend one or are they all just kinda the same mindless fun?

There is a lot of the same mindless fun

Some are better than others - like I found the Harry Potter and LOTR ones to be slogs.

The original Star Wars trilogy was amazing but is somewhat dated now (especially since the have improved the game play in future games)

The Force Awakens game is good in that fills in some of the story gaps with cannon details

The Marvel and DC Lego games are great for the sheer amount of characters you can play as (specifically Marvel Superheros and Batman 3). In fact, they make the idea of buying characters for Lego Dimensions massively frustrating.

What sucks is that the only LEGO games this year are Lego Worlds and Lego City Undercover - at least announced

You would have thought they would be doing a Lego Episode VIII but nothing has been announced

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

What sucks is that the only LEGO games this year are Lego Worlds and Lego City Undercover - at least announced

My sleep deprived brain misread that second one as Lego Underworld for a minute.  Now I kind of want to see Lego Kate Beckinsale.

I'd love to give Playstation Now a whirl because of the selection of stuff I want to go through.

I'm against dropping $70 for a Dual Shock 4 when I have a perfectly good Dual Shock 3 and 2 wired XBox 360 controllers around.

I can't comment on the PC app, but I got my $100 out of PS Now easily last year.  Probably didn't get enough out of it to justify the $45/quarter it costs if you don't buy in during the holiday window.

My first run at Darkening of Tristram with a fresh-out-of-the-oven Crusader has hit a snag on floor 15, with doors I can't get to open.  (ETA: I found the switches I had overlooked before 5m after this post and beat the Dark Lord, hitting 19 when I did.) Other than that, it's been fun but a little on the easy side; the Butcher was a fight for my life, but I pulled through with judicious use of dive rolls. Leoric I didn't realize was a side boss on the third floor, so I had to backtrack to kill him when I was already Lv 14 and on floor 11.  Oops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I can't comment on the PC app, but I got my $100 out of PS Now easily last year.  Probably didn't get enough out of it to justify the $45/quarter it costs if you don't buy in during the holiday window.

My first run at Darkening of Tristram with a fresh-out-of-the-oven Crusader has hit a snag on floor 15, with doors I can't get to open.  (ETA: I found the switches I had overlooked before 5m after this post and beat the Dark Lord, hitting 19 when I did.) Other than that, it's been fun but a little on the easy side; the Butcher was a fight for my life, but I pulled through with judicious use of dive rolls. Leoric I didn't realize was a side boss on the third floor, so I had to backtrack to kill him when I was already Lv 14 and on floor 11.  Oops.

Its been a long time since I played the original, but I thought Leoric was a regular boss back then. Always enjoyed fighting the Butcher. He was fun and vindictive boss.

23 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

I'd love to give Playstation Now a whirl because of the selection of stuff I want to go through.

I'm against dropping $70 for a Dual Shock 4 when I have a perfectly good Dual Shock 3 and 2 wired XBox 360 controllers around.

You can easily  find DS4s for $40 or less. 

8 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I went through on a brand new Sorceress and had more trouble getting gear then anything else. It's definitely meant to be a fun side area, not a remake of the old grind. Makes me want to see if I can get the old game to run on this machine, but then I'd want to play D2, and I already don't have enough hours in the day. ;-)

Gears of War 3 takes forever to get through when you are trying to be careful and keep an eye out for collectables.

If there is a bright side, I've gotten good at kneecapping Locusts so that I can swap weapons and get in some executions.

I have not figured out how to do a curbstomp.

Still playing through Tales of Maj'Eyal on PC and still am getting my butt whopped up on. At least I have gotten to level 20 a few times. 

On Xbox One, been playing Dragon Age: Inquisition through EA access and having a blast with my noble male warrior. So far it is not as good as Origins but super fun nonetheless. Just went to Val Royeaux for the first time so I still have tons to do and cannot wait to delve deeper into the game in the coming weeks. 

Over the past couple of weeks, I've finished RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER and I AM SETSUNA.  Really liked them both.

I'm not sure if RISE was better or slightly worse than the first Tomb Raider reboot game.  They expanded everything in the sequel, as you would expect, but I really felt that one of the pleasures of the first game was how relatively compact and streamlined it was.  There were a lot of collectibles and challenges, but not TOO many; the sandbox was big, but not TOO expanisve, etc.  RISE wasn't quite at Ubisoft levels of map bloat, but they're trending that way.

I also think combat was worse off with the addition of the paramilitary enemies.  That made sense for UNCHARTED 2 (all the armor helped explain away why guys could tank full clips of ammo), but considering what makes playing Tomb Raider unique is the bow and arrow, adding enemies that can tank countless arrows and force you to use conventional firearms to get through their armor seems...counterintuitive to the spirit of the game?

I thought SETSUNA was the rare case where pursuing the Platinum trophy actually made the game more enjoyable.  In most games, you're just slogging through redundant shit to finish that trophy, but the SETSUNA trophies actually deepened my understanding of the combat engine.  Like, I had no idea what the fuck Fluxation was all about until I started going after those trophies.  And I acquired a bunch of Techs that I never would've if not for getting the rare drops from hunting the special monsters.

If you play that one, definitely go for the Platinum.  I think fully exploring everything SETSUNA has to offer really elevates it above being a decent 90's JRPG nostalgia trip.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, as I've been hanging out this weekend, catching up on Giant Bomb content and watching a ton of the Games Done Quick streams from this past week, I realized that I now spend *way* more time watching other people play video games than I do playing them myself. Not even sure why that is (other than my primary console being at my girlfriend's house and not available several days a week).

Some of the AGDQ stuff is worth a watch. Really enjoyed the Vice City run. The speedrun community finds some really interesting ways to break games. 

• Like 2

I have gotten so much play out of Prison Architect since buying it. I was on the fence about buying it for a long time because I wasn't really connecting the graphic look I was seeing to a semi-serious game, and was kind of worried it would be too Roller Coaster Tycoon cutesy (which is GREAT for that setting but would be out of place here). But as a game it actually works pretty well and it's amazing how into it you can get watching your prison run. It's a really fascinating game that manages to be fun but also give the smallest odd insight into prison life. There's a good variety of settings. The escape mode is a laugh too, though I think it's better in a downloaded prison by someone else than using your own because you know your own prison's weaknesses TOO well.

There have been times I've found certain control elements slightly frustrating, or wondered "why is this happening", but there is basically always a logical explanation that makes sense once you find it. It's just that Prison Architect doesn't hold your hand as much as we've all become accustomed to in the last 15 years of mostly challenge-less gaming. Pretty much everything has a logical explanation, it's just not a game with flashing arrows saying WIN BUTTON HERE STUPID.

Also, it's nice to see a game that was actually in Early Access at one point that (1) wasn't a blatant scam or (2) was bought by 14 people and a dog in the Ukraine that has been abandonware for 14 months. A real, honest to goodness development success story that is still getting updates.

• Like 1