DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

True story, I actually had to look in the manual to see where the power and eject buttons were when I bought my PS4 so you have my sympathy @AxB

I'm enjoying Hitman too @BL88 but massively stuck on Marrakesh at the minute. I think the fact that I keep dropping the game and picking it back up months later isn't helping me much either

3 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

True story, I actually had to look in the manual to see where the power and eject buttons were when I bought my PS4 so you have my sympathy @AxB

I'm enjoying Hitman too @BL88 but massively stuck on Marrakesh at the minute. I think the fact that I keep dropping the game and picking it back up months later isn't helping me much either

Just find a guide for Marrakesh. There's like so few options that are clear at all and with the way the rest of the game opens up, it's worth just getting through Marrakesh as fast as possible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

After looking at the preview videos, I'm actually pretty stoked for this year's MLB The Show. Been 2 years since I've bothered with it. I always play franchise mode. I've never played Road to the Show, but after seeing the clips posted, it looks very nice. 

I just don't know what team is going to want to sign a 31 year old contact hitting, reliable second baseman who's been out of the game for years. 

#nevergiveup

What did you think of the retro mode?

To me, it wasn't "retro" enough.

OOOH LOOK I CAN MOVE AROUND THE BATTER'S BOX!!! OMG!!!!

Maybe it's more in depth with it's retro-city past that, but that seemed to be the only thing that stood out.

...and I platinumed Horizon: Zero Dawn. It's not a perfect game - it is in some ways obvious that this is Guerilla's first shot at an open-world game like this - but it is the most fun I've had with a game in awhile. I'm not shocked that someone from Fallout: New Vegas wrote the story because it was actually really fucking good (maybe not even "for a video game"). 

It was so good that I'm sad that it's over. I might poke around random ruins to try and find as many of the datapoints as possible. The DLC that comes out is an insta-buy for me. So good. 

• Like 1

Still enjoying Nuclear Throne though to be honest I wonder just how much better my reflexes will allow me to get. My high score is 585, loop 1 1-2. This is good in the context that many players never even get to the loop, but still pretty bad in the context of daily high scores. Granted most of the top players there are people that have played for 2 years plus. Great, great game and I can see why it's been ripped off quite a bit since its release.

I've also fired up Death Road to Canada which is on sale on Steam this week. Very funny game without sacrificing being interesting to play. The shorthand description of it is that it's got an Oregon Trail style setup but with zombie themed events based on you trying to survive driving from Florida to the safe haven of The Greatest Nation On Earth. It can be a little tough but it achieves the important thing a rogue-like needs, which is being fun to play even if you die. Plus you can add custom characters to meet on your journeys so you too can live the dream of facing down the zombies on a team with Krieg from borderlands, Bill Murray, and John Cena. I have only had it a few days but already feel like I got my money's worth out of it. Seems to still be getting updates, too.

• Like 1

I've been screwing around with various things on Playstation Now this week.

Sonic Unleashed: Not near as bad as its reputation.  Not particularly good, mind you, but a solid B- or C+.  That said, the idea of making a Sonic game that's a combo-focused God of War clone half the time is still a stupid-ass idea...but I don't hate having spent a couple hours with it.

Guilty Gear Xrd REVELATOR: All the way back to X, I keep giving GG chances and getting frustrated.  The presentation for this game is FUCKING AWESOME; the music is still glorious and the cel-shaded 3D graphics let them do some really cinematic stuff with supers and Instant Kills.  But it's still Guilty Gear, and the mechanics and rhythm of the game are still much harder for me to get into than a Capcom or Netherealm game.

Sonic the Fighters: I paid nothing for this and I want my money back.  Even for 20 years ago it feels primitive and sad.

Cuboid: I'm pretty sure this is a ripoff of a Flash game I played 15 years ago.  I can't call it good, but it's weirdly compelling anyway.

Warriors Orochi 3: Literally the only Musou game I've ever beaten more than 2 stages in is the first Fist of the North Star game.  The streak continues.

echochrome: I loved this on PSP.  The console version is harder for me to lose myself in, but it's still the best thing I played this week.

I'm totally unsurprised that they announced PS4 games coming to PSNow within a week of MS announcing a netflix-like service for XBone.  I expect to keep having trouble finding something to really invest in (as I continue to avoid RDR because it will eat my life).

Got done with the online trophies for Binary Domain and Quantum Theory this weekend and last weekend so....go me?

Messing around with Dark Souls II and got 88% of the trophies. Doing NG+ and trying to beat Vendrick on NG+. Hopefully I will be able to do Licia of Linfeldt's invasion for a miracle spell then trying to do the Darklurker stuff for two hexes. After that, it's the NG++ pyromancy and miracle and a Platinum.

Trying and failing to git gud at Disc Jam.  Given my general disregard for anything without a 1p  mode with progression, I'm not sure why I keep smashing my head on this particular brick wall.  But today I finally won a round, and repeatedly came within 5p of winning 2 of 3.  I still feel like the skill curve framebox is way too short, but that's probably because I'm old and slow.

I bought PES recently and have spent quite a bit of time with it because I'm waiting until the next FIFA comes out to upgrade (from '14, no less). 

Question: Why do many people argue that PES is better than FIFA? It takes a herculean effort to mark someone properly, and even then, it's easy to turn or split defenders. It plays closer to Virtua Striker than FIFA, which would be great except I wanted a good sim, not an arcade soccer game. If I wanted something more arcadey, I'd play Virtua Striker or Sega Soccer Slam.

Side note: Sega used to make great arcade soccer games. 

Sure, I wouldn't dispute that. However, PES is often touted as a competitor to FIFA by pretty much everyone, and it is not very good as a sim. Frankly, it's not as good as Virtua Striker on the pick-up-and-play, arcade-style end (Sega Soccer Slam is probably better compared to Mario Strikers). It sort of tries to serve two masters, but the sim elements are undercooked and the more arcadey gameplay isn't quite as satisfying as other arcade-style game that retain a semblance of sim elements.

It's still keeping me fed until the new FIFA, though, so that's something positive. 

Mad Catz is dead

Following a lengthy struggle with financial insolvency, gaming peripheral maker Mad Catz has formally ceased all operation. The company’s directors and officers have all resigned, and its assets will be liquidated. The company that spent nearly three decades pumping out PC and console gaming gear is no more.

http://kotaku.com/hardware-maker-mad-catz-dies-1793897671

So I'd been on the fence with buying Darkest Dungeon for the longest time, having heard both sides of the coin from "great game high replay value good challenge" to "too hard too much RNG my face hurts", but I finally watched some Youtube gameplay of it in the last week and realized it's exactly the kind of RPG I'm looking for at this point.

Dived into it a bit and it hasn't disappointed at all so far. The stress mechanic is so good, and simple, and I am left wondering why I've never seen it attempted before because it just makes so much sense.

Definitely going to be sinking time into that. Has a DLC coming soon as well that looks to be adding something about vampires and a new vampire hunting boss.

6 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Beat Infamous 2 today and it still holds up. The ending for good playthrough is sad but satisfying. Now I'm doing an evil/hard playthrough for a Platinum.

That's how I did them too - good first, will second. I would play easy for the good but the game adjusts difficulty so you're playing on hard pretty quickly anyway. 

So I got Ending B* in Nier Automata, and my love for this game has now completely doubled in size. I still don't know that I can recommend it easily, but at this point it's my front runner for Game of the Year. And with how hard they're catering to all of the weird little idiosyncrasies I have with games and narratives, I can only see this love growing and growing.

*the game has an ending for every letter in the alphabet. only a few of them are canonical storyline endings, the rest are like "oh you ate this poison thing, nice job idiot"

Got as far as the first meeting with Igor in P5 today (I had an obligation this evening that kept me from devoting real time to it). So far I'm loving the jazzy presentation and the cat-burglar theme is awesome.  Really not a fan of Igor's new voice, though; when I see that character, I hear Dan Woren and this deeper, more modulated voice just feels wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Got as far as the first meeting with Igor in P5 today (I had an obligation this evening that kept me from devoting real time to it). So far I'm loving the jazzy presentation and the cat-burglar theme is awesome.  Really not a fan of Igor's new voice, though; when I see that character, I hear Dan Woren and this deeper, more modulated voice just feels wrong.

Yeah I only got an hour into the game myself, but holy crap is the game slick and stylish.  Even the fight menus are relatively non-intrusive comaped to past iterations.  I found it interesting that Igor talks of fighting the distortion, yet his own voice has distortion in it.  All I know right now is I can't wait to dive into it more after work.

I have finished Nier Automata.

In the post-conclusion delight, I feel a little prone to hyperbole.
It's definitely one of the best games on this generation of consoles.
It might be my new favorite video game
If not that, it might be my new favorite narrative-heavy video game.
If not that, it might be my new favorite ending.

Regardless, I believe that anyone who is interested in games as a storytelling medium should play Nier: Automata. It is a story that cannot feasibly be expressed in any other medium.