DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

He and Omega do stuff together every year and this is the second or third time they've given a list to Giant Bomb.

Speaking of Giant Bomb, Hitsmas is back!

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/holiday-specialtacular-2017-hitsmas/2300-12717/

Presumably that was before someone in the office had a burr in their saddle about the bullet club.

My brother got me a copy of Persona 5 for PS4 this Christmas. The girlfriend told him to - I've only recently got into the series, don't have a lot of PS4 games, and it seems to be the #2 Game of the Year  2017 (between Zelda and Mario). Alas, it was the wrong call and I had to return it.

So I'd like to thank the employees and customers of the Gamestop on Sinclair Lane in East Baltimore for absolutely ROASTING me for doing so. Never mind that I'm currently halfway in to Persona 3: FES and plan on beating 4 before starting 5, or that I fully expect a deluxe edition in the vein of FES or Golden to be out by the time I'm ready to play it; Persona 5 is clearly the best game of this year or any other and I am the most pitiable sort of fool for denying it. To be fair, the light-hearted scorn of every dreadlocked dude in a Dragon Ball Z t-shirt DOES make me look forward to it more.

• Like 1

Speaking of Gamestop, what the hell happened to it?  I guess they stopped making money.

I walked into a Gamestop last week for the first time in a least a couple years.  Looked at racks of Star Wars merch, pop culture t-shirts, those weird Fumko dolls (I'm not really sure what they are), etc.  I actually walked back outside and looked up at the sign to make sure I was in the right place.

When I went back in, clerks were watching me bemusedly.  One of them said something to the effect of "Yeah, we've gone through some changes lately".  You don't say.  I guess they're getting into pop culture bric-a-brac to keep the doors open?

Also came across a guy on eBay this morning who is selling what are almost assuredly counterfeit Nintendo 64 cartridges.  LOl, really?  In 2018, there's a market for counterfeit Mario 64 cartridges?

That said, I'm kinda tempted to buy Conker's Bad Fur Day off him for $25.  Kinda curious.

Heh, I went into a Gamestop for the first time in a few years and had a similar experience.  I'm not bothered by them shifting focus, because lord knows Amazon is eating everyone's lunch, but the store just looked like garbage.  There were heaps of stuff everywhere with no real order or organization.  

12 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Per that article, they didn't even shoot the gamer cause he gave a false address. They shot a random person. When he opened the door.

Damn, I had missed that part.

Today's the day that marks me getting a 100th Platinum! My 100th Platinum is Sly Cooper & The Thievius Racconnus for Vita. Which turns out to be my 1st Platinum six years ago.

I have to say trophy hunting and Platinum hunting has changed my life for the better. When I started doing this six years ago, I couldn't find work and I didn't have enough self-confidence to feel like I would be able to find a decent job again. I started Platinum hunting as an outlet and it taught me a lot of things. It taught me patience, perservance, and helped me realize my strengths as a person to become a better person. Six years later, I have a full-time job that I've been working since 2014 and I'm excited to take that same kind of mentality to where I work. Although where I work will not be the final destination for me in my career, I have used trophy hunting and Platinum hunting on PSN during job interviews. 

I'm very grateful to share this with you and here's to 1000 more!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Speaking of Gamestop, what the hell happened to it?  I guess they stopped making money.

I walked into a Gamestop last week for the first time in a least a couple years.  Looked at racks of Star Wars merch, pop culture t-shirts, those weird Fumko dolls (I'm not really sure what they are), etc.  I actually walked back outside and looked up at the sign to make sure I was in the right place.

When I went back in, clerks were watching me bemusedly.  One of them said something to the effect of "Yeah, we've gone through some changes lately".  You don't say.  I guess they're getting into pop culture bric-a-brac to keep the doors open?

Also came across a guy on eBay this morning who is selling what are almost assuredly counterfeit Nintendo 64 cartridges.  LOl, really?  In 2018, there's a market for counterfeit Mario 64 cartridges?

That said, I'm kinda tempted to buy Conker's Bad Fur Day off him for $25.  Kinda curious.

There are a ton of bootleg cartridges out there, but now they usually use the term "reproductions".  More than likely the guy bought his stuff from a Chinese site like Aliexpress for like $5-10 and is trying to flip them.

And Gamestop is indeed losing a lot of money.  Their stock is down by around 30%. 

Browsing "reproduction" games on the Internet.  Ok, I can kinda see why you would buy a bootleg of a game that is rare and/or expensive.  There's a number of N64/SNES/PSOne and 2 games from the end of the systems life cycle that I would mind owning and playing, but probably wouldn't want to pay the going rate on the second-hand market.  Conker's Bad Fur Day, for example.  I'll probably buy a copy eventually, but right now, I'm not seriously thinking spending the $60-$100 it would take to buy a copy.

But.... bootleg SNES NBA Jam for $25 on eBay?  That's not valuable or rare.  You can likely walk into a store that sells that vintage games or buy a copy off eBay for $10 or so.  Probably less.  I think I paid in the neighborhood of $5-$8 when I bought my copy a few years ago.

13 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

their latest idea is to turn themselves into Blockbuster Video for games.

Basically "You pay us $20 a month. In return, you get to treat our pre-owned games like it was the library. Bring game back, immediately take another out., no charge (except monthly)

The one they halted was not an awful plan. It was I think 6 months for $60 and you got to keep a game at the end of it.

Games I beat this year

Ys chronicles (#2 is fucking amazing)

Ys Oath in Felghana (goddamned miracle game)

Ys Ark of Napishtim (needed the crystal warp)

Ys 7

Ys Memories of Celceta (lame last boss)

Gremlins 2

new zelda

new mario

blaster master zero

played a shit ton of binding of issac

cave story (hated the whole last part)

golf story (GREAT)

rayman legends

got to the dark world on End is Nigh.

donkey kong country returns 3D

3DS Metroid

Nayuta no Kiseki (GREAT)

Wolfenstein Old blood (shitty last boss)

Moai Kun

Death's cold embrace thief fan campaign

accountant 1&2 dark mod missions

Been playing Ys origins as my christmas game.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AxB said:

Fortnight Battle Royal is OK for a free game. I got into the top 10 (nb: It's a hundred person battle royal) in my third try ever.

Just making sure I understand correct

It's only the Battle Royal part that is free and if/when they release the campaign mode, that is what you have to buy - correct?

Beat Wolfenstein 2.  Got to the part where the dudes arm was missing and stopped playing for three and a half weeks.  Then I beat it today.  Was pretty good until that fucking lameass djent we're not gonna take it cover at the end.  Holy shitballs.  They're just putting the lyrics over some unrelated schlock.

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just making sure I understand correct

It's only the Battle Royal part that is free and if/when they release the campaign mode, that is what you have to buy - correct?

Yes, exactly that. Battle Royal is free to play and pay to look fancy (not pay to win). The actual campaign mode you have to buy (it's in early access). right now

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic