DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

If you have a Vita (not sure who here does), do not buy Jak & Daxter Collection. Jak & Daxter is barely playable and a lot of the game mechanics become broken due to the lowered framerate. I'm on the last area of the game and can't seem to get Jak to do a basic double jump/ledge grab without falling to his death. Terrible port. Stick with the PS3 Jak & Daxter Collection or get the PS4 bundle (which includes Jak X!) whenever that goes on sale. 

I learned that the hard way when I bought the PS3 collection, finished the first game but not the sequels, and thought portability would encourage me to continue.  They're really, really bad ports. :(

The PSN Holiday sale has renewed my fury at the way Pinball FX3 has arranged PFX2/Zen Pinball 2 content.  The arrangement of content that was previously only offered one table at a time into packs means that it will cost me more now to complete my collection than it would have a year ago.

Activision announced today the company has delivered the No. 1 and No. 2 top-selling console video games in North America this year (based on revenues), continuing a string of chart-topping title releases in 2017. At No. 1 on the 2017 video game sales chart, Call of Duty: WWII, which has already surpassed $1 billion in sell-through worldwide since its launch last month, is the top-selling console video game of the year in North America, extending Call of Duty’s run as the No. 1 top selling console video game franchise in North America for nine consecutive years, based on revenue. Developed by Bungie, Destiny 2 secured its status as the No. 2 highest-selling console video game in North America for the year, based on revenue, while also becoming the biggest PC launch in Activision Publishing history, based on units. Additionally, Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, is the No. 1 top selling remastered collection in PS4 history.

Activision also said that Destiny 2 has already outsold Destiny (Based on units)

Obviously I feel like that there is probably a lot of fudging of numbers in there but there ya go

That list probably does not include digital sales.  If it did, Breath of the Wild would be in that discussion.

SW: BF2 is also selling well despite the loot box controversy.  The critical acclaim of The Last Jedi saved EA's financial ass.

• Like 1

I know there is a Saints Row thread but I am not digging it up. I really only post this in case it somehow effects someone looking to Platinum or something

Update on My Steelport...

The My Steelport server is being closed from January 31st. This means character and screenshot sharing services in Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row IV will no longer be available after that date.

The decision to switch off the servers was difficult for us and not taken lightly. We want our fans to enjoy our work for as long as possible. However more than 4 years after Saints Row IV released, we have experienced a significant reduction in the numbers of players using these services.

We believe our resources are now better spent on preparing for the future! We'd like to thank everyone who has used and enjoyed the content sharing and community features on SaintsRow.com for their support.

Here's hoping that Volition gives up on Agents of MAYHEM and pumps out another proper Saints Row game soon.

The game itself has no major flaws, but there are a thousand tiny issues that just grate on your nerves.

23 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

If you have a Vita (not sure who here does), do not buy Jak & Daxter Collection. Jak & Daxter is barely playable and a lot of the game mechanics become broken due to the lowered framerate. I'm on the last area of the game and can't seem to get Jak to do a basic double jump/ledge grab without falling to his death. Terrible port. Stick with the PS3 Jak & Daxter Collection or get the PS4 bundle (which includes Jak X!) whenever that goes on sale. 

Too late.

I assumed that it sucked because Naughty Dog made it, which is probably still a safe assumption, but the framerate is pretty bad. 

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

That list probably does not include digital sales.  If it did, Breath of the Wild would be in that discussion.

SW: BF2 is also selling well despite the loot box controversy.  The critical acclaim of The Last Jedi saved EA's financial ass.

It's also been a bit of a bonanza to BioWare Austin, who does the Star Wars MMO. New players all over the place. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

The My Steelport shutdown may or may not effect Saints Row IV Re-Elected for PS4/XB1, but it may be a good idea to get that done. I already Platinum'ed SR:TT and SRIV (most fun open world games I've ever played). 

I also Plartinumed SR:TT after revisiting it to knock out the DLC.  Once I beat SRIV when it was Free With Gold, I was sorta done for good.

1 minute ago, JLSigman said:

It's also been a bit of a bonanza to BioWare Austin, who does the Star Wars MMO. New players all over the place. 

Yes, my long suffering friend who plays TOR says that business has picked up and he's noticed an uptick of people trying to get into some of the private SWG servers as well.  I didn't know those things were still around.

On 20/12/2017 at 4:18 PM, jaedmc said:

I JUST FINISHED THE FIRST SIX MEGA MAN GAMES. MY CHILDHOOD AVENGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only one I actually owned as a kid, oddly, was Mega Man 4. I still think it's a pretty underrated game, and all those old Mega Man games have killer soundtracks.

So my aunt and uncle bought me some XB1 gift cards and so I bought Witcher 3 complete edition and FFXV complete. I haven't played a FF since 7 or 8 on PS1.  

So far, Witcher looks so gorgeous. I have stopped a few times just to admire the graphics. I usually don't do that and never look for brilliant graphics but wow, the sky when a storm is rolling in is something else. Played FFXV for a couple hours and loving everything so far. Not using the op ragnarok weapon I got with the complete edition as it made all early combat a joke and I wasn't learning to use no abilities. Both games should keep me busy until spring/summer. 

8 hours ago, JustJay said:

So far, Witcher looks so gorgeous. I have stopped a few times just to admire the graphics. I usually don't do that and never look for brilliant graphics but wow, the sky when a storm is rolling in is something else. 

I wasn't planning on getting Witcher until a couple of friends kept posting pictures of the skies and fields. Just amazing use of the technology. If it wasn't so dangerous, you'd want to just go riding about everywhere.

• Like 1

My ten-plus-one favorite games of the year, in no particular order except for the first one, which is the best of the best:

Super Mario Odyssey:They finally made an actually good 3D Mario platformer again! What puts this over the top is the effective use of music, from "Jump Up, Super Star!" to some random J-Pop during the ending sequence. 

Pyre: It's NBA Jam except that when your team wins, the dog or demon or flying harpy person on your team who you've become extremely close to leaves you forever in order to foment a rebellion that you are personally invested in seeing succeed. So what I'm saying is that the stakes are higher than simply beating Pippen and Rodman in a game of two-on-two.

Everybody's Golf: It's more Hot Shots Golf except with more unlockables. That's good for my top ten in any year.

Hidden Folks: It's Where's Waldo with the best sound effects in a game maybe ever, for real. Also, I miss Where's Waldo. 

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: It's not as good as everyone says it is, but it's still pretty good. I mean, I put like two hundred hours into it. The DLC actually makes me less high on it, though. I'm probably burned out on Zelda for a good five years. Still a great game, though. 

Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle: It's better than X-COM, and hear me out on this, because it's actually fun to get across a battle map in Mario and Rabbids and having my shot chances at a simple 100%/50%/0% eliminates all the "I had three people with 90%+ chances to hit miss and then they all died" stuff that I know is a perfectly common example of probability, but which feels unfair. 

Fire Pro Wrestling World: It's more Fire Pro, but bigger! That's good for my top ten in any year. 

Picross S: Pictogram puzzles are the right level of challenge for me, so any set of well-put-together Pictogram puzzles is going to rank highly on my list. Great for pre-bedtime play, too. 

Pro Evolution Soccer 2018: The physics and collision detection in this game are excellent. Also, it doesn't play in such an arcade-style way anymore. It feels like a proper sim and got me to quit FIFA for awhile (except for on Switch, where I did, in fact, pay sixty dollars for the gimped portable FIFA 18 release that is still the best portable soccer game of all time).

Horizon: Zero Dawn: I still need to go back and play the DLC, but this was the best action-adventure open-world game where you had to scale a bunch of shit this year. I hate these fuckin' terms, but the world-building was excellent, as was the lore and fuck me, I feel like I should wash my mouth out with soap. Also, it actually has engaging combat on very hard and ultra-hard, combat being a weak link for pretty much every other high-profile action-adventure game that came out this year.

Injustice 2: This is the fighting game for guys in their mid-thirties with slowly-eroding reflexes who still want to do cool combos and shit and also don't really like to play online against sixteen-year-olds with twitchy fingers and too much time on their hands to practice so instead the game gives a bunch of single-player stuff to do that doesn't get old. So me. This game is for me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Just a heads up that if you have a Path of Exile account before today, you can claim a free "Fire and Ice Mystery Box" as a Christmas present. I have literally no clue what they can contain, but hey. Free.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2057801

Oh nice, and I didn't have to go in game to get it. I need to update and get back in Abyss, but then Titan Quest Ragnarok showed up and I've been, ah, somewhat obsessed occupied.