DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Text from my kid:  HEY DAD YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS AWESOME GAME CALLED DOKI DOKI LITERATURE CLUB!!!!

Text from me:        uh, no.

"The Literature Club is full of cute girls! Will you write the way into their heart? This game is not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed."

• Haha 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I picked up the HD re-release of Okami. I never got to play it on initial release, so I'm looking forward to working my way through it on my holiday break.

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

"The Literature Club is full of cute girls! Will you write the way into their heart? This game is not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed."

just want to make this clear for everyone: that is the actual steam page description.

fffec3037f.png

and as someone who's seen a full playthrough of it- JT, your kid is devious (or at least they want to be).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/10/2017 at 12:17 AM, JustJay said:

So Hearthstone's newest expansion hit on Thursday. I don't have any funds to buy any packs and only had 1700 saved up but the new Dungeon Run mode is so much fun. Been almost strictly playing that. So far I have beat it with 5 of the 9 classes. Rogue and Priest have been the biggest stumbling blocks for me. The boss fights seem far and fun. Each run is so different from the last. I hope they add more to it in each expansion.

I'll co-sign this.  My son and I have had a great time with Dungeon Runs. 

Yay, my first double post...  I think.

I dusted off my copy of Rock Band 3 last week.  I looked at the songs I'd gold starred and decided pick up the microphone again.  My voice was practically dead by the fifth song.  At this point, I'm not sure how I used to play for hours all those years ago.  I'm guessing magic.

14 hours ago, BL88 said:

just want to make this clear for everyone: that is the actual steam page description.

fffec3037f.png

and as someone who's seen a full playthrough of it- JT, your kid is devious (or at least they want to be).

My daughter is a chip off the old block and is an aficionado of most things macabre.  I'm sure she's played the game secretly under her mom's nose and knows that her old man likes scary shit, so she just wanted to share the wealth.

I admire the psychological horror aspects and the game mechanics are extremely clever.

It's the idea of a grown man having a game on his computer that on face value, looks like a Japanese schoolgirl dating sim that freaks me out..

2 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

So Doki Doki Literature Club isn't actually a Japanese dating sim marketed to pervy Westerners?

(I'm completely unfamiliar with it, obviously.)

No. It just looks like that on the surface. 

On 12/14/2017 at 8:03 AM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Question: I was giving some thought to picking up a PS3 or PS4, but I'm only really interested right now if the console can play PSX and PS2 games.  I'm mostly a fan of older consoles, but I wouldn't mind having a Sony console that can play new games + my older discs.  Not sure i'm interested enough right now to buy a PS3 or PS4 just for new games and still having to keep my PS2 hooked up.

It seems like all PS3's play PSX games.

My impression is that a a first generation PS3 (the fat console with 4 USB ports) can play PS2 games.  After that, they removed backwards compatibility (why?).  My impression is that b/c is still subject to region coding.  I.E., you can't play J-NTSC PS2 games on a b/c PS3.

I've looked into modding PS3's, but it seems like they can only play PS2 discs if you make an iso and burn it to a disc.  Not too interested in that route.  That's kinda what I want to get away from.  

PS4 seems to have no capability to play PSX/2/3 discs even if you mod the console.

Am I understanding all of this correctly?

I realize a lot of older titles are available via the PSN store.  Not particularly interested for a variety of reasons.  Mostly, i don't want to limit myself to whatever the PSN store has available.

All PS3s can play PSX games since the sound driver used in the PS3 is the same. The old PS3's can play PS2 games since they basically stuck the processing chip from the PS2 in the older PS3 models. They stopped doing it to cut down on costs and never bothered to work on true software emulation. You are correct about region coding being an issue.

Your best bet would be to find an older PS3 model.

My person pet peeve is that the PS3 games I downloaded don't work on the PS4. I have a bunch of puzzle games and old remakes that don't work on the PS4 (heck I'd love to play the Fire Pro Returns that was released online for PS3 on my PS4) so now I have both consoles in my living room.

After my girlfriend told me she hadn't bought me any video game-related stuff for Christmas, I immediately opened the SNES Classic I've been sitting on for two weeks.  I am so out of practice with early SF2 that I find charge characters utterly unplayable due to the longer charge time in SF2--Turbo than in later games where specials do less damage and thus require less charge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

After my girlfriend told me she hadn't bought me any video game-related stuff for Christmas, I immediately opened the SNES Classic I've been sitting on for two weeks.  I am so out of practice with early SF2 that I find charge characters utterly unplayable due to the longer charge time in SF2--Turbo than in later games where specials do less damage and thus require less charge.

I can probably top you: I took my SNES classic to a company Christmas party and a supervisor and myself tried to play Contra III: The Alien Wars. We couldn't even get past the first stage. He then proceeded to beat me and about two other people at Super Mario Kart. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Charge specials are always the only specials I could pull off at will. Used to piss me off when the computer would hit them when there's no way they could have been charging for 2 seconds. 

DESTINY 2 CURSE OF OSIRIS [2]
I liked everything up until the boss fight of the raid lair. Maybe it's just the group I roll with but I am good on playing Destiny for months now. Completely burned out, and I do not need to clear the raid lair to feel good about myself.

Haiku 1: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD BETA
Hitting Dinosaurs
With Conch-Shell Bagpipes? Confirmed:
Is Monster Hunter

TACOMA [4]
This was half off before the steam sale, which leads me to believe it wont be up during the steam sale, so I snapped it up. It's fantastic. For anyone who doesn't know what it is, it's the next game from the team behind Gone Home. Where Gone Home focused on a monologue, Tacoma focuses on dialogue. That's all I really want to say about it because for anyone that liked Gone Home, that'll be enough of a pitch.

Haiku 2: FIGHTING EX LAYER BETA
The monkey paw heard
"I'd main Skullomania
no matter what game."

TIME CLICKERS [imagining that the rating scale is a circle over a long enough distance, where something can start at 4 and wrap back around to one and somehow access both without settling on either]
At first, Time Clickers was excellent for my mental health. It's enough of a fidget stone to help me derail negative thought loops, and I need that recently. Then, one day, I noticed I had put 20 hours into it. In like a three week period. I was time clicking more than I was playing stuff or studying stuff or doing stuff. I've never had to uninstall a game for my own safety before, so, I'm glad I got that experience.

Haiku 3: STRAFE: MILLENIUM EDITION
"Maybe it's better?"
"Oh, Monthly Humble Bundle!"
"No. No it is not."

SUPERHOT: MIND CONTROL DELETE [3]
Okay so I think I got a key for this by mistake, because it awarded it to me for being a "backer" though I was not. Well, fukin watever, it's randomly generated roguelike SUPERHOT, so it's inherently better than every Action Roguelike ever made by being SUPERHOT. I will note, though, that it is VERY early in early access, so stages and setups are repeating each other quite frequently, but they're intending to get that fixed before full release next year.

The closest I ever come to rage-playing video games is trying to get through stages on Donkey Kong Country (SNES).

Still mulling over buying a PS3.  What do people think of the catalog?  I've browsed through the catalog of games for the system and I'm kinda underwhelmed by the support for the system, both in terms of quantity and quality.  Aside from the HD remakes of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X, and Final Fantasy X-2, not seeing a whole lot to interest me.  Don't seem like a lot of good rpg's pr platformers/platform shooters.

Am I overlooking a lot of good titles?

10 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

The closest I ever come to rage-playing video games is trying to get through stages on Donkey Kong Country (SNES).

Still mulling over buying a PS3.  What do people think of the catalog?  I've browsed through the catalog of games for the system and I'm kinda underwhelmed by the support for the system, both in terms of quantity and quality.  Aside from the HD remakes of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X, and Final Fantasy X-2, not seeing a whole lot to interest me.  Don't seem like a lot of good rpg's pr platformers/platform shooters.

Am I overlooking a lot of good titles?

Yes, you are. On the system there was Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (depending on your views either a great RPG or a frustrating experience), Shadows of the Damned (completely underrated Resident Evil like shooter from Shinji Mikami and Suda 51 AND published by EA), Vanquish (if you don't care about trophy completion, great game), Atelier series (very hard RPG's but very niche RPG's), Neptunia series (people hate the games so YMMV), and Resistance 3 (as close to a console Half-Life 3 as we are going to get). 

Oh, and Gunstar Heroes is for sale on PSN and works on PS3. 

Overall, the PS3 does seem disappointing and Sony didn't really find itself with the system until the end of its lifecycle. Third party publishers were essentially making PS2 games but with trophies on PS3 so a lot of them weren't impressive. 

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

No. It just looks like that on the surface. 

And then it makes a sharp left turn towards the Psychoville city limits.

It is the most brilliantly baited Weeaboo trap ever devised.

I really don't understand the point of the PS3 memory card adapter.  I'd need it to transfer PS2 saves to the PS3, right?  But I have to have the save on a memory card.  So, in a lot of cases, I'd still need a working PS2 to get the save from my computer to the PS2 memory card (for a game like Fire Pro Returns, i have a couple hundred saves downloaded and stored on my PC).  Which means i have to keep my PS2 around anyways.

Am I missing something?  Is there a way to download saves directly to the PS3?  So far as I can tell from Google, there isn't.  

I'm kinda souring on the backwards compatible PS3.  It looks like the going rate for a b/c PS3 is about $30-$40 more than the price for a used later gen PS3.  Probably just buy the later gen and save some money.

Also, regarding HD PS3 remixes of Final Fantasy X/X-2 and Kingdom Hearts, what is actually different graphically?  I know the games are based off the Japanese international/Final Mix versions of the games, so gameplay is slightly different.  Are the graphics basically just PS2 graphics optimized to look better on PS3?  The TV I have the gaming consoles connected to is HD compatible, but I don't have a HD hookup in that room.  No reason to since I seldom watch TV in there (we have five other TVs i the house) and the old game systems don't support HD.  Honestly, a sharp standard def picture is fine by me.

I'm wondering if say, PS3 Kingdom Hearts 1.5 is going to look the same with a standard def hookup as Kingdom Hearts on the PS2.  I already have the PS2 International/Final Mix  games.

Thanks.

If you have a Vita (not sure who here does), do not buy Jak & Daxter Collection. Jak & Daxter is barely playable and a lot of the game mechanics become broken due to the lowered framerate. I'm on the last area of the game and can't seem to get Jak to do a basic double jump/ledge grab without falling to his death. Terrible port. Stick with the PS3 Jak & Daxter Collection or get the PS4 bundle (which includes Jak X!) whenever that goes on sale.