DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

I have been replaying Dark Souls 1 (which holds up really, really well, it's a fantasically designed game more often than not). And goddamn, I still have no idea how anyone beats Ornstein and Smough without the summons' help, never mind speedrunners that have some strat to get out of that fight in under a minute. Fuck those two. It's really Dark Souls at its best.

Nothing in the game is more satisfying than popping that fat bastard's soul after that fight is over. Nothing.

So Hearthstone's newest expansion hit on Thursday. I don't have any funds to buy any packs and only had 1700 saved up but the new Dungeon Run mode is so much fun. Been almost strictly playing that. So far I have beat it with 5 of the 9 classes. Rogue and Priest have been the biggest stumbling blocks for me. The boss fights seem far and fun. Each run is so different from the last. I hope they add more to it in each expansion.

If you're a PS Plus  subscriber there's a Monster Hunter World beta available until tomorrow.  I haven't really had much time to mess with it but it looks nice and controls much less like ass than the other MH games I tried.

Street Fighter 5 Season 3 will be Sakura (who launches the same day as the Arcade Edition), Blanka, Cody, Sagat and two new characters. Fake is wearing Shadaloo gear and appears to be connected to Ed. G I have no idea about.

I am gonna go out on a limb and predict that the TMNT will be January's Injustice characters to steal a little thunder since the January DLC will be out either the same day or a week prior.

Sadly, I think they work on these packs in order and shittyass Enchantress will still be January.  I hope you're right though, I really want to play as the Turtles.

I've been playing Dead Rising 4: Frank's Big Package and loving it.  Here's the wrestling shit:

I did finish the Injustice 2 story on Saturday night. (Was about half-way through it before starting, and only intended to play a fight or two while I waited for my wife to get ready for us to go out. We never ended up going out, and I powered through both endings). These Netherrealm MK/Injustice stories are both engrossing and incoherent, and are a blast to play and get introduced to all of the characters.

I struggled a bit with Braniac due to the fact that his attacks deal such high damage, but I finally realize you just have to relentlessly spam him with combos and not get anything in to beat him. I also found Supergirl to not be very fun to control, so I struggled through some of her fights.

Unfortunately it would appear that even with the updates Monster Hunter is still very much Not My Thing.  The little cat guy you get was cute, though.

Diablo 3 and Path of Exile both have new-ish seasons going so it's ARPG overload at my house.

• Like 1

I just beat Pyre.

Now I wish that it had come out in 2016 so I could make it my personal game of the year instead of having it behind like three other games here in 2017. :(

Spent 90 minutes or so with Injustice 2 tonight, doing Atom's Battle Simulator arcade ladder and 3/4 of his gear quests.  Aside from a lackluster arcade ending, he's pretty much everything I wanted and might end up my new main (at least until TMNTuesday, whenever it may be).  He doesn't have a lot of combos and nothing over 3 buttons (which is good for me as a sloppy player), his specials are fun and are a good mix of shrinking, density shift and gadgets, and his Circle/B shrink power is great fun that is almost too button-mashy but not quite.  That power's going to be a PEST in online play, though.

So I've been playing a ton of Cities: Skylines at the night job and absolutely loving it.  It's infuriating and challenging and such a good time.

The game randomly generates street names and I'd never really looked at them before.  I was looking around waiting for my city to pull in more tax money when I nearly freaked out.  In one of my higher income residential areas I couldn't believe it when I saw the name of the main street was Julie Cooper Street.  Then my jaw just about hit the floor with the two roads that intersect it: Taylor St. and Townsend Rd!

I don't know if the devs are secret The OC fans or if this is just a really weird coincidence, but now I'm doing everything I can to plus that neighborhood because it's my favorite area in my city now.  

Hey, DVDVR gamers. I come to you in my hour of need.

What kind of gifts would be appreciated by a PS4 gamers which they're unlikely to already own?

I was eyeing an external hard drive because I know the person in question doesn't already own one and I sense it may come in handy. But I suspect that might be kind of a lame gift.

Any suggestions? Not saying the hard drive is out, but something on top of that seems merited. 

On 12/10/2017 at 1:17 AM, JustJay said:

So Hearthstone's newest expansion hit on Thursday. I don't have any funds to buy any packs and only had 1700 saved up but the new Dungeon Run mode is so much fun. Been almost strictly playing that. So far I have beat it with 5 of the 9 classes. Rogue and Priest have been the biggest stumbling blocks for me. The boss fights seem far and fun. Each run is so different from the last. I hope they add more to it in each expansion.

I just got back into Hearthstone after more than a year away. It may be 2 years actually. Do you play competitively? What's the best way to get into the competitive scene in Hearthstone now?

40 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

What kind of gifts would be appreciated by a PS4 gamers which they're unlikely to already own?

I was eyeing an external hard drive because I know the person in question doesn't already own one and I sense it may come in handy. But I suspect that might be kind of a lame gift.

Any suggestions? Not saying the hard drive is out, but something on top of that seems merited. 

Not sure how great it is but you can get a PSVR/Gran Turismo Sport bundle for $200 if you go to the right place

Question: I was giving some thought to picking up a PS3 or PS4, but I'm only really interested right now if the console can play PSX and PS2 games.  I'm mostly a fan of older consoles, but I wouldn't mind having a Sony console that can play new games + my older discs.  Not sure i'm interested enough right now to buy a PS3 or PS4 just for new games and still having to keep my PS2 hooked up.

It seems like all PS3's play PSX games.

My impression is that a a first generation PS3 (the fat console with 4 USB ports) can play PS2 games.  After that, they removed backwards compatibility (why?).  My impression is that b/c is still subject to region coding.  I.E., you can't play J-NTSC PS2 games on a b/c PS3.

I've looked into modding PS3's, but it seems like they can only play PS2 discs if you make an iso and burn it to a disc.  Not too interested in that route.  That's kinda what I want to get away from.  

PS4 seems to have no capability to play PSX/2/3 discs even if you mod the console.

Am I understanding all of this correctly?

I realize a lot of older titles are available via the PSN store.  Not particularly interested for a variety of reasons.  Mostly, i don't want to limit myself to whatever the PSN store has available.

14 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If they have a lot of games, the hard drive is a good idea.  Installs can be 40-50 GB so even a 1 TB will fill up fast.

Maybe a PS+ subscription and/or PSN card.