DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

is Hitman: Season One any good? I haven't played one since the original on PC when it first came out, but I tried to demo and it was fun enough. I'm getting it from Gamefly in a few days, so I'm just wondering if I'm going to get burnt out on it pretty quick like I did with Sniper Elite 4. I like stealth games a lot so this should be up my ally, right? I can only play Wolfenstein and The Evil Within for so long before I need a change of pace.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

is Hitman: Season One any good? I haven't played one since the original on PC when it first came out, but I tried to demo and it was fun enough. I'm getting it from Gamefly in a few days, so I'm just wondering if I'm going to get burnt out on it pretty quick like I did with Sniper Elite 4. I like stealth games a lot so this should be up my ally, right? I can only play Wolfenstein and The Evil Within for so long before I need a change of pace.

I bought it last year on Black Friday digitally after watching videos of people playing and hearing the GiantBomb guys rave about it. (I've played through Paris and part of the map after that) I need to play it more, but it's an absurdly fun and dumb game because the game encourages you to keep going back to it to discover other dumb ways to kill people and disguise yourself.

This video specifically is quite great.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/holiday-specialtacular-2016-hitsmas/2300-11776/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

For FFX it's not a problem, since there's an option to switch all the menu's and subtitles into English.  The International Version also has the advanced Sphere Grid, which while it has less nodes to start, it moves faster overall and the game tends to drop more empty node fillers.  Set things up right and you end up coasting through the last quarter of the game.  Can't comment on Kingdom Hearts as I've never had the chance to go through it.  The FFXII International Version with the Zodiac System is the superior version, and was/is getting rereleased on current gen with English, but if it's the PS2 version, it needs a patch (there is a good one that works).  I can't comment on late game XII because I never finished it, there just isn't that character/story hook there for me to sink hours into it. 

Thanks.  Ended up taking the plunge on X, X-2, and the Final Mix versions of KH.  Was going to get FFX Int'l no matter what since there is an English text option and figured the others would be cool to own even if I didn't play them much. Price was right.  Held off on FFXII Int'l only because the guy had the Ultimate Hits version of the game and I know someone who has the original release and will sell it to me.  I try to pick up the "Black Label" versions of games whenever possible, and avoid th Greatest Hits packaging.

And, yeah, I am aware of the English patches for various games.

I just got a 4K TV, and I'm thinking of trading in my launch 500 GB PS4 toward the price of a PS4 Pro, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. I also am wondering if this is a bad time because PS4 has the $199 Slim model out there new. Has anyone traded their PS4 in toward a PS4 Pro and have any tips? Is it even worth getting a PS4 Pro if you have a 4K TV?

Hitman Season 1 is fuckin' excellent. It is less of a straight up and down stealth game as much as it's the best James Bond game ever, just without the car chases. You do real goofy spy shit and it lets you murder people in fantastically dumb ways. I will recommend getting a guide for Marrakesh (episode 3) and just following that guide because none of the Actually Fun Stuff there is available the first playthrough, and the three maps that follow are all just fantastic.

• Like 1

I may get started on Hitman Season One too over the Christmas break.

Got 2 trophies left in LittleBigPlanet PSVita -- just have to get all the achievements in The Arcade (minigame mode that's mostly terrible) and do 24 hours of Create Mode (on the Vita you can't just use a turbo controller, you have actively do something for 24 hrs).

There are more versions of Monopoly than you even want to know. Also, Tidus and Yuna laughing like idiots is just as stupid in Japanese as it is in English. Enjoy that moment.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the previous responses about the XBOX One, just one more little thing, on CDKeys (which I use for PC regularly not not consoles) they have codes for XBONE and 360 games. I know it's BC, but would a 360 code work for playing it on XBONE without inserting on a 360 console first?

Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, Adam said:

Thanks for the previous responses about the XBOX One, just one more little thing, on CDKeys (which I use for PC regularly not not consoles) they have codes for XBONE and 360 games. I know it's BC, but would a 360 code work for playing it on XBONE without inserting on a 360 console first?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know how CDKeys works, but just so you know, the XBOX One isn't fully backwards compatible. They are slowly growing the library but its not automatic, so I'd check and make sure the game is on the list before purchasing it. As long as the game is on the official list, I'd think you still could put in the code on your online account and it would show up on the XBOX One, but I haven't tried it.

• Like 1

Xenoblade 2 is a hot mess, tonally inconsistent in design and narrative. Cringe-worthy anime tropes that the previous two games did a really good job of avoiding, a messy UI with one of the most broken map systems I've ever seen, and a lack of technical polish that backs up anyone's fears that this game would be a rush-job. With that said, the core gameplay is still *good*. Incredibly worthwhile open-world stuff once you're out in the field, an engaging combat system and an absolutely AAA soundtrack.

If you're on the fence, dust off your Wii and play the original. It's like 40 bucks used if you missed it the first time around.

1 minute ago, Tromatagon said:

Anyone else loving Assassins Creed Origins way more than you thought you would?

Yeah, I really didn't like the last couple of Assassins Creed games (I remember doing one of those, follow this person close enough to hear them, but not close enough to be seen missions and just turning the pirate one off and never playing again.).  The new one seems to have all of the parts I like and none of the parts I don't like.  I've put in a good amount of time and there have only been 2 short flashes to the future.  I never played an Assassins Creed game and said, "You know, I wish I could explore a cave in the present day and not this super interesting moment in history."  I've never understood why we have to have a tie to the present in these games.  The world feels lived in, there is plenty of fun missions to do, and very few missions that seem like chores.

I also like how they improved the combat.  It took me a little bit to get a hang of using the shoulder buttons, and I still sometimes pull out my bow when I mean to raise my shield, but I like how every type of weapon feels different and works better against different enemies.  The swords feel fast and responsive and can quickly take down unshielded enemies, but the heavy clubs and axes are slow as shit, but will crush a shield like crepe paper.  I never feel like I'm just running through enemies, but I also never feel like I got killed cheaply.  That is pretty much all you can ask for in a game like this.  When you take out a base filled with enemies around you level it is always a challenge, but not so hard that you won't go after a base where the enemies are a level higher.  I think I'm a level 17, and one of my favorite things is to go try to kill level 18 crocodiles with a sword.  Sometimes I get eaten, sometimes I win.  I feel like most current games either make your character super overpowered, where you can destroy all the enemies as soon as you figure out the mechanics, or so hard that you feel like the game isn't playing fair.  This game is a good balance.

• Like 1

Well holy shit, EA did more to fix Star Wars Battlefront 2. They still need to fix how random the progression is, but at least they significantly increased the rewards for completing matches. Why it took so long to do this, I don't know, but hey, better late than never I guess.

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Being level 18 or 19 and killing the shit out of the level 22 Phylake felt soooooooooooo good

(Once you get the knockdown ability for the smoke pellets you have a pretty unfair advantage)

I haven't come close to killing one of those dudes yet.  I'm still running for my life when I see those devil's horns.  I just spent all my ability points too, and I didn't put any points into smoke pellets.

10 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Xenoblade 2 is a hot mess, tonally inconsistent in design and narrative. Cringe-worthy anime tropes that the previous two games did a really good job of avoiding, a messy UI with one of the most broken map systems I've ever seen, and a lack of technical polish that backs up anyone's fears that this game would be a rush-job. With that said, the core gameplay is still *good*. Incredibly worthwhile open-world stuff once you're out in the field, an engaging combat system and an absolutely AAA soundtrack.

If you're on the fence, dust off your Wii and play the original. It's like 40 bucks used if you missed it the first time around.

Yeah, I got it and pretty much agree.  There's some real definite problems (no autosave, no way to load your previous save if you messed up except from quitting the game, the stupidity of having a high level 82 monster in the same early area with other monsters who are max level 11...), but the game is really fun to play.

3 hours ago, dogwelder said:

Yeah, I got it and pretty much agree.  There's some real definite problems (no autosave, no way to load your previous save if you messed up except from quitting the game, the stupidity of having a high level 82 monster in the same early area with other monsters who are max level 11...), but the game is really fun to play.

I didn't like keeping areas of certain maps behind high-level monsters in XC1 until I got beefed up enough to beat them, then I loved having a reason to go back to prior areas. Reaching Lvl 99 in these games isn't nearly as difficult as something like a Final Fantasy.

On 11/30/2017 at 10:25 AM, Chaos said:

I bought it last year on Black Friday digitally after watching videos of people playing and hearing the GiantBomb guys rave about it. (I've played through Paris and part of the map after that) I need to play it more, but it's an absurdly fun and dumb game because the game encourages you to keep going back to it to discover other dumb ways to kill people and disguise yourself.

This video specifically is quite great.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/holiday-specialtacular-2016-hitsmas/2300-11776/

Vinny's Hitsmas run is literally all time top Giant Bomb stuff. The hardest I laughed at any single thing in 2016.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, supremebve said:

I haven't come close to killing one of those dudes yet.  I'm still running for my life when I see those devil's horns.  I just spent all my ability points too, and I didn't put any points into smoke pellets.

They're a pretty good tool but once you get them to where they're really strong, you might end up relying on them more than 89 Batman (which is to say a lot).

Basically, in their weak form, they break line of sight and help you escape.

Once you upgrade them, they knock people on their asses and they lay there coughing for a while, giving you free hits.  The Phylakes still get up and try to kick your ass after that, because they have really big life bars, but sometimes you can even manage to get away from them and hide, setting up attacks with the assassin's blade that do a lot of damage.

My killing that level 22 Phylake was due to those smoke pellets, and having him spawn inside of a military fortress - I was able to restock my stuff multiple times during the fight since they had so many arrow racks laying around (which also fill up your tools) since my tool pouch wasn't very upgraded at the time.  It was a long-ass fight.