DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

20 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Went to Best Buy yesterday around 8:30ish and got most of what I wanted.

But after seeing how they had the lines snaking through the appliance section which weren't moving, I decided against waiting.

Hit Walmart and found 1 game I wanted.

Left for Target and picked up most everything I put back at Best Buy.

Today I wanted to wrap things up and see if I could find the last two games on my list.

Hit Toys R Us first and nothing was happening there.

Then I went to Gamestop as a last resort and found the last two games from my list.

When the cashier went to ring them up, I noticed he had the same cases that I had given him.

I said something and he proceeded to Gamestop-splain me that they were the last two games in stock.

The guy behind him piped up that with titles like that they were sold out everywhere (Which was BS, because I saw at other stores when I was out).

I explained there was no way that would fly as I couldn't gift someone (me) an open game.

Open games are used in my book.

He yammered some other corporate GBS (Gamestop BullShit) and I said "Nix the order "I'll get them from Amazon".

I placed the order to Amazon in the parking lot a few minutes later.

I was/am steamed about the years that I've continued to give GS money for sub-par service.

So in my heightened state of rage, I did the only logical thing and drove 30 minutes across town to Target and picked up Skyrim for XB1.

tl;dr I'm an idiot that bought too much and made my backlog even bigger.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. To hell with Gamestop.

I always have that argument about the opened cases = not new with Gamestop employees. I end up not buying it unless it's a rare exception (i.e. not on Amazon).

If you're poking around the eShop, it all begins and ends with Golf Story. It's got everything, golf, a story, etc.

Or... you're like me and rarely buy anything on Steam. I've been catching up on all these indie modern-classics on the Switch and I have to decide which ones I can take or leave. Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth + probably has more hours on it than any game on the console, I just picked up (and quickly beat) VVVVVV, and I'm as good as in on Hollow Knight and Owlboy when they drop. The girlfriend wants The End is Nigh. I'll buy Night In The Woods again when Weird Autumn drops and if the price comes down years from now on physical copies of Cave Story I wouldn't mind going through that again. Same goes for Shovel Knight.

Axiom Verge looks appealing but I've still got some Castlevanias left to beat (and Hollow Knight). Couldn't get into Steamworld Dig so the sequel's out. Wish I liked Crypt of the Necrodancer. I treasure my romantic relationship and the girlfriend *gets mad at games* so maybe no Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime - Snipperclips is harrowing enough. On the fence with World of Goo, Thimbleweed Park, Shantae, GoNNER, Octodad, Battle Chef Brigade, Terraria, and a thousand other et ceteras.

No Stardew Valley. I've got the rest of my life to figure out if I want to play Stardew Valley. The last few years I've played three Yakuzas, three Dragon Quests (including the SLOG of VII), two Pokemon, Persona 3: FES, BotW, nearly 100%'ed Xenoblade Chronicles (with the sequel coming out in like, a week), Tactics Ogre + Breath of Fire + Super Mario RPG on SNES, MGSV and probably another few INSUFFERABLE JAPANESE TIMESINKS that I can't seem to break away from. Oh, and the 200+ hours on Isaac. I need to go back to school. ACK!

On 11/22/2017 at 8:49 AM, JLSigman said:

Out of nowhere, THQ North released another expansion for Titan Quest. Yeah, Titan Quest, from 2006! So I, often having neither money nor sense, bought it and started a new character.

Yup, Act I is still WAY TOO FUCKING LONG OMG. The new class, Runekeeper, is interesting, but unless you like dying a lot you're still pretty much limited to some combination of Warrior, Defense, and Hunting. 

Act II feels like it moves faster. Fewer empty land spaces where there aren't even any sidequests, and you're starting to get the sense of urgency from the story. Also you start seeing a lot of new ranged weapons - throwing knives, boomerang looking things, etc. - which is a nice change. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I got Puyo Puyo Tetris. I am so bad at Puyo Puyo that it cancels out me being pretty good at Tetris.

I like Puyo Puyo, and I like Tetris, but the mechanics of the two games mixed really screwed with me and I haven't come back to it yet. I will eventually though!

4 hours ago, Sasha said:

I like Puyo Puyo, and I like Tetris, but the mechanics of the two games mixed really screwed with me and I haven't come back to it yet. I will eventually though!

I'm finding that my favorite game type is Swap, where you have to mind one table of each game and switch out every ten seconds.    That's way more managable for me than Fusion or "I'm playing Puyo and you're playing Tetris".

The OTHER game I got yesterday (had pre-ordered but it didn't ship timely) was River City Rival Showdown.  For the uninitiated, it's a 30th anniversary retelling of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari, the game that became River City Ransom in the US.  Like last year's Tokyo Rumble, it's a lot more narrative-heavy than RCR was, and like that game they persist in using the familiar River City name while otherwise keeping the Japanese-ness entirely intact.  Unlike Rumble, which felt very much like a modern iteration on the classics, this game has a real-time clock not a million miles away from Shenmue or Bully.  You have from 3pm (when Kunio and Riki sneak out of school) until 11 to wander the streets, get into fights, shop and advance the story.  You only get three days to unravel what the Reiho Academy juvies are up to, and lots of things can only be done in one time block (3p-5p afternoon, 5-8 evening and 8-11 night), so it's got a weird hurry up and wait feel to it.  Additionally, money feels REALLY hard to come by in the early going; it's not guaranteed to drop like in Ransom or Rumble.  Sometimes you'll fight an entire room of Senridai nobodies and be left with only one 40 yen drop for your trouble.  It's cool and interesting to see them try something a little more elaborate, but so far I prefer Rumble.

used my long weekend to beat Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (GCN) and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES).

Zelda is my favorite franchise ever, haven't played LTTP in probably a decade. Still great.

Gauntlet is one of my top 10 games. i've got great memories of playing this (and its predecessor, Gauntlet Legends for the n64) constantly when it came out, usually with a couch full of buddies. still a great game, I'm going to have to backtrack to unlock all the hidden characters. also may as well level up to 99, as I'm only lvl 85 now.

I loved original Gauntlet (well, more II) back in the day, but Legends and Legacy were my first exposure to Diablo-style games and I was so frigging hooked.  Had a maxed archer at the University of Houston arcade, even. I do not want to know what that cost me.  Later, I borrowed the N64 version from a friend and played it pretty obsessively, then was sorely disappointed that the Dreamcast port was "just" an arcade port without the N64's enhancements to make it more single-player-friendly.

Question for XBONE (haha that always cracks me up) folk.

Getting an XBONE S for christmas as wife keeps asking what I want and I didn't know what else to say, i'm more interested in BC than anything as I have a PS4 (and I wanted to get Rare Replay too)

Anyway, important stuff, I keep seeing different names for different things. 

Games with Gold (guessing this is what you get with Live subscription? Never owned a Microsoft thing)
EA Access (like GWG and PS+ just for EA games though?)
Xbox Game Pass (just seen this) seperate from GWG?

Also, a friend said I have to get EA access to play 360 games, but this doesn't add up.

Some help? Is it worth getting EA Access and GWG? Truth be told I haven't play a PS+ game in forever and probably won't be using XBONE for online though it comes with free trial.

Happy holidays
Adam

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

I miss my arcade rat days pumping hundreds of dollars in quarters into Gauntlet.

That was a hell of a lot of fun with the right folks.  I still remember going to a baseball camp at A&M when I was in 8th grade.  A bunch of us sneaked out of the dorm where we were staying and spent most of the night in the student union basement playing an endless game of Gauntlet.

• Like 1

I've been playing Injustice 2 sporadically since picking it up last week. I'm not great at fighters, but I figured the post-MK9 Netherrealm engine is rather forgiving, and I really enjoyed playing through the story in the first one. I'm about half-way through the story now, and I may not know a lot of the deeper pull DC characters, but I'm really enjoying it up until this point.

22 hours ago, Adam said:

Question for XBONE (haha that always cracks me up) folk.

Getting an XBONE S for christmas as wife keeps asking what I want and I didn't know what else to say, i'm more interested in BC than anything as I have a PS4 (and I wanted to get Rare Replay too)

Anyway, important stuff, I keep seeing different names for different things. 

Games with Gold (guessing this is what you get with Live subscription? Never owned a Microsoft thing)
EA Access (like GWG and PS+ just for EA games though?)
Xbox Game Pass (just seen this) seperate from GWG?

Also, a friend said I have to get EA access to play 360 games, but this doesn't add up.

Some help? Is it worth getting EA Access and GWG? Truth be told I haven't play a PS+ game in forever and probably won't be using XBONE for online though it comes with free trial.

Happy holidays
Adam

I don't have a Xbox, so someone may need to correct me, but

GWG are the free games you get each month with a Xbox Live Gold subscription.

EA Access lets you play for 10 hours on new EA games and there are other older ones you can play all you want.  It's not tied in to 360 backward compatibility.

Game Pass is a streaming service for 360/One games.

• Like 1

Neil is correct

Xbox Live Gold is the paid version of their service. The free one is XBOX Live (used to be called Silver).

The difference is you NEED Gold if you are going to play online (at least in theory - I feel like @AxB was able to play Mass Effect Andromeda without a Gold subscription but that could just be an EA fuck up thing). And tangentially - you need Gold to have party chat.

The free version allows you to use apps like Netflix, Youtube, etc...

Games with Gold gives you 4 free games a month. 2 that were released from the XBOX One library and 2 from XBOX 360 library that are now backwards compatible.

There are also discounts offered for Gold members in the Live store

Don't pay for EA Access because Fuck EA

With Game Pass - it allows access to what they say is "a 100" XBOX One and 360 titles a month. So it only is the games they have up at a time. And it doesn't allow you access to DLC (you still have to pay for that but they will offer a discount on the game). A positive??? (perhaps) is that you don't need a Gold Subscriptions to have it

• Like 1

Has anyone ever played the International/Final Mix versions of the PS2 Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts games?

I'm mostly a retro gamer (N64 and SNES), but I do own a PS2 and enjoy a lot of the PSX/PS2 platformers and RPG's.  I'm picking up the international version of FFX and the same guy is offering me a good deal on some of the other re-releases.  I'm inclined to take it just because it's a good price and they'd be something cool and different to have in the collection, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to actually play through the titles.

For those that don't know, the International/Final Mix versions of the games that are released in Japan after the original Japan/US/Europe release.  Basically, these versions of the game fix bugs that made it to the original Japan release (but were fixed for later releases) and contain a small amount of gameplay changes and original content.  Audio is English.  Text and menus are Japanese (FFX did have an English option for text; the others don't).  There are also a few fan mods floating around on the internet that completely/partially patch the games into English.  Not sure I'd go that route.

I'm kinda itching to play a couple of these remixes, but I'm not sure how hard that would be to do.  i remember a small amount of Japanese from Fire Pro menus. 

Anyone actually played through the Int'l versions.  Was the language barrier much of a problem?

Thanks.

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The difference is you NEED Gold if you are going to play online (at least in theory - I feel like @AxB was able to play Mass Effect Andromeda without a Gold subscription but that could just be an EA fuck up thing). And tangentially - you need Gold to have party chat.

Yes, I was able to play ME:A online without a PS+ subscription. I didn't try to play GTA Online without one, but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't have worked.

19 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Has anyone ever played the International/Final Mix versions of the PS2 Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts games?

I'm mostly a retro gamer (N64 and SNES), but I do own a PS2 and enjoy a lot of the PSX/PS2 platformers and RPG's.  I'm picking up the international version of FFX and the same guy is offering me a good deal on some of the other re-releases.  I'm inclined to take it just because it's a good price and they'd be something cool and different to have in the collection, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to actually play through the titles.

For those that don't know, the International/Final Mix versions of the games that are released in Japan after the original Japan/US/Europe release.  Basically, these versions of the game fix bugs that made it to the original Japan release (but were fixed for later releases) and contain a small amount of gameplay changes and original content.  Audio is English.  Text and menus are Japanese (FFX did have an English option for text; the others don't).  There are also a few fan mods floating around on the internet that completely/partially patch the games into English.  Not sure I'd go that route.

I'm kinda itching to play a couple of these remixes, but I'm not sure how hard that would be to do.  i remember a small amount of Japanese from Fire Pro menus. 

Anyone actually played through the Int'l versions.  Was the language barrier much of a problem?

Thanks.

For FFX it's not a problem, since there's an option to switch all the menu's and subtitles into English.  The International Version also has the advanced Sphere Grid, which while it has less nodes to start, it moves faster overall and the game tends to drop more empty node fillers.  Set things up right and you end up coasting through the last quarter of the game.  Can't comment on Kingdom Hearts as I've never had the chance to go through it.  The FFXII International Version with the Zodiac System is the superior version, and was/is getting rereleased on current gen with English, but if it's the PS2 version, it needs a patch (there is a good one that works).  I can't comment on late game XII because I never finished it, there just isn't that character/story hook there for me to sink hours into it.