DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

41 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Fuck, I miss City of Heroes.  And City of Villains.  Nothing like it before or since.

Oh, for fuckin' sure.  That game and its community helped keep me sane at some of the low points in my life; the game was just the right kind of simple to make it something you could chill out and chat on without having to find a quiet place to hide.

Ended up buying a PS4 today, mostly because I want to play Nier:Automata. GameStop had the $100 off like everyone else and threw in a $50 gift card to boot. Couldn't pass it up. 

Whether or not I *need* a PS4 or even have time to play more games is up for debate, but there you go...

• Like 3

Someone pointed this out and I think it's interesting. Dark Souls 1 hasn't had a steam sale in over a year, while DS 2 and 3 have been on sale with a fairly regular schedule. My suspicion as to why would be that a remastered DS1 is in the works and they want to maximize sales.

I know this is a big point of contention, and I really think remastering games that are in historic gaming terms not even old is dumb, BUT. If I have a choice between companies generating extra cash through remastered games I can more or less ignore, or through lootbox gambling, I would take the first every time. Of course, it isn't always either/or with these companies, but I definitely see it as the lesser evil by a really wide margin.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shane said:

Ended up buying a PS4 today, mostly because I want to play Nier:Automata. GameStop had the $100 off like everyone else and threw in a $50 gift card to boot. Couldn't pass it up. 

Whether or not I *need* a PS4 or even have time to play more games is up for debate, but there you go...

I honestly get more use out of my PS4 for Netflix, DVDs, streaming etc than gaming. Of course I expect that to change when Red Dead Redemption comes out

These are probably the last New Games I am playing this year.

NIGHT IN THE WOODS [4] - Just awesome. It is a game that is very much written by people in my age group, and I see familiar faces in everyone I see in that game. It's starting to take a Second Act Turn in a different direction, but the writing is the thing pulling me along. This is not a gameplay heavy game- in fact, the parts where it slows down and makes you platform are the parts I'm enjoying least- but damnit I have to see what happens.

FIRE EMBLEM WARRIORS [3] - This is how managing expectations works in your benefit. I went into this game clinically. I have long been fascinated with the Warriors games, because I think if someone put their whole heart into one they could make something truly awe inspiring. I was interested in seeing what a Warriors game with permadeath looked like, because I think it's one of the steps in the way of making The Perfect Warriors Game: actual stakes for ignoring the battlefield at large. I am, so far, getting exactly what I wanted. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't think I'd recommend this game, but I think there's some things happening inside it that are cool as shit.

And with that, I can now present my Top Ten Games of 2017. Two important caveats- First, early access games count as being "out." They existed in a real moment in this year. I don't draw a line there. Second, and despite the first, I am not including Fire Pro World. On my scorin' database on glitchwave, I have it rated as 5 out of 5. I have the 5 out of 5 rating labeled as "A Dream Come True." Nothing else will ever be rated that. Like, seriously, I ran the math, and I probably put around 12,000 hours into Fire Pro in my whole life. Fire Pro Returns was 2/3rds of that. I am already at 300 hours in Fire Pro World. I need Fire Pro for my psyche's health. The thing that happens between me and Fire Pro cannot be quantified as "my favorite game of the year" any more than therapy can be "my favorite game of the year."

THE LIST! With a short review of every game.

1. Nier Automata
My interpretation: it is a game about the empathy. Nier addresses that idea in so many ways on so many fronts that it's like saying "organisms exist to propagate themeselves." It uses everything inside it, good or bad, to talk about this topic. It chooses to talk about this topic after the public learned that the generation of kids lost inside 4chan has been turned into a nazi weapon. It could not exist at a more opportune time. It could not end more perfectly. I could talk about Nier Automata for the rest of my life.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
What it must have been like to go from driving stagecoaches to cars, except if the car crashed/exploded you had a guarantee that you'd walk away and have the resources to try something else with it all. Every other open world game is going to look bad to me now, looking so constrained in comparison to what Zelda accomplishes.
3. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
An idea so crystalline and perfect that the industry is Very Not Ready to take advantage of it. Shit, the developers barely are. They're doing the Lord's Work in finding out how to kill the CoD model.
4. Super Mario Odyssey
Another Great Mario Game.
5. Night in the Woods
i just wrote about it, it's really neat and it made me want to call some very specific friends to check in on them
6. Sonic Mania
An Actually Great Sonic Game.
7. Pyre
It kills me that I didn't finish this, because everything about the setting and the plot and the characters is just so appealing to me. The thing that keeps me out is that, as a Very Specific Sports Game, I feel like I have gotten too rusty and I'm too far in to want to start over. It's my own fault. It's so fucking cool.
8. Everybody's Golf
Sony sent this game out to die and it's awful because it's The First Good Golf Game in what feels like a fucking decade. I'm sure there have been other worthy ones but none of them crossed my field of view. It's just a delightful game that is maybe a little grind heavy at times.
9. Dead Cells
The way to tell that this is a Proper Souls game- despite its clear castlevania influences- is that I played it like no other game existed for about a month and then eventually I walked away from it, free and clear. I will try it again at some point next year, after they have completed their stunning barrage of features. Early Access Games tend to not come so feature complete. Dead Cells did and then built on it.
10. Hidden Folks
A game that is impossible to get mad at. It's a black-and-white Where's Waldo game where all the sound effects are vocal foley work. Even the trailers for it cheer me up.

Join me next year when I rate a bunch of games and then give the #1 to Kentucky Route Zero by default because Act 5 will be out in the spring and Kentucky Route Zero Deserves Better Than The Video Game Industry. See you then!

• Like 1

Hidden Folks is fucking awesome and a top ten game of mine as well. It's extremely charming.

My top two are Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids, with probably Horizon after that. I just got Injustice 2, and that's a game that will finish top five for me at this point.

I made it through the New Game + of Rogue Legacy, had all of the power ups I wanted and most that I did not, and could make it so I could clear all four places without much trouble. I played a few minutes of New Game ++ and decided to move on. It was a satisfying experience. I've basically been doing runs while the wife feeds the baby, so I was in and out for 20 mins and then move on. I also finished the Castle of Illusion remake which the 5 year old was watching me play which was a perfectly fine all ages Mickey platformer without anything approaching deep mechanics. I look forward to her giving it a shot in the next year or two.

Think I'm going to start on Arkham Knight next. I wouldn't mind another Metroidvania type game (having played Shantae: Risky Revenge and Dust as well this year), but I don't really want to drop 10-12 on Hollow Knight/Dead Cells when I have a backlog, etc. I thought about Ducktales remastered to have the kid watch me play but I'm not sure we NEED that.

51 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Hidden Folks is fucking awesome and a top ten game of mine as well. It's extremely charming.

My top two are Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids, with probably Horizon after that. I just got Injustice 2, and that's a game that will finish top five for me at this point.

I'm trying to limit what I spend on Black Friday stuff in gaming, so I'm currently debating between getting the Bioshock Collection or Horizon with the DLC. Sony sent me a 20% off coupon.

I also have Injustice 2, Skyrim Special Edition, and Witcher 3 DLC in my cart. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was looking through the Switch store for something to get until the Zelda DLC hits. 

I wish more games had demos and not just videos 

I'm not sure why publishers went away from demos. I used to love (I'm old) when magazines came with demo disks, and with online downloading it wouldn't be as hard as it was back in the day. Unless they are afraid people would play the demo and decide they didn't want the game, but that isn't showing much confidence in your product.

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'm trying to limit what I spend on Black Friday stuff in gaming, so I'm currently debating between getting the Bioshock Collection or Horizon with the DLC. Sony sent me a 20% off coupon.

I also have Injustice 2, Skyrim Special Edition, and Witcher 3 DLC in my cart. 

Horizon is really very good. I think the combat is fantastic (and with the ultra-hard difficulty level, it actually becomes crucial to use all of your options). You get tons of options. Stalking animals is genuinely fun. 

The world is really quite fleshed out as well. There are two ways in which you learn about the world: The story of what happened before the time of the game, and the story of how these different tribes came to be. It's a pretty fascinating world. 

I suggest that game a billion times. I still have to get through the DLC, which will probably be the last thing that I get for this year. 

Injustice 2 is as good as you might guess, which is to say really good. As a person in his mid-thirties, I have neither the time nor the twitch to play at a level against other competition that would make going online a fun or productive thing to do. The single-player options in Netherrealm fighters are excellent. 

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was looking through the Switch store for something to get until the Zelda DLC hits. 

Hello there, Odessa. Have you heard the gospel of Picross S?

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was thinking about that. 

I've put twenty hours into it and still haven't quite solved all of the puzzles (YMMV because it takes me a bit longer to complete spatial puzzles like these, which is part of why I like the game - I enjoy the challenge). For eight bucks, that's a nice chunk of gameplay.

I also find it personally quite rewarding to get some of the more complex 15x15 and 20x15 puzzles without hints or help. 

Ended up buying Project CARS 2 (because I hate myself lol), South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Need For Speed: Payback (....I know), Kirby Planet Robobot and two LEGO Dimensions level/story packs during Black Friday.

I accidently ordered LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 Deluxe from Toys R Us during the stackable coupons glitch and when I submitted the payment, none of the coupons applied and I got charged full price. I cancelled the order, but got to send it back to the address for credit (plus DHL crushed the box during shipping).

And I'm 10 race events away from having 60 golds in Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit then another Platinum.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Prolly gonna get South Park and Agents of Mayhem by Monday. I had hoped to snag a $5 AoM  from a Redbox but none had it, and I liked it enough on rental to feel it's worth $20.

PSN has a complete edition for Agents of Mayhem for $25 which includes all of the DLC.

• Thanks 1

Went to Best Buy yesterday around 8:30ish and got most of what I wanted.

But after seeing how they had the lines snaking through the appliance section which weren't moving, I decided against waiting.

Hit Walmart and found 1 game I wanted.

Left for Target and picked up most everything I put back at Best Buy.

Today I wanted to wrap things up and see if I could find the last two games on my list.

Hit Toys R Us first and nothing was happening there.

Then I went to Gamestop as a last resort and found the last two games from my list.

When the cashier went to ring them up, I noticed he had the same cases that I had given him.

I said something and he proceeded to Gamestop-splain me that they were the last two games in stock.

The guy behind him piped up that with titles like that they were sold out everywhere (Which was BS, because I saw at other stores when I was out).

I explained there was no way that would fly as I couldn't gift someone (me) an open game.

Open games are used in my book.

He yammered some other corporate GBS (Gamestop BullShit) and I said "Nix the order "I'll get them from Amazon".

I placed the order to Amazon in the parking lot a few minutes later.

I was/am steamed about the years that I've continued to give GS money for sub-par service.

So in my heightened state of rage, I did the only logical thing and drove 30 minutes across town to Target and picked up Skyrim for XB1.

tl;dr I'm an idiot that bought too much and made my backlog even bigger.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. To hell with Gamestop.

• Like 2