DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

I just HAD to look for Cities Skylines on Steam earlier today.

I just HAD to find it on Humble Bundle with OOTP '18 with it.

I've now played 8 hours of OOTP '18.

How easily my day devolves into this...

• Like 1

I finished Dragon Quest IV. It's alright. So far in my rankings, it is in the exact middle, because that's what it is- the middle of the road. Everything above it is great. Everything below it is not. It's just totally fine. I'm short on cash so I think I might split my time between replaying V and playing through VIII until christmas.

51 minutes ago, CSC said:

I did the same dumb thing I did with OOTP last time: Start a completely custom league. This time a 4-division, 40 team "major league" with AAA, AA, and A ball. Between tweaking the league rules, correcting team uniforms, and the opening draft I have played 8 hours and I've yet to actually play a game in said league. I have played a couple other games and it seems like guys make errors more often but that could just be weird variance. 

9 hours ago, CSC said:

Is that why you gave up on managing any of your fantasy football teams?

• Like 1

I was trying to wait for Injustice 2's GotY edition, but man, I'm so tempted to just jump in now and pay for the DLC that I want. I don't even know what the fuck is an Enchantress, but TMNT? YES. 

I guess they're waiting until Injustice 3 to add Beast Boy, Rorschach, and Dr. Manhattan (and I really believe that those three are coming to an Injustice roster at some point). 

16 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I was trying to wait for Injustice 2's GotY edition, but man, I'm so tempted to just jump in now and pay for the DLC that I want. I don't even know what the fuck is an Enchantress, but TMNT? YES. 

I guess they're waiting until Injustice 3 to add Beast Boy, Rorschach, and Dr. Manhattan (and I really believe that those three are coming to an Injustice roster at some point). 

Injustice 2 will be $15 at Gamestop on Black Friday. You can do that with I think the ultimate upgrade digitally for like another $40.00.

• Like 1

Meh. As Chaos said, you'll be able to get vanilla version and buy the digital upgrade to everything in the final edition for about what that final ed will cost, you just have to wait til Feb for the last char to drop. I'd take that deal, but then I spent $80 on the biggest edition pre launch, so my word is mesningless.

Borrowed CoD:WWII from work. Played through the campaign over 6-7 hours. It's...fine. Not good. Not bad. I prefer the over the top crazy near future stuff that they had been doing, though. This is just a pretty standard Band of Brothers rehash. That can be an effective story, but Call of Duty is probably not where you're going to find nuance.

Still playing through (and loving) AC:Origins. Just wanted to actually finish some 2017 stuff before everyone goes into GOTY mode.

Since Star Wars Battlefront 2 is out now, I may as well move that talk over here. The latest development comes from the Washington Post reporting on the game over the weekend. They confirmed that Disney did indeed call EA regarding the turning off of Pay 2 Win systems and that Pay 2 Win would return. 

At this point, considering how glacially slow progression or leveling up in the game is by just playing the fucking game and how none of that has been improved by temporarily shutting down the Pay 2 Win stuff, then the end game the entire time has been to funnel gamers into that Pay 2 Win progression style like if they were playing a free to play game. There's just no other way around it. No one can feasibly invest 6 years of their life into unlocking everything in this game so the alternative is to just buy the loot boxes with cash money instead. It's the only way Star Cards work, it's the only way to unlock or find rare/epic cards, and it's the only way to actually compete in multiplayer matches. Perhaps at some point EA told Dice told build in Pay 2 Win shit and if that happened it had to have happened very early on because EVERYTHING in this contrived progression system is built around Pay 2 Win and loot boxes.

And that EA is so steadfast in turning that stuff back on just tells me there's no intention to turn loot boxes that you purchases into cosmetic items only. I've seen Overwatch get a lot of shit lately because of Star Wars, but at least I don't have to buy loot boxes in Overwatch to stay competitive.

Just in time for River City Rival Showdown (the 30th anniversary remake of the original RCR, this time with all its Japaneseness intact), RC Ransom Underground is back up on Steam with its new soundtrack.  I was gonna take it for a whirl, but the game appears to give the Steam Link migraines so not tonight.

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think the Injustice 2 at $19.99 is a universal Black Friday sale as I saw it on Gamestop’s Ad too

Yeah, I just meant for the people that don't feel like fighting the line. The Gamestop ad is $14 believe it or not.

HELLBLADE: SENUA'S SACRIFICE [3] - If there's one theme with games this year, it's "a great story with really divisive combat." Nier is Japan's contribution to this, Wolfenstein is the EU representative, and from the UK there's Hellblade. There's so much about this game that's first class. The sound design is amazing, the character model for Senua is haunting, they have the best use of FMV a game could possibly have... the presentation is a stunner. The moment to moment of playing it is not fantastic. There's a lot of environmental puzzles that are about finding symbols in the environment, which is supposed to feel like a puzzle game and ends up feeling like a photo hunt. The combat is serviceable, but they tell you everything you can do in the first like two fights and if you forget something like parrying, good fuckin' luck. The combat encounters also start becoming terribly overlong near the end of the game. There's multiple sections where it feels like the round you've just completed should be the end of the encounter, and then two more waves of enemies will spawn in. I burned out on playing it but if you want to see a good horror story that isn't about asylums or jump scares, you really can't go wrong.

I STARTED REPLAYING DRAGON QUEST V BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE THE MONEY TO GO GET VI YET - So this is the DS remake, but you can still tell the immediate doubling down in thematic content that comes from the jump from NES to Super Nintendo. DQ5 is a game that has a world that's changing over time, and a story of real heft, told both in their gameplay and in their world. I still think 7 is the best in the series, but returning to 5 has been just totally delightful.

7 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

DQV hits some storytelling highs the series hasn't even attempted before or after. PROTIP: Pick the mean wife.

I'm trying to recall which one is the mean one? I went with third choice since it was for the DS remake.

Out of nowhere, THQ North released another expansion for Titan Quest. Yeah, Titan Quest, from 2006! So I, often having neither money nor sense, bought it and started a new character.

Yup, Act I is still WAY TOO FUCKING LONG OMG. The new class, Runekeeper, is interesting, but unless you like dying a lot you're still pretty much limited to some combination of Warrior, Defense, and Hunting.