DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

22 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The big thing you will notice is there is a LOT of AOE damage in the expansion. I haven't tried it with a summoner but it seems like it would be bothersome. The actual city of Malmouth itself is Aether damage flying around a lot too, and is by a country mile the hardest area in the game because of it. Really good expansion though. I mean, just in terms of raw content, it's certainly bigger than Diablo II: Lord of Destruction which I guess is sort of forever the standard by which an ARPG expansion is to be judged.

Dag, aether is my worst resistance so I guess I need to do something about that.  I've been squeaking by with the damage reduction from Inquisitor's Seal and Blast Shield but I don't think that's going to fly anymore.

I kinda want to race through the xpac so I can start a new character to use the stash full of blues I have saved now.

Ended up buying Sine Mora EX in the PS sale to continue on that shoot em up kick. The basic story mode on normal difficulty is fairly easy, i completed it in one sitting and it's less than 2 hours. Anything past that though and it can get insanely tough. The health and time mechanic is pretty good. You get more time for killing enemies, you loose time for getting hit, timer reaches zero and you die. Doesn't sound too hard but on some of the later levels and bosses on higher difficulty things get incredibly tight. You can also slow down time for a limited amount too.

I took a look at some of the trophies, holy hell! It's only got 12 and no platinum but 8 of those 12 trophies has a 1% or less completion rate. They range from massively grindy to the damn near impossible at my current skill level. 

3 hours ago, Basara said:

Ended up buying Sine Mora EX in the PS sale to continue on that shoot em up kick. The basic story mode on normal difficulty is fairly easy, i completed it in one sitting and it's less than 2 hours. Anything past that though and it can get insanely tough. The health and time mechanic is pretty good. You get more time for killing enemies, you loose time for getting hit, timer reaches zero and you die. Doesn't sound too hard but on some of the later levels and bosses on higher difficulty things get incredibly tight. You can also slow down time for a limited amount too.

I took a look at some of the trophies, holy hell! It's only got 12 and no platinum but 8 of those 12 trophies has a 1% or less completion rate. They range from massively grindy to the damn near impossible at my current skill level. 

YOU CAN DO IT. If I can Platinum 94 games (and I'm a weaksauce gamer) which includes insanely hard shit like Killzone 2, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Shadows of the Damned, you can 100% Sine Mora.

I believe in you.

3 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

YOU CAN DO IT. If I can Platinum 94 games (and I'm a weaksauce gamer) which includes insanely hard shit like Killzone 2, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Shadows of the Damned, you can 100% Sine Mora.

I believe in you.

94 is out of my league! I'm sitting on 3 Platinums, Bloodborne, Destiny and Life is Strange and 3 100% that don't give out a Platinum if we include DLC in Bloodborne: The Old Hunters, Sky Force Anniversary and Destiny: The Taken King. I'm tempted to go back and Platinum Niar: Automata just because of how close i was to getting there.

I appreciate the vote of confidence but the problem with some of Sine Mora EX trophies is the same i have with a lot of games. They are a grind for the sake of a grind. One of them involves playing for 24 hours. It's a fun game and it will definitely get my attention for a bit longer. Even if it is fairly short there's a bunch to do. But there's not 24 hours worth of content in it for me and so at that point i'm playing it for hours just for the sake of it. Still, i'll probably push on and get a couple more of the trophies just because of so few people actually completing them. I'm pretty close to one, and another doesn't seem unachievable.

2017 has been a bonkers year for games. In any other year, Cuphead might be GotY. It is that good. Every level passed is satisfying as fuck, regardless of the grade you earn at the end of the level.

I HAVE COME TO THE END OF MY TIME WITH SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY - My friend begged me to get to the Very Last Level. I did. I saw what they asked me to do. I said "nah, I'm okay, I had a good time with this and I don't need to complete it." Good ass game. Best 3D Mario since 64.

I MIGHT HAVE COME TO THE END OF MY TIME WITH DESTINY 2 - yo fuck leviathan what the fuck what form did I fill out wrong that made you guys think that dog forest shit is fun it's like you made a game entirely out of games I don't want to play

MONUMENT VALLEY 2 [4] -

I have never been that emotional about the return of a character, but damn it if I didn't tear up when my Pillar Buddy showed up.

Also, they aren't kidding about "Play This With Headphones."

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD [4] - Earlier this year, I made mention of a list I keep in my head. I do it every year. The list is Answers I Would Accept to the Question "What is the Game Of The Year". The four answers this year have been Nier Automata, Breath of the Wild, PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, and "I am not willing to jump through the hoops to play any of those." Pressed for an answer, my Game of the Year is still Nier, because it's About Something, it's About Something Critically Important, and I could talk about What Nier Is About for the next ten years. Zelda was on that list only because of the advocacy from my friends, which was unanimous and sustained.

Now it's there because I've played it and they're all right. The craftsmanship is romantic. It exists in a hole in time. I don't know a way to describe it without awe. Like many Nintendo games, it doesn't have an explicit statement to make about the world, but that detriment is a necessary achilles heel in a game that could end all games if it had the bravery to talk about something while it was doing all this other stuff.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I love Mario Odyssey, but I think part of the reason my love has persevered is that I'm perfectly willing to just nope out of some of the excessively difficult platforming and boss fights.

I'll just go do one of the 500 other fun things there are to do.

I keep one eye on Speedrun dot com these days and Mario Odyssey is definitely going to become one of the most competitive Any % records, over time. I expect it will become a staple of things like Awesome Games Done Quick forever, much like Mario 64. It seems like a really interesting game from a design perspective in that it really seems to fit both for gamers looking for the quick run, while also having a lot on the table for completionists.

Really really enjoyed Resident Evil 7, those opening couple of hours were super intense but after that it kinda became samey. Loved how different it was initially to all the other games, you can tell the direness of 6 was a wake up call to Capcom.

Not sure if it cracked my top 3 (Resi 4, REmake, Resi 2) though

I played Destiny of an Emperor decades and decades ago on the NES and I never found Lu Bu's fucking horse.

It is a game failure that haunted me to this very day.

My childhood is now avenged.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

I played Destiny of an Emperor decades and decades ago on the NES and I never found Lu Bu's fucking horse.

It is a game failure that haunted me to this very day

My childhood is now avenged.

I know how you feel. My older brother as well. It took me years to finally find that damn horse. Pretty sure I had to look it up on video as well.

I got a cheap copy of NieR Automata against my better judgment and played past the first ending. 

I'm hoping that my cheap copy of NieR Automata has decent re-sell value. I should have known better that a non-Bayo 2 Platinum game would have braindead combat, but the story is the opposite of engaging, and I'm expecting it to slide right into stereotypical video-gamey faux-philosophical bullshit of the type that I fucking hate. 

I might stick with it to see if I'm wrong, but this combat is so dull that it's gonna be tough. 

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I got a cheap copy of NieR Automata against my better judgment and played past the first ending. 

I'm hoping that my cheap copy of NieR Automata has decent re-sell value. I should have known better that a non-Bayo 2 Platinum game would have braindead combat, but the story is the opposite of engaging, and I'm expecting it to slide right into stereotypical video-gamey faux-philosophical bullshit of the type that I fucking hate. 

I might stick with it to see if I'm wrong, but this combat is so dull that it's gonna be tough. 

you bum me out

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Wish I were shocked, but it's not a huge surprise. Hope it stays up long enough for me to do one more loop with Ant-Man.

Even if I start now on PS4 version, there's no way to get a Platinum in this if I play this for 2 hours a day. Ugh. I wanted to Platinum this.

Note to PS4 people: try to Platinum current gen F2P games while they are up and running.

As a result of their insane daily lucky draw on PC, which had a small chance of awarding a 90% off coupon for one purchase of RMT money (which I managed to get twice) I have something like $220 worth of un-spent cash shop funds even after unlocking every character and all the costumes I gave a shit about.  I should try to find the most ridiculous shit to spend it on.

EDIT: We now have a drop-dead date of 12/31, which sucks because it means no "play until it goes offline" party for me.  They will be removing the ability to spend money ASAP

51 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Note to PS4 people: try to Platinum current gen F2P games while they are up and running.

Alternatively, don't play FTP games.

In addition to Hellboy, Injustice 2 added quests to unlock JL movie gear for the characters.  Unfortunately, they added Flash yesterday and Cyborg today, but both expire at the same time.  If they keep doing this one per day, this means you'll have a VERY limited time for at least one or two chars (probably Superman and Batman).  On the other hand, I could REALLY use a matched set of level 20 gold gear on Flash and Superman.