DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

StarCraft II going FTP is this, from what I've read:

Wings of Liberty (Terran Campaign) is Free, if you already bought WoL, then you get Heart of the Swarm (Zerg Campaign) instead.  Co-op Commanders are free until Level 5.  All units unlock for Ranked Multiplayer for free after you get 10 "First Wins of the Day", meaning you need at least one win a day for 10 days.  

So if you still need Legacy of the Void (like I do), it's dropping to $14.99.  And since Christmas is coming, they'll probably drop a flash sale on it.

• Thanks 1

Most annoying player death sound/screen effect in games?

I bring this up since I'm trying to do another Uncharted game on "crushing" difficulty and boy I'm tired of the stupid little music every time I get Drake killed.

4 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Most annoying player death sound/screen effect in games?

I bring this up since I'm trying to do another Uncharted game on "crushing" difficulty and boy I'm tired of the stupid little music every time I get Drake killed.

It's negative reinforcement for you to "git gud", as the kids say these days.

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

It's negative reinforcement for you to "git gud", as the kids say these days.

(since you brought scp into play here)

git: 'gud' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

The most similar command is
        gui

• Haha 1

I 100%ed something! Ok, so it didn't have a platinum trophy but it counts anyway, right? I'm not much of a trophy hunter and i rarely hit 100% in anything. It was Sky Force Anniversary which was free on PS+ for October. I love a good old fashioned vertical or side scrolling shoot em up so gave it a shot when it went free. Anyway, by the time i beat it i was only missing 2 (somewhat grindy) trophies so i stuck with it to get them.

Any other decent PS4 games along those lines to continue re-living my childhood arcade days? It's a shame R-Type that's free this month isn't compatible on the PS4 or i'd go back and play that.

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I once refused to buy a game on Steam because checking out the forum before purchase, one of the Devs responded to a critique with git gud.

I remember that, and I kinda liked it.  I'm tired of developers kowtowing to everyone just because they expect to beat the game in one shot.

• Like 1

I am always down for hard games. Shit, I loved Nuclear Throne, Tales of Maj'Eyal. Dark Souls is cool. Difficulty has never been my issue. But there is a huge difference between "it's difficult because it's designed and balanced well" (and Maj'Eyal may be the all time example of that), vs "lol I don't know how to fix that, git gud".

The thing that actually turns me off way more than difficulty is really shitty menu design at this point. I have been gaming for 30 years and I don't understand how some games manage to fuck up The Menu Boss so bad.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Basara said:

I 100%ed something! Ok, so it didn't have a platinum trophy but it counts anyway, right? I'm not much of a trophy hunter and i rarely hit 100% in anything. It was Sky Force Anniversary which was free on PS+ for October. I love a good old fashioned vertical or side scrolling shoot em up so gave it a shot when it went free. Anyway, by the time i beat it i was only missing 2 (somewhat grindy) trophies so i stuck with it to get them.

Any other decent PS4 games along those lines to continue re-living my childhood arcade days? It's a shame R-Type that's free this month isn't compatible on the PS4 or i'd go back and play that.

Caladrius Blaze is on PS4 but it's a bit too Japanese.

There's also Arcade Archives which has Twinbee, Gradius, Gradius II, Life Force, Thunder Cross, Neo Geo shmups like Pulstar and Blazing Star. All around $8 each.

16 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Caladrius Blaze is on PS4 but it's a bit too Japanese.

There's also Arcade Archives which has Twinbee, Gradius, Gradius II, Life Force, Thunder Cross, Neo Geo shmups like Pulstar and Blazing Star. All around $8 each.

Thanks for the suggestions. Might have to grab a couple of those that i haven't played for years. Any experience with Sine Mora EX? It looks like it might scratch that itch too and it's on sale on the UK PS Store at the moment.

3 hours ago, Basara said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Might have to grab a couple of those that i haven't played for years. Any experience with Sine Mora EX? It looks like it might scratch that itch too and it's on sale on the UK PS Store at the moment.

I played a bit of Sine Mora on PS3 and found it sorta hard. I'll probably do a deeper dive into it when I'm ready to trophy hunt with it.

Smoked the Loghorrean with my Purifier in Grim Dawn.  Now I can actually start the expansion content.

Lego City Undercover hit my sweet spot of $20 on sale this week so I picked that up.  It's definitely more Lego, but there have been two legitimately clever goofs in the first 15 minutes so I'm  pleasantly surprised by the writing.

I know I am late to Breath of the Wild talk in general but I just wanted to give these first two impressions here while I'm working through it.

1) I cannot imagine playing this game in handheld. I want to play this on the biggest craziest TV possible.

2) It feels just as nostalgic for Other Zelda Games as it does for memories of childhood invincibility. Like, the first thing I did outside of the very first chamber was I climbed a tree. With my hands and feet. I cannot think of the last time a video game just like let me climb a tree that wasn't designated as The Designated Climbin' Tree. 

I'm gonna put a lot of time into this.

• Like 2

On 07/11/2017 at 9:01 PM, Zimbra said:

Smoked the Loghorrean with my Purifier in Grim Dawn.  Now I can actually start the expansion content.

The big thing you will notice is there is a LOT of AOE damage in the expansion. I haven't tried it with a summoner but it seems like it would be bothersome. The actual city of Malmouth itself is Aether damage flying around a lot too, and is by a country mile the hardest area in the game because of it. Really good expansion though. I mean, just in terms of raw content, it's certainly bigger than Diablo II: Lord of Destruction which I guess is sort of forever the standard by which an ARPG expansion is to be judged.

Haven't seen too much talk about AC:Origins. Makes sense, with the juggernaut of Mario and the Wolfenstein game getting a ton of buzz, but man, I'm having a lot of fun with it. 

I wouldn't call it a return to form, as I never fell off the AC bandwagon, but it feels like every change they made is for the good of the series. Combat is no longer rote counter kills over and over and even weaker enemies can be a challenge if they gang up. The world is enormous. I'll always be a sucker for loot games, too. 

At any rate, don't sleep on this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, assfax said:

Is it that same shit where even low level mooks take forever because you have to wait until you can counter their shit to do any damage?

No, they completely changed the combat. 

9 hours ago, assfax said:

Is it that same shit where even low level mooks take forever because you have to wait until you can counter their shit to do any damage?

Combat is almost Dark Souls-light. Nowhere near as unforgiving, but I'm dodging around and parrying just as much as I'm going on the offensive. Patience is rewarded.