DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

Beat steamworld 2 last night and was looking for another game to play before mario comes out on friday.  I'm lookin' at the eshop and the first damn thing is Mummy Demastered.  I'm thinkin' "why in the hell is there a damn mummy game for that mummy movie everybody didn't watch?".

6 hours ago, BL88 said:

DRAGON QUEST 4 [3] - While i often have to remind myself that this is the last NES game of the series, as a way to explain away the weird world that feels half-filled, it's otherwise a good, charming JRPG. The introduction passage has a lot of weird starts and stops, but it has a very well defined peak that is some of the most fun I've ever had playing an RPG. I'm specifically talking about the turn you spend with Torneko, an assistant weapon salesman who wants to start his own business. it has made me want to see an RPG Maker game that is entirely about a goal like this- not about saving the world, just about taking something small and making it something grand. There has to be one out there, right?

CURRENT DRAGON QUEST QUEST RANKING (best to worst): 7, 5, 4, 1, 9, 2 

Always dug IV's chapter scenario's. Torneko was one of my favorites to use if only for the merchant army attack. Surprised you haven't played 3 or 6 yet. Which is up next?

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Always dug IV's chapter scenario's. Torneko was one of my favorites to use if only for the merchant army attack. Surprised you haven't played 3 or 6 yet. Which is up next?

I'm still plugging away on 4, I had just come to the point where I understand how I feel about it. Next up is 6. I'm doing 3 last because for christmas I'm going to try to get either a GBA SP or a DS Lite and get the GBC cartridge. I tried doing it on my phone with Retroarch but the save state thing caused it to delete my save after four hours. I'm also working on and off on 8 because I know that game is going to be massively long so I'm taking breaks so I can savor it. Plus Mario's out Friday, so I'm realistically putting the bulk of my time into that.

I did Zeku's single player content (Character Story and 10- and 30-man Survival, I am not likely to ever finish a 50-man gauntlet) in Street Fighter 5 today, and I'm now prepared to call Season 2 a bust for me.  Akuma will always be Akuma, and Abigail is a fun update for Final Fight's lamest boss, but the others just really don't grab me in play even if they have a couple neat ideas.  I appreciate the desire to focus on new characters after S1 was all updated classics, but they just didn't work out for my very story-focused SF interest.  Also

Zeku may found the Striders in his Character Story; he's looking to start a new post-millennial ninja group, his "young form" looks a lot like Hiryu, and "Striders" is one of a half dozen names he considers in his ending.

5 hours ago, BL88 said:

I'm still plugging away on 4, I had just come to the point where I understand how I feel about it. Next up is 6. I'm doing 3 last because for christmas I'm going to try to get either a GBA SP or a DS Lite and get the GBC cartridge. I tried doing it on my phone with Retroarch but the save state thing caused it to delete my save after four hours. I'm also working on and off on 8 because I know that game is going to be massively long so I'm taking breaks so I can savor it. Plus Mario's out Friday, so I'm realistically putting the bulk of my time into that.

8 is pretty normal length wise. Really its only 7 that so darn long. I love it, but damn, does it take time.

Played that Mummy game at work tonight.  Looks great, controls great.  Then they have a bunch of tiny bug enemies. Then they load up on like nine different Medusa type infinitely respawning enemies. These bats shoot acid at you and the acid can travel through solid walls. Then they have shit fly out of doors when you are about to go through them.  Then when I finally died for the first time at the second boss, reupping my health and ammo was super tedious before retrying the fight.  Seems real goddamned stingy with the health.  They like to keep giving you ammo pickups when you are full.  Just have the goddamned save station refill yer health.  They have the super simple smooth platforming of Symphony of the Night with the knockback damage of Castlevania 1-3.  You can't run forward and shoot diagonally down like in Contra.  They also have the roll trigger when you hit jump while crouching.  There's this running upgrade that just seems kinda weird.  It doesn't really look like yer going any faster but if you move about half a screen you can suddenly jump further.  Bosses seem to clash with the pixel-art. Other than that, seems good.

The rumors that Obsidian Games plans to crowdfund a sequel to Alpha Protocol via Kickstarter are not true.

Sega still owns the IP and Obsidian has no plans to get the rights back.

It was common knowledge that Sega planned to shill movie rights to a studio if the game was a commercial success, but we all know how that turned out.  Alpha Protocol made respectable bank, but the lukewarm reviews tanked the franchise.

19 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I still don't understand how on earth the marketing people of the world dropped the ball so badly that there hasn't been a AAA Wonder Woman game announced. Even if it was a straight rip off of the Batman Arkham games reskinned it is a free one million copies sold.

You know why

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

You know why

I'm not so sure that it might be misogyny as the DCU folks probably did not expect Wonder Woman to be the tent pole character for their movie franchise universe..

Dudes will play a female protagonist in a video game (Bloodrayne, Tomb Raider) in a heartbeat.  If someone came up with an AAA Action RPG featuring Wonder Woman, it would be a hot seller.

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Samus, Chell and FemShep are all right there and you pick Bloodrayne? Really JT?

Did not have time to think about choices.  Had to run to an all hands After Action Review.

I got a time off award!

...again....

This is why I never do game pre-orders via Amazon (at least for the actual disc - downloads is a different story) since I know far too many people who get the game like 3 days after the release date

I pretty much expect to get Amazon preorders at 3pm release day, which is usually fine since I work til 4.  Gundam Vs was the first exception in years, and I blame that more on UPS than Amazon. But I'm annoyed when people in Fulfillment Center cities get things early.

IMAGINE THAT THIS COMMERCIAL IS ABOUT SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY INSTEAD OF MARIO 3

THIS IS HOW I FEEL SO HYPE NOW MARIO MARIO MARIO

*ahem*

Can't wait to go pick up my physical copy at 9PM release in five hours. 

• Like 2

I played the demo of Super Mario Odyssey and I was instantly transported to being a middle school kid again.

I'll be getting a Switch tomorrow (or this Christmas) for one freakin' game.

There goes my Platinum trophy hunting. I beat DmC Devil May Cry on PS3 and....I liked it?