DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

On 10/10/2017 at 2:19 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

Is Picross S the best game to come out this year? I'm not sure, but I can make an argument that it is. 

unfortunately Pictopix (PC Picross with a picture maker and steam workshop support) also came out this year so it might not even be the best picross game that came out this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I am doing a Death Knight (Soldier/Necromancer) out of the gate. Most of the actual new game content I probably won't see for a while.

I'm doing purifier (Inquisitor/Demolitionist) for a gunslinging good time.

3 hours ago, BL88 said:

unfortunately Pictopix (PC Picross with a picture maker and steam workshop support) also came out this year so it might not even be the best picross game that came out this year.

OK, but is it easy to play in bed and on my back porch? 

(Seriously, thank you for the info - just another game to check out on Steam, preferably before I buy Football Manager and that takes up a huge chunk of my time on PC this year.)

On another note, I got one 'o them SNES Classics to go with my NES Classic. I modded it. Now, it's not merely an eighty dollar emulator trapped in a cool form factor, but a complete escape back to my simple youth, when I didn't have to worry about paying bills or getting nuked. 

In other words, it was well-worth the money. Also, I still remember where all the secret exits are in Super Mario World somehow; the information is buried deep in my subconscious. Playing the game again for the first time in maybe eight or nine years feels weird, as I don't actually remember fully where those goals are, but I'm guided to them somehow without even realizing it or actively trying to explore the levels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I'm doing purifier (Inquisitor/Demolitionist) for a gunslinging good time.

I committed a while ago mentally to doing Death Knight* but I have to admit the Inquisitor looks really cool and I want to experiment with it too. On paper I don't really see a weak skill. I also didn't even realize until yesterday we were getting extra stash space, which I guess isn't really needed in a game that lets you mule so easily but is still a great convenience for the shared stash.

(*My go to in Diablo II when all else failed to inspire me was always Concentrate Barbarian, so a stand-and-deliver tank, so this is really quite similar.)

On 10/14/2017 at 6:26 AM, Andrew POE! said:

Humble Bundle got bought out by IGN. So all the money you pay for bundles will go to a site that will give 9.0 to the latest COD.

if only you could choose where your money goes

I made a mock-up of what that might look like

edd698189e.png

if only

also, if my options are "an enormous monolithic storefront that aggresively refuses to curate or help with harassment in any meaningful way" and "peer schneider hires suspiciously super-positive wonks," I'm still willing to take my chances with peer here and there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JustJay said:

Listening to you all talking about the Grim Dawn expansion is killing me. Saving money mode until after little one's bday. I should be able to get it in a few weeks. Sounds pretty great! Cannot wait!!

Yeah, I just need to get through the next couple of paychecks and two nephew and a neice's birthdays and fuck that medical bill and.... but yeah, that looks so much fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

Yeah, I just need to get through the next couple of paychecks and two nephew and a neice's birthdays and fuck that medical bill and.... but yeah, that looks so much fun.

Do you have the base game?  If not it's only $7 on Humble for another day or so.

Yeah I actually got the base game cheap off humble as well when I got it. The three stores I actually tend to watch the most are Steam, Humble, and Bundlestars. I have this nagging guilt in the back of my head that I really should buy some stuff on GOG at some point given all the amazing free shit they have just given away over the years.

I mostly buy off Steam or Humble for the convenience and the auto-updates.  I like GOG as a company and I buy classic stuff from them, but their Galaxy client has always run like ass on my computer and at this point I'm way to lazy to manually patch stuff. 

GOG's sales are pretty great, but it seems like everyone's are these days.