DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

13 hours ago, Sasha said:

I'm about a third of the way through Cuphead. This game is testing my nerves in all the right ways. That said, the backgrounds and art style are just so beautiful that they are distracting sometimes. There are some moments where the screen's a bit crowded so it's easy to walk/fly into an enemy, but I don't think I've ever been distracted by background art before.

I think I'm just old and my reflexes are terrible, but Cuphead is a frustrating struggle for me. After about 10 tries and failures during a battle, I'm screaming curse words I thought I'd forgot.

I've beaten two bosses on easy. The more I play the firsr run and gun, the worse at it I get.

Still, gorgeous game, and I'm happy to support its existence.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Destiny 2 isn't quite clicking for me, so I figured I'd finally give Diablo III a shot.  Got the Eternal Evil edition and trying out a season Crusader.

As much as I enjoyed the PS4 game, I really need to just bite the bullet on Black Friday or whenever the PC version of D3 is on sale next so i can do seasons and other things Blizzard doesn't think I deserve.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 hours ago, jstout said:

I think I'm just old and my reflexes are terrible, but Cuphead is a frustrating struggle for me. After about 10 tries and failures during a battle, I'm screaming curse words I thought I'd forgot.

I've beaten two bosses on easy. The more I play the firsr run and gun, the worse at it I get.

Still, gorgeous game, and I'm happy to support its existence.

I think I get reminded of three- or four-stage final bosses in old NES games I played growing up when it comes time to collect a soul contract. It's pretty much all pattern recognition. I do like that it throws a nice curveball by changing how the stages can play out (such as the slot machine) so you have to be ready for multiple possible patterns.

5 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

As much as I enjoyed the PS4 game, I really need to just bite the bullet on Black Friday or whenever the PC version of D3 is on sale next so i can do seasons and other things Blizzard doesn't think I deserve.

PS4 got seasons a couple of patches ago.  I think we're more or less at parity with the PC version now.

For some reason, Namco blocking streaming on Gundam Vs pisses me off way more than Atlus doing the same for P5 did.  Spent an hour with the game, it feels like old times, but I doubt I will spend anywhere near as much time with it as I did the PS2 games since there's no 50-hour story mode.  Also, playing with the Gundam 0083 chars has made me realize that that's the one series where I still think of the English voices as the 'real' ones and the Japanese sound wrong to me.

Blasted through Oxenfree at the weekend. Still got the last bit to go with the mass triangulation but it's definitely a game I'll revisit as there are places I definitely messed up (Hangman) and different conversations I want to have.

It made me realise that not enough games do “normal” stuff well, as not one conversation felt forced or daft which is a first for video games.

Amazed no one has optioned it for a movie after success of Stranger Things!

• Like 1

Cuphead:  I finally beat those god damned frogs last night.  It was a matter of staying calm and focused and learning the timing/patterns.  Took me about an hour to beat Hilda Berg (the Zeppelin) and then it was midnight and oh my god why am I still playing, I have work in the morning.

And then I played for another hour.  FUCK that Flower. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Path of Exile finally clicked and now it has its dumb hooks in me.  I'm running a tornado shot ranger and just melting shit before it even gets close to me.  But I'm getting stuck on the labyrinth and keep dying to stupid mistakes, which is getting really frustrating.

EDIT: Finally beat it.  Eat a dick,  Izaro.

• Thanks 1

Golf RPG is good.  Visually looks like GBA Pokemon and Mother 3.  Writing hews towards Bill Towner in House 2 and that "I kick arse for the lord" guy in Dead Alive.  It's great to just huck golf balls at peoples faces point blank.  Satisfies that urge like when you just want to bean people in a baseball game.   Seems like pokemon too in that it's this place where everybody is just into this single thing and the whole world exists just for golf.  I'm liking that they weren't afraid to just have gear where you can clearly tell it's flat-ass better than what you already have.  Kinda like Ys used to do before all the bullshit crafting seeped in.  So far I'm not seeing any lame, incrementally statted gear where you have to squint at it to see if it's better. 

I want a 200 million dollar, AAA ,first person  Darts RPG where it's just you walking around and then you see a dartboard pattern in some obscure place and throw darts at it to get money.  My characters name is Treble Toneighty.

I mean, shit, were those old fishing RPGs this fucking good? What the hell was it called?  Legend of the River King?

I beat Rayman Legends, Metroid Returns and Donkey Kong 3DS within the past month and I didn't write up a big multi-paragraph screed at three in the mornin' for that shit.

Some slight niggling issues are the inability to quickly restart a long challenge when you know you don't have enough shots left and some camera issues.  More like when I'm lining up a tight shot or want to see where exactly the hole is.  Sometimes the camera will get hung up and your man will be stuck near the top of the screen and you can't read text boxes.  I found that just taking another shot and recentering the camera fixes it.  I've had the ball get hung up and just vibrate in place.  Like on the mini-golf course I had to close the game and restart.  It seems to autosave after any progress though.

I also thought the frisbee golf controls weren't clearly explained.  It steers like old weird car controls on NES where even if it's going horizontally you still use left and right to move.

22 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Path of Exile finally clicked and now it has its dumb hooks in me.  I'm running a tornado shot ranger and just melting shit before it even gets close to me.  But I'm getting stuck on the labyrinth and keep dying to stupid mistakes, which is getting really frustrating.

EDIT: Finally beat it.  Eat a dick,  Izaro.

hehehehehehe... converted another one! ;-)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Street Fighter V will finally be a complete game on January 16 when it gets an arcade ladder mode, a mere 22 1/2 months after it shipped. Still no word on who the last 2017 DLC char is.

Dan at triple the usual price.

• Haha 2

One trophy away from platinum'ing Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken. Problem is the last trophy is complete the co op campaign and it's local co op (no online co op). Pretty damn hard with two controllers and having the second character keep dying from waves of enemies. I'm having to ask a friend offline to come by my place to help me. Ugh.

With my lack of luck in getting either Nintendo flashback item, I said fuck it and got a 2DS. Now I can't put New Super Mario Brothers 2 down. I haven't even popped Ocarina of Time in yet.

GETTING OVER IT WITH BENNETT FODDY [4] - It is probably impossible to watch someone play this and like not laugh. It's from the dude who made QWOP (the four keys running thing) and it looks like this.

TYRANNY [3] - Did I pick a great time in history to start this or what? So it's good, for sure, because unlike a million other "YOU'RE EVIL" games it's actually more thought out than that. It very accurately feels like a job working for The State that makes you travel all the time, which would be a great adventure if it weren't for the background radiation of "what I am doing is definitely going to lead to someone dying at some point." I don't expect to get much further in this than I am now, but gosh I respect how much time they spent thinking this stuff through.

RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER [3] - I imagine these developers played The Last Guardian after their game came out and went "OHHHHH. FUUUUUCK." If they would have made a game that was like Actual Tomb Raider, with very little uncharted, they would have made one of the best action games this generation. Those little puzzles are just so, so damn cool that it makes every moment there is another human on screen an absolute drag. They forgot the part that makes the Uncharted games work, which is that the thing that stops the characters from being pencil sketches is that you are around them ALL THE TIME. Even through I was just watching a lets play, I felt bad for Elena in Uncharted 4. That's because they're around each other so much that it feels like you have a more complete perspective. I'm still early so maybe there's a part coming where Lara isn't just talking to herself in a really weirdly conspicuous way. For now, here's where I am: the parts where this game are Uncharted are horrible, the parts where it's Far Cry are fine, and the parts where it's The Last Guardian are amazing, and hopefully they can push that balance a little further now that we're done rising a tomb raider, and we can get to some regular ol' tomb raidin'.

I consider myself a pretty good gamer, as I've been playing video games since my father got me a NES when I was eight years old. Since I have limited time these days for games I generally don't play online against other gamers since I'm not good enough for that, but I have beaten such games as Breath of the Wild, Horizon, and Mass Effect this year. On the other hand, if a game doesn't grip me or is just more frustrating than fun, I am quick to put it down and move on since my time is too limited to play something that isn't fun from start to finish.

I tell that story to tell this story - I started Divinity Original Sin 2 and for the first time ever I am playing a game in 'girlfriend mode'. I never play games in hardcore mode but generally if a game has four difficulty options I play on the 2nd or 3rd, depending on the game. But I played the first one on Classic Mode and it fell under "more frustrating than fun," and I only played it about ten hours before quitting even though I really enjoyed the gameplay. So while I realize I am not getting the full experience since part of the "fun" is the game is stupid hard, I really just want to actually play it longer and figured this was a good compromise. Plus the first "big" enemy I met almost killed one of my characters so maybe this is the right level for me anyway.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I am about two-thirds through Cuphead now. I restarted my game so I could better allocate my weapons and charms. I really like the Roundabout and Lobber weapons, with occasional use of Chaser (weak as it may be, it's super helpful when you're in a level where you need to focus more on dodging than aiming). I've alternating between the Smoke Bomb and P. Sugar as my charm. I don't think the extra hit point is worth the tradeoff in damage reduction, and the Spread is just so short range that I can't justify it.