DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

Finally finished Tales from the borderlands - catching up on the list of shame.

Enjoyed Vaughn's arc the most, even though he wasnt on ep 4 at all.

I have a fond hope that Rhys's corpse is going to be found in the early running of BL3, and his echo eye is still there...

PSN has been down all day (in England). So I thought I'd play some Just Cause 3, being as that's not an online game. It wouldn't load because it couldn't log on to the online server. So I played GTA: San Andreas instead. It's a fuckload harder than GTA 5 is. Paramedic is a nightmare. 12 levels of that shit. Firefighter was pretty straightforward though.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

PSN has been down all day (in England). So I thought I'd play some Just Cause 3, being as that's not an online game. It wouldn't load because it couldn't log on to the online server. So I played GTA: San Andreas instead. It's a fuckload harder than GTA 5 is. Paramedic is a nightmare. 12 levels of that shit. Firefighter was pretty straightforward though.

GTA 5 is baby mode compared to the original trilogy, but the paramedic stuff is really easy if you do it in Angel Pine (small town after you get out of Los Santos at the base of Mt Chilidad).  All of the pickups are within the small town limits and you can get through it in about 20 minutes.

• Like 1

The RC planes aren't that bad unless you're playing the original PS2 version.  Just don't use the gas button too much.

I have a lot more hate for the Catalina missions than the Zero ones.  Especially that one with the fucking ATV, which has the worst handling of pretty much any vehicle in any GTA game.  At least you can skip the Zero missions if you want and you don't have Catalina yelling at you constantly.

Yeah you can always tell who never revisited San Andreas. The RC Plane mission isn't even Zero's hardest mission.

When I 100%'d it the couple races with the biplane, and the Mount Chilliad Challenge bike race are so hard even in the final version that they border on being genuinely broken. The collectables also stunk, especially the San Fierro photo op ones because the markers are INVISIBLE unless you are looking through a camera. I refuse to believe anyone did all 50 at once until a FAQ came out, which was around the start of that unfortunate FAQ-designed questing that has since been a thing.

The police missions also sucked a lot and were basically a waste of time unless you had the attack chopper. No worse really than in GTA 3 where they were basically a waste of time unless you did that hilarious glitch where simply pausing and unpausing the game causes the guy to pull over and get out of his car. I loved that glitch so much.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The police missions also sucked a lot and were basically a waste of time unless you had the attack chopper. No worse really than in GTA 3 where they were basically a waste of time unless you did that hilarious glitch where simply pausing and unpausing the game causes the guy to pull over and get out of his car. I loved that glitch so much.

I do them in Las Venturas using the Rhino.  If you trigger the sub-mission on the freeway, most of the criminals are on the freeway or on the on/off ramps and you can use the Rhino's cannon as a turbo boost to speed around the freeway quickly.

• Like 1

I OFFICIALLY GIVE THE FUCK UP ON DRAGON QUEST IX [2] - I just spent 5 straight hours grinding, harvesting mats, crafting the most advanced armor and weapons I could get my hands on. The game rewarded me by making the last dungeon an enormous boss rush, and then instantly murdering my priest. I reward the game by turning it off and putting it away. I was already dumb enough to grind for gear for characters that I actively resented. I am not going to try this boss again. I don't care. I will never care. Do not play Dragon Quest IX, as it is the opposite of everything good about other Dragon Quest games. I could go on for just way too long, but I will summarize it simply as "my 2 rating means 'I regret buying this'"

I'm still going to try to beat VIII before Destiny 2 comes out on PC. I'm going to take a bunch of cans to the recycling plant and buy a DS copy of IV.

HEAT SIGNATURE [2] - This is NO STATEMENT on the quality of the game. It plays very well. It's just not a thing I want to play. I don't get anything out of Rogueing. Hashtag Team Level Design. Fortunately it has done very well so Tom Francis is gonna keep doing weird shit, and that's something I'm totally in support of. He just missed me with this one. If you have seen Heat Signature, and you think you might like Heat Signature, you will probably like Heat Signature.

8 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

You can probably just flip it on eBay.  They're already going for $200+.

I have an extra but I like to wait a few weeks before selling hot items right after they release. It may hurt the value $25 or so but there are a lot of scam buyers right now as well and to me its not worth the risk. Or people that pay $200 for it then find one in the wild and want to return it, which is really annoying.

11 hours ago, BL88 said:

I OFFICIALLY GIVE THE FUCK UP ON DRAGON QUEST IX [2] - I just spent 5 straight hours grinding, harvesting mats, crafting the most advanced armor and weapons I could get my hands on. The game rewarded me by making the last dungeon an enormous boss rush, and then instantly murdering my priest. I reward the game by turning it off and putting it away. I was already dumb enough to grind for gear for characters that I actively resented. I am not going to try this boss again. I don't care. I will never care. Do not play Dragon Quest IX, as it is the opposite of everything good about other Dragon Quest games. I could go on for just way too long, but I will summarize it simply as "my 2 rating means 'I regret buying this'"

Damn, I don't remember IX too well, but i recall thinking it was ok, just disappointing after great games in VII & VIII. The way you're talking about it reminds me of the type of hatred I have for Breath of Fire V.

Got up yesterday, headed to Toys R Us a little before opening time, and they were out of SNES minis because they opened early unannounced.  Got 42.  I think they got 2-3 NES minis.  Numbers are way better.

Went to the GameStop across the street, was 12th in line, waited 45 min for the store to open and got my SNES mini and it's pretty great.  Cords are still too short but the controllers feel wonderful.  GameStop got around 20.  

What I'm saying is you're gonna be able to find these unless you need one right this second.

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

Damn, I don't remember IX too well, but i recall thinking it was ok, just disappointing after great games in VII & VIII. The way you're talking about it reminds me of the type of hatred I have for Breath of Fire V.

Before I continue, I will say that I have never played Dragon Quarter, SUPER want to, and have read up on how some of it's weirder systems work.

For me it's like, I have unlimited patience for a game that tries something big and weird, regardless of how successful it may or may not be. DQIX, by the nature of being DQ, can't veer too far away, but the problems it has are things that were done to it in service of making it a multiplayer game. Like, a villain is not introduced until like 30 hours into the game, and they go so haphazardly over the introduction of that storyline that it's absurd. There are ways to make an RPG where you avoid naming your evil force for the majority of the game (DQVII, for an example) and the way to do that is to show you that like something decidedly evil is happening. In IX, it's just like "oh wow something mysterious knocked the fyggs to earth and mortals weren't supposed to eat them, better round them up OH NO AN EVIL EMPIRE IS OVER HERE, WE BEAT THEM A LONG TIME AGO AND YOU ARE AN IMMORTAL ANGEL WITH A BUNCH OF OTHER IMMORTAL ANGEL FRIENDS AND NOT ONE OF THEM THOUGHT TO BRING THIS UP IN THE PRECEDING 30 HOURS."

So between that, party members that you custom design at the expense of No One Talks The Whole Game, characters that you never interact with a second time, and a half-hearted mashup between VII's class system and VIII's skill points, where the skill points take longer to amass and the advanced classes are all hidden behind incredibly asinine quests? To then run into that Huge Wall that basically spelled out "if you want to fix this, you are going to have to grind with these characters you resent to complete a story you don't care about," I quit. My time is too valuable.

In the game's defense, I beat the VII remake earlier this year and started VIII for a breath of fresh air when I was getting frustrated farming for materials to make the Uber Falcon Blade. They both make IX look Absolutely Terrible. I cannot imagine what it was like to beat VIII, wait five years, and get this.

I loved IX. It was tough, well-written, really engaging and I don't remember the end being *that* hard with the right party? But sometimes I'll put on a baseball game and go ham on Liquid Metal Slimes so I don't know if I just grind like a weirdo.My big beef with IS was what a mess the side quests were. Currently very close to beating DQVII. Lot of charm but my Lord what a slog. Too much everything.

Also, YO, Golf Story. Are you playing Golf Story? Why aren't you playing Golf Story? Play Golf Story.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I'm about a third of the way through Cuphead. This game is testing my nerves in all the right ways. That said, the backgrounds and art style are just so beautiful that they are distracting sometimes. There are some moments where the screen's a bit crowded so it's easy to walk/fly into an enemy, but I don't think I've ever been distracted by background art before.