DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

17 hours ago, twiztor said:

guess i won't play Warcraft II today. apparently my 4 year old computer is too new for the program. Diablo3 it is.

Supposedly it works great under Dosbox. 

I'm so tired of going onto the Steam Forums and seeing someone report a technical issue, followed by 5 morons listing their hardware and saying the issue doesn't exist for them so the issue obviously doesn't exist for anyone, because that's how glitches work. Or they jump straight into just bullying people screaming git gud.

Those forums are a genuinely loathsome place.

• Like 1

When I said I wasn't going to dig into Grim Dawn until the new expansion dropped, I lied. I lied badly.

It's very good. Definitely a game to try if you like Diablo/Path of Exile style games and want something single player focused. You also have an option of setting the first playthrough to either "normal" or "veteran" difficulty which is cool (then after that it does the usual New Game  +/New Game++ that is just part of the game style format now). I got to about level 30 on veteran before I had to cut down just because my gear/resists aren't great yet and it was getting super hard to progress. But I can see where it's a great feature for long term players that have all sorts of goodies stashed away.

The Devotion system is a little overly complex when you are first looking at it, but the wiki at least does a good job of listing out all the possible bonuses clearly and it starts making a lot more sense pretty quickly.

My first meaningful character is a dual weilding Blademaster focused on cold damage. 

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this style of game using a (mostly) preset map instead of the (mostly) procedural generation style but it gives them the chance to add more little hidden areas and secrets that your typical Diablo game doesn't really have, and I no longer really see any concern there. Let's be real the meat of these games is the combat anyway not mapping stuff. And it's cool when you find some breakable wall that leads to a hidden chest or whatever.

I will be pouring insane hours into this, probably. There are so many skeletons to punch.

Is anyone playing Street Fighter 5? I bought a used copy earlier this year and just got around to playing it. I ended up buying the season 1 characters and used points on a few of the season 2 guys.

If anyone is up for playing my PSN name is Ramo2653.

I dick around with it, have a season pass, but don't play seriously.  There's just not enough single player content, and I am bad enough at multiplayer that I end up playing Injustice 2 or Guilty Gear instead since those have more single-player content than I'll ever get thru.

I just finished up Jason Schreier's BLOOD, SWEAT, and PIXELS, and I'll be damned if I know how any video game gets made.

The final chapter on STAR WARS 1313 is heartbreaking, especially the part where the project heads go to Visceral Games in a last ditch effort to save the game, and they give their pitch, only to have the president of Visceral go, "Um, we don't know why you think you're here, but we're just interviewing you for jobs on our games."  Like something out of a movie, man.

Man, that Switch Namco Museum is weird.  Rolling Thunder 1 and 2, Splatterhouse with green blood, and a sequel to Tank Battalion I didn't know existed. Been playing some Galaga 88 (my favorite in the series) and I need to find people to play Pac-Man Vs with, as I've wanted to try it since the Gamecube.

Just saw that Toys R Us is potentially filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy which would possibly void all standing gift cards. I suppose if you have any laying around, like my son who has $130 worth, go get yourself some video games ASAP.

Edit: TRU is saying everything will be everything will be remaining status quo through the holiday season. I'd like to believe that because we were planning on cashing in on the Black Friday sales. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 2:38 PM, Death From Above said:

When I said I wasn't going to dig into Grim Dawn until the new expansion dropped, I lied. I lied badly.

It's very good. Definitely a game to try if you like Diablo/Path of Exile style games and want something single player focused. You also have an option of setting the first playthrough to either "normal" or "veteran" difficulty which is cool (then after that it does the usual New Game  +/New Game++ that is just part of the game style format now). I got to about level 30 on veteran before I had to cut down just because my gear/resists aren't great yet and it was getting super hard to progress. But I can see where it's a great feature for long term players that have all sorts of goodies stashed away.

The Devotion system is a little overly complex when you are first looking at it, but the wiki at least does a good job of listing out all the possible bonuses clearly and it starts making a lot more sense pretty quickly.

My first meaningful character is a dual weilding Blademaster focused on cold damage. 

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this style of game using a (mostly) preset map instead of the (mostly) procedural generation style but it gives them the chance to add more little hidden areas and secrets that your typical Diablo game doesn't really have, and I no longer really see any concern there. Let's be real the meat of these games is the combat anyway not mapping stuff. And it's cool when you find some breakable wall that leads to a hidden chest or whatever.

I will be pouring insane hours into this, probably. There are so many skeletons to punch.

It is such a great great game. I have over 100 hours into it. Resist are key once you get to Elite and Ultimate. I have two characters that level 67 and a bunch that are in the late teens and early twenties. Here are a bunch of useful websites -

Map - http://the-maphack.com/index.php?page=2&lang=en#1

Database - https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/

Database and Build helper - http://www.grimtools.com/index.html

Easier Build Calculator - https://grimcalc.com/

Also their forums are really helpful at least as gaming forums go. The build Compendiums are a great help. 

Forums - http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/

Build Compendium IV -http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36808

The game guide from the Crate site is great http://www.grimdawn.com/game.php

Have fun and hope these help!

• Like 3

I started Dragon Quest XIII the other day, and I learned that my process- of playing a bunch of the old games first- was the right way to go. Even now, years after it was a new game, when Yangus started speaking out lout, I flipped my fucking shit, and when they started moving through the country side as the credits ran I goddamn near almost cried, it was so intense compared to all the DS and NES stuff I've been playing.

I was previously not interested in getting DQXI for PS4, thinking I'd be just fine on 3DS. I was wrong. I was very wrong.

On 9/19/2017 at 4:47 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

Man, that Switch Namco Museum is weird.  Rolling Thunder 1 and 2, Splatterhouse with green blood, and a sequel to Tank Battalion I didn't know existed. Been playing some Galaga 88 (my favorite in the series) and I need to find people to play Pac-Man Vs with, as I've wanted to try it since the Gamecube.

Rolling Thunder 2! That brings back some memories. Never ever completed that game. Could get to the last level then that was all she wrote

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I've been getting into Rolling Thunder lately at Dave & Buster's.  Great game.  I have the Genesis sequels also.

I assume they had to edit Splatterhouse to get around a M rating.  Did the edit the mask as well?

I finished Mad Max - decent game, nothing too exciting though.  Really did feel like they followed the UbiSoft formula of padding the game with a lot of side missions/collectables.  Debating which game to start next, as my wife is giving birth in about 3-4 weeks and the gaming time is already pretty limited.  I have mostly been playing oldschool games.  The Arcade Archives on PS4 finally released some non NeoGeo stuff.  Picked up The Ninja Warriors and Haunted Castle (original Castlevania) over the past week.

20 hours ago, BL88 said:

I started Dragon Quest XIII the other day, and I learned that my process- of playing a bunch of the old games first- was the right way to go. Even now, years after it was a new game, when Yangus started speaking out lout, I flipped my fucking shit, and when they started moving through the country side as the credits ran I goddamn near almost cried, it was so intense compared to all the DS and NES stuff I've been playing.

I was previously not interested in getting DQXI for PS4, thinking I'd be just fine on 3DS. I was wrong. I was very wrong.

Do you you have time traveling powers, or did you mean VIII?

I picked up VIII a week ago and have been having so much fun playing it again. XI doesn't have voice acting though the Japanese version of VIII didn't either until the 3DS version.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Do you you have time traveling powers, or did you mean VIII?

I picked up VIII a week ago and have been having so much fun playing it again. XI doesn't have voice acting though the Japanese version of VIII didn't either until the 3DS version.

dawg i'm from fuckin' space

no uh sleep dep added an extra five games there

On 9/17/2017 at 5:39 PM, EVA said:

I just finished up Jason Schreier's BLOOD, SWEAT, and PIXELS, and I'll be damned if I know how any video game gets made.

The final chapter on STAR WARS 1313 is heartbreaking, especially the part where the project heads go to Visceral Games in a last ditch effort to save the game, and they give their pitch, only to have the president of Visceral go, "Um, we don't know why you think you're here, but we're just interviewing you for jobs on our games."  Like something out of a movie, man.

Good to hear.  Been meaning to pick that one up.

Studio The Chinese Room (Dear Esther, Everybody's Gone To Rapture) has announced that they are "going dark" for awhile

Apparently the majority of the staff had been laid off when they finished work on their next game (A VR game called So Let Us Melt)