DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

Today's a big day for this board, and I'm surprised more people aren't in here talking about this game, because it's the release date of what is looking like one of the best games to come out in 2017.

no, not that one.

EVERYBODY'S GOLF (f.k.a. hot shots golf) [4] - If anyone here likes Golf Games like I like Golf Games, they'll know that it's been a fucking mega-drought for golf games that are any damn good. There's some weird fringe early access/XBone stuff like The Golf Club (admittedly a killer name), but for anyone looking to golf by tapping a button three times while maybe holding a D-pad direction, they've kind of been SOL. That includes me. Fortunately, Everybody's Golf is here with a warm and loving embrace and a really finely tuned character creator. I no shit dumped six hours into this upon download yesterday and it's fucking super super good. It's maybe a little samey early on- I've played the same nine holes about a half dozen times in that time, but the thing the game is really good at is progression. You get better at stuff by doing it. Want to drive better? Drive Better. It's fucking Golf Skyrim, but you can't sequence break their poorly written plot. I'm going to sink a fucking hundred hours into this thing before the end of the year, because DAMNIT I love me a good Golf Game.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 9:39 AM, Shane said:

I've been playing Agents of Mayhem. I just had to check out the newest Volition joint, regardless of the reviews. It's entirely average in every way. I'm having fun with it, I guess, but it's super repetitive and most of the writing is...poor. I'm lucky to have access to games through work. Had I dropped $60 on this, I'd probably have harsher feelings, but free is the right price.

I paid the full and I feel it's got enough, but with a little more time and care, I think the game could've been something truly special.  I don't feel the absolute need to complete the game - the story isn't that interesting to me and there just isn't enough to keep me coming back.  Harder difficulties and more weapons don't add value for me.

I'm also having a harder time getting into Yakuza Kiwami than I did Yakuza 0, but I chalk that up to it basically being an "older" game.  Even though it's using the same engine, I feel like the combat just isn't as good as 0 was - with a lot of battles, I feel like I'm just getting through them via copious use of health packs, rather than actually figuring out the opponent and beating them with tactics and skill.  It's not as fun that way.

Everybody's Golf feels like something I'll pick up on a flash sale when it's around $20. I've lamented the lack of a great golf game on this console. It's the one bummer of EA abandoning the Tiger Woods series and then the Rory one being a complete dud.

I grabbed Grim Dawn in the big current Humble sale for 60% off though I probably will not play it until it's soon-to-be-released expansion with 2 more classes and more content arrives. I want to play this a lot but I see no point to jump in right now when I can just wait a few weeks and get the whole experience then. In the mean time I still am going through Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition.

I'm far enough into that now to say pretty conclusively that I'm kind of sad this franchise went nowhere, because compared to its peer games Saints Row the Third and GTA 4, it feels like a better overall game to me. SR3 was fun mind you, if basically a GTA San Andreas clone with updated graphics and a zombie sub-story. But this game just feels more satisfying somehow. My low end rig chugs a little on it, but the game still looks and sounds great even on that. Combat is satisfying to me. The lack of gunplay is, at least for me, cool. The story is nothing really new, but all has been on point. It really does a good job of capturing that feel of being inside a giant action movie that this sort of game should have. Only real weaknesses are again, my rig chugs a little on it, and the radio stations really lack much variety. But overall the game is really fun. I also like how the dialogue is a mix of English and Chinese and not just some straight dub job one way or the other. They just did a good job at making this fictionalized Hong Kong feel interesting and believable enough to me.

I got to kill a guy with a fish.

Fun Fact! Sleeping Dogs was originally announced as True Crime: Hong Kong, and was content complete when it got cancelled by Activision in 2011 for "quality concerns" (more specifically, they didn't think it could compete against GTA or Red Dead). Square Enix bought the rights to the game (but not the True Crime IP) and released it the next year as Sleeping Dogs.

I read about that and it is an interesting backstory. I suppose Activision must have done a fair chunk of the leg work outside of (I assume) some story rewriting, voice overs etc, as it really is a game that feels sort of out of place with what Square Enix is known for. Maybe it explains to a point the lack of a follow-up.

I think it's the same problem that befell Red Faction Guerilla.  It sold fuck all at $60, got discounted and showed up in frequent PSN and XBLA sales, and 2.8 million people bought it for $15 and discovered how amazing it is.  I know I bought it on 360 when it was a deal of the week or whatever, played about a third of the way thru, and then bought the Definitive Edition on Steam and PS4 when THOSE were $15.

Could be, but it's also worth remembering Square's window for what counts as a successful game is notoriously fucked. Like, the first remade Tomb Raider was internally considered a flop. From Eurogamer:

3.4 million copies of Tomb Raider have been sold in four weeks, publisher Square Enix has revealed, which is not enough to hit the game's sales target.

Fellow Square Enix title Hitman Absolution sold 3.6 million units since its launch in November last year, while Sleeping Dogs sold 1.75 million since last August.

There's no mention of what the company's internal sales expectations were for the trio, just that all three missed their respective marks.

Square Enix expected 14.9 million retail game sales from North America and Europe combined in its six-monthly forecast last September. Considering the fact that Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs were the only big releases for these regions and accounted for a combined 8.75 million sales worldwide, it's clear that their targets were a good deal higher.

Today's numbers, published in Square Enix's latest financial report, do not count digital sales.

Also, all that shit that just happened with Hitman is another peek at their high internal bars, as well as Final Fantasy XV making it's development budget back in a weekend and FF14 putting up WoW subscriber numbers with the same monthly fee. Not to mention Dragon Quest. Square's barometer for success is adjusted to them being The Hottest Shit In Japan, and not Modestly Successful In The US.

• Like 1

Dragon Age: Inquisition on Ultra graphics settings is the first thing to make my new computer chug a bit. I'm still working on getting used to the keyboard controls after 3 years of PS3/PS4 controller settings. ;-) I looked up modding and ran away screaming, especially since it seems one of the major tools has basically been abandoned by its creators. We'll see if some friends can eventually walk me through adding some better hair and stuff.

On 9/7/2017 at 10:03 AM, Zimbra said:

I didn't realize that Everybody's Golf was the same as Hot Shot's Golf, but now I'm interested.  I may have to Redbox it this weekend.

I did this and EG rules.  I just wish it was a bit easier to unlock new courses.  Definitely buying this when it goes on sale.

Worryingly, most of the current WWE roster are too young to have been into Fire Pro when it was at it's peak. I think Samoa Joe was into it though, as evidenced by his moveset ;) 

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Worryingly, most of the current WWE roster are too young to have been into Fire Pro when it was at it's peak. I think Samoa Joe was into it though, as evidenced by his moveset ;) 

Can easily see AJ making CAWs for it back in the day. 

Uh, oh....

It's the end of an era for fans of Naughty Dog's games. Bruce Straley, best-known as the co-director (along with Neil Druckmann) of The Last of Us and Uncharted 4, is leaving the studio after 18 years.