DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

48 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I love F-Zero and Sonic is and always has been trash. You are free to downthumb this good post on the internet.

No, I get it. I feel the opposite: Sonic is top-tier when developed properly and F-Zero is trash (except for that F-Zero arcade game that was developed by, you guessed it, Sega).

But they do remind me strongly of one another, especially the 2D/3D hybrid levels in Unleashed and Generations in particular.

Yo. Sonic Mania. It's a good game.

I wasn't playing much of anything when the real stinkers came out, the era of Sonic '06, Unleashed, Secret Rings and Black Knight. I can't even imagine having emotional capital invested in the series when those were coming out. But it wasn't like there were no good Sonic games between Adventure 2 and now. First and foremost the Sonic Advance series is underrated. I can't believe it's been this many years and Nintendo hasn't found a good way to release old GBA games. Sonic Heroes was pretty novel and generally fun to play. I bought Sonic Colors on the cheap about a year ago and was pretty pleased by it, even if it is a Mario Galaxy rip-off. The original Sonic Mega Collection was absolutely fine and almost ahead-of-its-time, occupying the short-lived time between hardware that could support bigger multi-game compilations from generations prior and online marketplaces making playing those old games a bit more direct (and profitable). I've also heard good things about Rush and Generations.

But YO. Mania! Go buy it. Other than a few obtuse boss fights and wishing their were more all-new levels as opposed to the remixed ones, this is some damn fine run-and-jump gaming.

Got Sonic Mania and looking forward to playing it BUT NEVER MIND THAT SHIT... NIGHT TRAP IS OUT!

Dino Frontier for PSVR looks neat. And Rutger Hauer is in some blatant Blade Runner video game rip off called Observer. Hmmm...

If you told me of 15 years ago that I'd be playing same looking Fire Pro, Night Trap, and a bare-bones Friday the 13th game in 2017 I'd call you a liar (among other things). Video games are weird.

Night Trap is a lot easier with the icons actually being live video of each room, but I'm still dying around 16 minutes lately.

Once you know the code change times you freak out a bit less about missing the code changes.  I love that you unlock a video gallery so you can actually see everything-.if you're actually playing to win, you don't get to see most of the story.

Nidhogg 2 is really fun as well.  The different weapons and terrain add so much to the game, to where playing arcade mode over and over is pretty fun.  I feel like the leaderboard is doable if I practice but that first place score is insane.

So i'm enjoying Nioh. It's not on the level of the Dark Souls games or Bloodborne overall but it's still a great attempt at a 'Souls' style game from a different developer. It feels a lot more actiony than DS/BB. It has missions rather than one big open world so there isn't as much exploring to be done but it also feels like you are making progress faster by clearing areas and side missions. I don't wont to use the term easy with these games, because at any moment you could get stuck on a boss for hours, but the slower combat makes encounters lot more manageable. In fact the hardest part so far was the 3rd boss, who was a lot faster than anything else in the game. It's more loot based too, you get a nice lootsplosion for killing a boss and there are countless ways to customise your load out and stats. Too many maybe, it's all very confusing at first deciding what i should be levelling and learning. Overall though, good so far, i'll be sticking with it.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, RIPPA said:

I went into 5 Below today to get my son another pair of earphones he will break in a week.

They must have had 200 copies of Battleborn

Somewhere Fresh sheds a tear

I forget exactly if it went to F2P or the level cap for the demo got pushed very high, but basically it's free now on PSN.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, Tromatagon said:

Night Trap is a lot easier with the icons actually being live video of each room, but I'm still dying around 16 minutes lately.

Once you know the code change times you freak out a bit less about missing the code changes.  I love that you unlock a video gallery so you can actually see everything-.if you're actually playing to win, you don't get to see most of the story.

I hope they bring out some of the other Digital Pictures FMV games.  Would love to have Supreme Warrior again, as that was one of the last things filmed in the Shaw Brothers "Shaw Town" backlot.

Also a filter so you would have the OG terrible quality Sega CD FMV would be fun too.

I checked out all the Redbox spots in my neighborhood, but didn't find Agents of Mayhem (which sucks, because I want badly to play it but really don't want to spend $48 to buy it).  So I finally started Gat Out of Hell, which I've owned for ages but never even downloaded.  So far, it feels like more of the same from SR4.  Which is a good way to kill 2 hours at a time but not in any way exciting.  The lack of costume shops hurts it.

My journey through Japan and Nioh continues. I've cleared 7 levels, 8 bosses and maybe 10 side missions so far. Looking at the stats screen i'm about 1/3 of the way through. I'm back at work on Monday though so my progress will slow down to a crawl, and then take a massive hit in a few weeks when Destiny 2 comes out.

I'm not sure if i'm just under levelled in terms of health and gear but an awful lot of shit one shots me at the moment. Whether it's a random enemy in the level or a bosses attack.

I need to learn how to block. I play the game like it's Bloodborne and dodge everything. Which worked fine up until today. I've come up against enemies with combinations so long i just cant dodge through them all and i get hit. I'm guessing that is the games way of reminding me there is a block button.

Weirdly 2 of the side mission mini bosses have given me far more trouble than any of the main game bosses so far. 

Got through the first two zones of Sonic Mania on my friend's PS4.

Oh my God. This is the best distilled Sonic experience in years, if not ever. Familiar zones, enough new content to not just be a "Sonic's Greatest Hits" game like Generations was, and some of the most clever callbacks to Sega's lore I have ever seen (keep your eyes peeled for the Spinball reference in the beginning of the second zone).

But yeah; once I get the game I can see myself cursing Christian Whitehead's very name every time I fail the Special Stage.

I dumped almost 15 hours into Slime Rancher this weekend. I was certainly not expecting that. Game is peaceful, relaxing, and utterly charming.

My ranch is a nonsensically laid out mess right now. Pretty much going to trash everything and start over with a bit more efficiency and logic. I certainly have enough cash rolling in to do so!

• Like 1

Second trio of Injustice 2 DLC chars was formally announced.  Raiden and Black Manta have been obvious since they updated the select screen to include outlines of the unreleased chars.  The third is Hellboy, which is awesome but means that the pack is 2/3 outsiders and we have to wait probably til 2018 for the Atom (as such, I would have moved either Hellboy or Raiden to Pack 3)