DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

15 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Final Fantasy XII is essentially Star Wars Episode IV. Since Square Enix is good with Disney right now, they should announce a Final Fantasy XII-2 and XII-3 and have it 'copy and paste' Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi storylines.

They're called Final Fantasy: Tactics and Vagrant Story. ;-)

They did do a DS exclusive, Revenant Wings, that took place a year later, but it was still centered on Vaan and thus I ignored it. :-p

12 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

They did do a DS exclusive, Revenant Wings, that took place a year later, but it was still centered on Vaan and thus I ignored it. :-p

It's ok but pretty shallow gameplay wise.

14 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

True, but I mean a full-on copy and paste. Have Ashe tell Balthier she loves him and he says "I know" before he's frozen in a crystal by the bounty hunter Ba'Gamnan. Have Vaan lose his hand and become even more annoying. Give Lucasfilm full-on writing credits for the story and everything. ;) 

Bought a used XBox One over the weekend and have been setting it up today.

Now the thought of rebuying, and REPLAYING, all the games I had on last gen is giving me anxiety.

Since I used to be a Sony Fanboi, this is my first Microsoft console and I am digging the bells and whistles.

Will probably pick up GTA V sometime this week and start over my Career Of Evil. 

11 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Bought a used XBox One over the weekend and have been setting it up today.

Now the thought of rebuying, and REPLAYING, all the games I had on last gen is giving me anxiety.

Just give into it.  I think pretty much all of us here dropped $100's after buying our Ones on games we had been "finished with" already from last gen. 

Hawkeye will do battle with some Ewoks. He will lose, badly. That will be the bulk of the content. Pizza Dog cameos. Kills and eats all the Ewoks before they can eat Clint. For no reason, Clint Howard voices Pizza Dog barking.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2017 at 8:20 AM, JLSigman said:

I put a few hours into the FF XII upgrade. The FMV are niiiiiiiice and much cleaner than before. You can actually see Vayne's tiny sneer at the end of his scene. The regular play faces are still ridiculously flat looking. The new music is a bit hit and miss to me - sometimes the song is going along like the older version, then IN COMES LOUD TRUMPET FOR A COUPLE BARS then back to before. I haven't tried the Japanese language track yet because I need Gideon Emery's sweet, sweet voice in my ears for a while.

I'm now about 25 hours in, heading to Archadia. The difficulty has been massively lowered, as near as I can tell. During Belias' fight, his Firaja never put oil on the characters, and I'm pretty easily dealing with rank III marks at level 30. If this continues, I might actually get some of those level VII+ clan hunts done.

Season 7 starts tomorrow, for the two PC Diablo III players here. ;-) Standard stuff, nothing crazy new. Will likely be 95% Necromancers. ;-)

47 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I'm now about 25 hours in, heading to Archadia. The difficulty has been massively lowered, as near as I can tell. During Belias' fight, his Firaja never put oil on the characters, and I'm pretty easily dealing with rank III marks at level 30. If this continues, I might actually get some of those level VII+ clan hunts done.

Season 7 starts tomorrow, for the two PC Diablo III players here. ;-) Standard stuff, nothing crazy new. Will likely be 95% Necromancers. ;-)

That's a little disheartening that they lowered the difficulty somewhat. Makes me think maybe I should finish my copy of the original (really restart since I lost my save) before getting the remaster.

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

That's a little disheartening that they lowered the difficulty somewhat. Makes me think maybe I should finish my copy of the original (really restart since I lost my save) before getting the remaster.

I'd actually just skip the original and play the remaster.  There are so many QoL improvements in the remaster (especially being able to increase the game speed) that it makes the remaster much less of a grind to play.  Plus the job system helps to make everyone less generic when it comes to fighting.

• Like 2

Playing Lode Runner Legacy, it's pretty obvious right away the difference between Doug Smith's design philosophy and Tozai's. The Classic levels are absolutely jam packed with tiny puzzles from about stage 2, and require total situation awareness as the Monks swarm in. Meanwhile, Adventure Mode doesn't have a single baddie til about level 6, and each stage feels like it's built on a single aha moment.  I definitely prefer the Classic stages, but if I didn't have pre-2000 experience with the game I would probably appreciate the slow ramp up even if I didn't care for the "one weird trick" design.

12 hours ago, dogwelder said:

I'd actually just skip the original and play the remaster.  There are so many QoL improvements in the remaster (especially being able to increase the game speed) that it makes the remaster much less of a grind to play.  Plus the job system helps to make everyone less generic when it comes to fighting.

Agreed, while I'm surprised at how much easier it feels than I remember (my last play was probably several years ago at this rate), a lot of other stuff is much better. You're still broke 99% of the time. ;-) And if you're feeling the need for challenges, the Trials mode will kill you and laugh at you.

I've been playing Kingdoms & Castles this week.  It's a pretty lightweight medieval city builder with a nice low-poly art style.  It plays like a less-punishing Banished, but you can get attacked by Vikings and Dragons and shit.  

So I got Democracy 3 in a Humble Bundle, and decided to give it a whirl. I am the Prime Minister of Canada, and got assassinated by capitalists after winning re-election the first time I played, and then the next two attempts, I was assassinated before the first election happened.

Has anyone else played this game? Any helpful hints?

Edited by Dewar
Had the game name wrong. :)
  • Like 1

I always get assassinated by an economically conservative backed sniper. Fuck that game. I've legit played it at least 5 times and every time it ends the same god damn way.

Honestly the thing about MGS5 Phantom Pain is that it has changed so drastically since launch- Konami kind of treats it like a Big Console Mobile Game that needs an online connection to access the higher tier equipment- that I don't know that anyone here has been playing enough of it recently enough to even know what it is. It's different than the game I played when it came out. Now, if you don't do online anything, you might be set, but it might get overly challenging in the back half due to the fact that they tie the maximum amount of crafting materials you can have to your online raidable side base.

MGS5 is as mechanically weird as the other MGS games are storyline weird.

Beat Skyblazer on super nintendo. There's a part in the underwater level where you can get infinite 1ups and my ass definitely needed 'em for that last boss. He's got this laser thing that is real finicky to jump over and kills you in two hits. Played on emulator on my Vita.

I was playing that Trails in the Sky game then realized I fucking hated it. I'm at the part where there's a big martial arts tournament in the final chapter and I gotta go find this big bear guy in the woods and I just don't give a fucking shit. Super slow combat that is 99% simple. Then they toss in this fucking penguin boss that has an assload of health and can heal like 800 hp indefinitely. It doesn't do anything else but it took me like 40 minutes to gradually chip this thing down even though it wasn't doing anything offensively to the party. Oh, then there was the part where they spent 12 hours on this boring ass orphanage "mystery". There's like 7 times where someone will do that thing where they say "hmm... no, never mind.... it's nothing important.". Y'know, that anime bullshit where people don't communicate shit to each other like humans. Not to mention all this silly "he's not blood related" horseshit. Then there was the part in the first town where I didn't understand that bracer jobs would just expire if you didn't just haul ass to them immediately.

I played Fire Pro world like 3 times. It's exactly what I want but I've got no impetus to play it. I don't have that thing where I want to make Vigo the Carpathian for the 8th time. The workshop stuff intimidates me too because even if I did make a good Tony Halme, I never want to fuck with doing the CPU logic shit and so it would be one of those incomplete wrestlers. Kinda wish the camera was a little more zoomed out as well.

Beat Wolfenstein Old Blood. Still don't like how the overcharged health just dissipates. Makes exploring less enjoyable. Big robot section kinda sucked 'cause there was no way to swat zombies off once they jumped on. Last boss was lame too. That was some PS2 style stationary shit right thar.

Beat Blaster Master zero on switch. I never really understood why you wouldn't just always be using that #8 wave laser. The power up system mystified me. If I understand it correctly. You get pickups and it fills the meter but the guns themselves have unlimited ammo so there's never any reason not to nuke bosses with the best gun. The strafe button and diagonal aiming kills shit lickety split. Took me a while to figure out how to look at the map. Really just should've been a button because you never need the subscreen menu to switch weapons. Or they could've had one of those deals where if you hold start it goes to the map but tapping goes to the menu. Also needed a way to look at other areas maps. Last area was super ass easy on top of the rest of the game being super ass easy.

Beat Cave Story on switch. Then looked up how to get the good ending and it's a bunch of bullshit. Also, didn't really appreciate all those instant death spikes.

Played a shit load of that End is Nigh game. Movement is more deliberate than meatboy with more Mario 3 type shit where you bounce on enemies. I don't like how down is the tetris butt stomp button and you'll accidentally hit it sometimes. Shoulder trigger is good enough for that shit. Got to the dark world equivalent and didn't notice my tumors were depleting until anguish 10. Then I ran out on anguish 19. Then I tried the next day and just couldn't rebeat anguish 10.

got a ps4 pro and am playing that Horizon game finally. S'okay. I'll like it more when I get the upgrade that let's me recover all the tripwire traps that the goddamned dinosaur robots nimbly avoid. Little bastards. Is the main lady crosseyed? Looks kinda weird. Mustaches look weird too. Every time people talk it seems like they're on the verge of weeping.

crossed 100 hours in fire pro world today

The only other game I've been playing is Dragon Quest 9 and I think I'm about to call that a wrap for a while. See, like, it's a game where people's last wishes are getting some real raw Monkey Paw treatment and so you have to go around undoing that and putting the spirits of the wishers to rest. That's a good enough concept, but after the year I just had (recap: five family deaths, oldest friend sexually assaulted and nearly kidnapped, young cousin disfigured), maybe a game where the end of every single chapter is "CHOOSE DEATH" is not the most fun thing to me right now.

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I always get assassinated by an economically conservative backed sniper. Fuck that game. I've legit played it at least 5 times and every time it ends the same god damn way.

At least I got killed by a religious nutcase once. :)