DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

I am playing The TellTale Batman series (I am through 3 episodes) and I am really enjoying it however it really does seem like it is the most... technically unpolished of the TellTale games I have played (if that is the right way to describe it)

There are scenes where it acts like you made one decision when you totally made the other decision and the game locks up at the end of every episode. Like the credits roll and you have no way of getting out unless you quit out of them game (and that is even after letting the credits completely play)

It is really weird

15 hours ago, Shane said:

For those interested in the speedrun scene, Summer Games Done Quick kicked off today and runs through next Sunday. 

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

I like watching this stuff way more than I ever thought I would. Even games I've never played and have no real interest in. 

If you ever wanted to see evidence that you're playing a game wrong, watch Ben's FFVII Speed run.  

19 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The new Futurama mobile game is now live.

It's pretty much Simpsons: Tapped out with the serial number filed off...which I guess makes sense.

I'm running through Diablo 3 with the Necromancer and he's extremely fun.  It turns out exploding a bunch of corpses never gets old.

• Like 2

Finished off Uncharted 3 a few days ago and my buddy let me borrow his copy of Uncharted 4 I'll try to make progress over the next two days before I have to go back to work.

I picked up Street Fighter 5 and uh, I'm a bit rusty,

I always wait for the games done quick to upload to Youtube so you can cut out the extracurricular stuff I don't really care for. It can be a lot of fun seeing people tear apart games you know pretty well.

Looks like a fun schedule this year. Quite a few games I will be checking out for sure.

Just passed year two in Stardew Valley (and on something absurd like 105 hours).  Actually teared up a bit at the Grandpa stuff.

I'm one item away from finishing the Community Center (because I stupidly waited forever to plant a pomegranate tree and had to throw one into the greenhouse to not have to wait yet another year) and I suppose I should move on and actually marry one of my 5 girlfriends or boyfriends one of these days.  

• Like 2

Fired up Tomb Raider Anniversary, which is Tomb Raider 1 redone in the Legends engine. Was a cheap pickup on the Steam summer sale. I was worried it might be shit on a keyboard mouse setup (I should really stop being a cheap ass and just buy a 360 controller for my laptop), but through the first stage no difficulties so that's a relief. I don't see any re-binding keys options, so it's a good thing the default layout makes sense.

Also, no windowed mode, and that doesn't make sense for any game made post-Windows 98 and never will.

Still, seems cool.

I also finished Bastion over the last few days in about 5 and a half hours. It's good. It's not "96% positive reviews on Steam" good, but it's good. It's like Arthouse Torchlight/Diablo. Neat art style. Nothing terribly new about any of the combat. Okay story.

The Tomorrow Children (who?) will shut down on November 1 after less than a year being out. The game came from Q Games (people behind the PixelJunk series) and got turned into a F2P game later. There's 11 trophies (no Platinum), but not sure how doable it is to 100% in 4 months, especially since in-game currency will stop being usable on September 28. http://gematsu.com/2017/07/tomorrow-children-end-service-japan-november-1

41 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I hope he found a woman who enjoys NBA Jam themed pillow talk.  Seriously, I need him to be saying, "The bigger the love the bigger the shove," in his personal life.

• Like 3

This will probably be the last time I mention other games until the end of my incoming two month long Fire Pro fugue state.

PICTOPIX [4] - is big screen picross, so, yes.

DRAGON QUEST IX [4*] - *all of the following opinions come from playing the game for maybe four hours.

I know this game has a pretty bad rap, but it's made up for a lot by letting me make a character so I can break up the streak of totally alabaster, predominantly male characters. Variety is the spice of life, and such. It's fun so far. I like the central conceit, I like that they use old sprite styles to render some characters, even if it's not entirely clear why some characters get sprites and some get models (at first I thought it was because sprites were for elders and ghosts and I LOVED THAT IDEA SO MUCH, but it has slowly become less like that and that's a drag). I'm going to try to rush through this game before Miitopia is out later this month.

MARVEL HEROES OMEGA [3] - i mean it was free to play so I don't regret playing it, but I'm never going to look at it again. Totally Fine Diablo Analog for people that want a console Diablo game to be more like Diablo than Diablo ended up being.

NIDHOGG [4] - Now that I finally have people to play this with, this game fucking completely rules and I love it. It is a 2D fencing game that has as much in common with Bushido Blade as it does Rugby. The goal is to get to your endzone, and there is only one defender, and he has a sword, and you have a sword. Nothing is as beautiful as crushing someone in Nidhogg. Nothing is as agonizing as getting to your endzone, getting stopped, then watching them run it all the way back in Nidhogg.

I tried a bit of Divine Divinity, which I bought at some point last year. It suffers from Nearly Naked Lady syndrome (the dudes wear more armor on their default sprite by far), and I had no idea what I was doing, and the voice acting is... not great. But so far it's pretty easy to figure out on, so I'm clicking my way through a dungeon.

On 7/8/2017 at 2:41 PM, supremebve said:

I hope he found a woman who enjoys NBA Jam themed pillow talk.  Seriously, I need him to be saying, "The bigger the love the bigger the shove," in his personal life.

Better yet; I hope he found someone who appriciated his work on the World Cup Soccer pinball table. Y'know, the one with the cartoon dog.

Been falling into and out of Injustice 2; the random rolled loot REALLY hurt my enthusiasm once I'd finished Story Mode; it has the exact opposite effect on me here as opposed to Diablo clones.  That said, we now know all but maybe 2 of the forthcoming DLC characters (the select screen confirms via silhouette Black Manta, the Atom and MK Raiden, and Red Tornado has popped up as an assist char in Multiverse ladders) and I'm pretty excited to see how shrinking works in a fighter.

So for those of you playing the Final Fantasy XV mobile app dealie - how long would you say it takes to get to Level 10?

I am playing another game that gives you in game currency if you play XV and upgrade to Level 10

Just wondering if it is something that can be done relatively easily or not

Lode Runner Legacy has dropped on Steam.  20% off for a week, so $16 right now.  I've only played the "Classic" mode so far and it's fantastic.  Exactly what you'd hope for - big, blocky graphics that perfectly update the original while maintaining the same feel.  Animation is correctly sparse, too - the guy doesn't so much "climb" up each ladder as the sprite just moves vertically.  Controls are tight, too.  

Oh, I lied - I did play one user-generated level.  It's the "new" kind.  Has a neat feature in that the bad guys are actually embedded in the floor so they get revealed when you drill to try and advance.  Cool.

So, yeah, this is pretty darn great.  And I'll enjoy my #4 in the world ranking for level 1 for the 5 seconds it lasts, thank you very much.

• Like 2

So, after an hour with LRL:

This is pretty much  what I w anted and expected from it. I'm so out of practice with the Lode Runner AI way of thinking, though, that while I can largely run Classic stages from memory I'm floundering with even simple stuff in Adventure and Puzzle modes.

• Like 1

Also double xp for Diablo III this weekend, which is weird considering it's not Season 7 yet.

I put a few hours into the FF XII upgrade. The FMV are niiiiiiiice and much cleaner than before. You can actually see Vayne's tiny sneer at the end of his scene. The regular play faces are still ridiculously flat looking. The new music is a bit hit and miss to me - sometimes the song is going along like the older version, then IN COMES LOUD TRUMPET FOR A COUPLE BARS then back to before. I haven't tried the Japanese language track yet because I need Gideon Emery's sweet, sweet voice in my ears for a while.

9 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Also double xp for Diablo III this weekend, which is weird considering it's not Season 7 yet.

I put a few hours into the FF XII upgrade. The FMV are niiiiiiiice and much cleaner than before. You can actually see Vayne's tiny sneer at the end of his scene. The regular play faces are still ridiculously flat looking. The new music is a bit hit and miss to me - sometimes the song is going along like the older version, then IN COMES LOUD TRUMPET FOR A COUPLE BARS then back to before. I haven't tried the Japanese language track yet because I need Gideon Emery's sweet, sweet voice in my ears for a while.

Final Fantasy XII is essentially Star Wars Episode IV. Since Square Enix is good with Disney right now, they should announce a Final Fantasy XII-2 and XII-3 and have it 'copy and paste' Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi storylines.

• Like 2