DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

20 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Just the smug satisfaction of being a trolling prick (see below). I love this game though. What a blast! And that retro Jason is great too. 

This is more fun than it should be, I'm quite sure I'd be annoyed being on the wrong side of this, though. ;)

18 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

With Sega releasing games for free and me being a sucker and downloading them, I've decided it's impossible to play Sonic the Hedgehog without a controller

I remember beating Sonic the Hedgehog on a flip phone, while sitting in the garden booth at Home Depot when I worked there.  It is possible, but I do remember it being very difficult.  I also had the best Tetris session of my life before having to pause the game to help a punk ass customer.  

• Like 1

Skiving-work stories are the best. I once had a very loud quickie with a co-worker in the warehouse at the lame home-retail store we worked at... I daresay it was nowhere near as good as the best Tetris session of your life though

7 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Skiving-work stories are the best. I once had a very loud quickie with a co-worker in the warehouse at the lame home-retail store we worked at... I daresay it was nowhere near as good as the best Tetris session of your life though

That reminds me of the girl who worked at the self-storage place.  When you work at a boring ass place that doesn't require you to interact with many people, and has areas that provide a little bit of privacy, the possibilities are endless.  Let's just say, it was much more fun than Tetris.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReiseReise said:

This is more fun than it should be, I'm quite sure I'd be annoyed being on the wrong side of this, though. ;)

This fucking same thing happened to me. 2 guys in the 4 seater and the driver stopped until I got close, then would go another 20 yards, rinse and repeat. Finally let me in, drove like a shit head, crashed the car into the side of the road, Jason pulls me out twice. I somehow had two pocket knives and he still wouldn't let me in. Eventually he ran me over and they escaped. I laughed but I was a bit pissed off.

I'm trying to make a point of streaming anything I play on PC or PS4.  I have no delusions that I'm going to get internet famous or ever see a dime of royalties or anything, but why the fuck not?  I'm at twitch.tv/zqadams and am curious as to whether anyone else has super-casual streams like that so that I can follow them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

This fucking same thing happened to me. 2 guys in the 4 seater and the driver stopped until I got close, then would go another 20 yards, rinse and repeat. Finally let me in, drove like a shit head, crashed the car into the side of the road, Jason pulls me out twice. I somehow had two pocket knives and he still wouldn't let me in. Eventually he ran me over and they escaped. I laughed but I was a bit pissed off.

Car stories: The physics of the game got me when I ran towards a car. The player in the car stopped for me, but lag/connection issues made it so that the vehicle LOOKED stationary but was indeed moving at the slowest of paces. My character got RAGDOLLED and the other player got hit with the betrayal deduction. I felt somewhat sorry for the both of us, but couldn't stop laughing.

Double Exp-Points weekend is going on right now. Had a few fun sessions so far, including my first 7/7 round as Jason. Luck was on my side since the counselors got the four-seater, but had to take a ridiculously long route. 

Also tried Dead by Daylight. Has quite a different dynamic so far for me. Calm approach works though and I got a little better in the second round. Right now I prefer Friday the 13th, but I had way more time with that game. So I will wait and see for my final verdict.

15 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I'm trying to make a point of streaming anything I play on PC or PS4.  I have no delusions that I'm going to get internet famous or ever see a dime of royalties or anything, but why the fuck not?  I'm at twitch.tv/zqadams and am curious as to whether anyone else has super-casual streams like that so that I can follow them.

Threw you a follow, since I've taken to watching a bunch of stuff.

And that I need to get myself basically set up so I can join Zelda LttP Rando races.

13 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Car stories: The physics of the game got me when I ran towards a car. The player in the car stopped for me, but lag/connection issues made it so that the vehicle LOOKED stationary but was indeed moving at the slowest of paces. My character got RAGDOLLED and the other player got hit with the betrayal deduction. I felt somewhat sorry for the both of us, but couldn't stop laughing.

Double Exp-Points weekend is going on right now. Had a few fun sessions so far, including my first 7/7 round as Jason. Luck was on my side since the counselors got the four-seater, but had to take a ridiculously long route. 

Also tried Dead by Daylight. Has quite a different dynamic so far for me. Calm approach works though and I got a little better in the second round. Right now I prefer Friday the 13th, but I had way more time with that game. So I will wait and see for my final verdict.

With the 13,000 CP they gave us I mostly got trash perks but I've filled out all 30 slots. I wish they gave us 40 slots for the 40 perks. Thankfully there are a number of useless perks like anything to do with swimming (unless you need to get to the island with Jason's shack, there really is no point) and the tent perk.

Let me know how you find Dead by Daylight as you play it more, please. It looks slightly different but a more polished game than F13. I can understand why F13 has such mediocre to bad reviews. It is really unpolished, which is pretty well to be expected from such a small team. Add to that the server issues of the first few weeks and it was a bit of a mess. However, I love the game's core concept and playability, warts and all. I don't think I've had this much fun playing a multiplayer game in years. 

From watching streams Dead by Daylight  seems deep into needing to be tweaked again because killers just camp things to compensate for survivors having too many perks. 

It seemed fun last summer but I watched some and it was dreary now. 

Got my 82nd Platinum trophy with Drawn To Death. Whatever you do, don't play this. The multiplayer is completely dead, the matchmaking is broken, party matchmaking is broken, some of the character missions are glitched, and I think it's a matter of time before Sony shuts it down.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got my 82nd Platinum trophy with Drawn To Death. Whatever you do, don't play this. The multiplayer is completely dead, the matchmaking is broken, party matchmaking is broken, some of the character missions are glitched, and I think it's a matter of time before Sony shuts it down.

i think that the market as a whole has already decided that whatever we do, we will not play that.

2 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Holy shit a Friday community here! Anyone on Xbox?

I'm level 32 and I love the game.

PS4 unfortunately. Only level 23. I'm finding the servers have been mostly shit since double XP weekend started. 

Level 24, but also PS4. I had some histerical rounds yesterday while playing with a friend, no real server issues for me. So far Dead by Daylight has really taking a backseat for me. I honestly think Friday does a better job and has a better atmosphere. I'll try to write a little bit once I get around to play more.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 8:31 AM, supremebve said:

I remember beating Sonic the Hedgehog on a flip phone, while sitting in the garden booth at Home Depot when I worked there.  It is possible, but I do remember it being very difficult.  I also had the best Tetris session of my life before having to pause the game to help a punk ass customer.  

Jobs are great if it weren't for the fuckin' customers to paraphrase a mediocre-at-best actor in a mildly badly aged early 90's film.

So Horizon: Zero Dawn is insanely good. I've hardly touched the main story and I've already sunk over 16 hours into it just running around hunting dinos. The combat took some getting used it. Its not Dark Souls hard but there's a decent amount of tactics needed to it to stop you from just rushing in and swinging away (which i still like to do anyway). Unless i'm missing something simple there's no way to lock on to an enemy? Aloys voice is a little distracting, giving me flash backs to Life is Strange. Oh, and the game looks freaking amazing even on a regular PS4 without any sort of 4K or Pro.

• Like 2

I started Horizon about three weeks ago. I've done every side quest I have found and most of the mini-goal things like the Bandit Camps, but am only halfway through the main quest. Like with Fallout 3, I have found the side stuff more fun than the main stuff, although now that I am level 41 I really should get back to the point of the game. At first I struggled pretty good so defeating the last two Corrupted Zones made me proud of myself for improving dramatically, definitely took some getting used to.

• Like 1

Is anyone else looking forward to Friday the 13: The Game: The Movie?

I'm only half kidding since there is now a generation of people who are mainly going to know the series based on iconic moments from the game (car smashing, slow door hacking, booty shorts, "calling Tomy Jarvis", Part VI Tommy Jarvis being weak as fuck).

• Like 1

I have still yet to be in on a Jason kill. I'm starting to friend players who use mics and aren't assholes so hopefully it's something I can see soon enough. 

There are way too many people who don't use a mic. Kind of defeats the purpose of the game. 

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I started Horizon about three weeks ago. I've done every side quest I have found and most of the mini-goal things like the Bandit Camps, but am only halfway through the main quest. Like with Fallout 3, I have found the side stuff more fun than the main stuff, although now that I am level 41 I really should get back to the point of the game. At first I struggled pretty good so defeating the last two Corrupted Zones made me proud of myself for improving dramatically, definitely took some getting used to.

Pretty much the same situation. I started about 2 weeks ago, i'm level 24 and i think I've cleared out more bandit camps than i have main missions. The gameplay is very satisfying. I like that everything has it's own weak spot (or several) and that they vary in what each component is weak against. Despite being over levelled for the area i am in it never feels like i'm over powered and if i screw up i pay for it. It's a nice mix of Assassins Creed, Far Cry and the Arkham games.

1 hour ago, Basara said:

So Horizon: Zero Dawn is insanely good. I've hardly touched the main story and I've already sunk over 16 hours into it just running around hunting dinos. The combat took some getting used it. Its not Dark Souls hard but there's a decent amount of tactics needed to it to stop you from just rushing in and swinging away (which i still like to do anyway). Unless i'm missing something simple there's no way to lock on to an enemy? Aloys voice is a little distracting, giving me flash backs to Life is Strange. Oh, and the game looks freaking amazing even on a regular PS4 without any sort of 4K or Pro.

I've been playing a couple of weeks, and I honestly think it is the best game of the generation so far.  

• Like 1