DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

I'm so bad at Overwatch that it's legit depressing.  I played the free weekends almost entirely in bot matches, and despite my visual impairment did well enough.  Hell, if I played Reinhardt I got Play of the Game about one round in 3.  So I bought it in the anniversary sale and figured I ought to play in actual PVP matches and...I'm the weakest link, every time.  It's not quite as painful as being lapped by 3 other humans in Mario Kart, but it still feels like the "fuck you, why even bother?" kind of bad at multiplayer rather than something like a Netherrealm game where I can lose 5 matches straight and feel like I've accomplished something.

When my wife's using the TV, I need something to play on Switch. Since there is only so much mediocre side-questing that I can take in BotW, I got Lego City Undercover on sale this week. 

It's pretty much baby's first open-world game, and the humor, which is supposed to be cringe-worthy, actually goes so far over the top that mostly I just cringe and pound buttons wishing that I could move the cutscenes along. 

The most interesting thing about it is actually the exploration because as you unlock costumes, you can access areas and abilities that you couldn't access before. Doing enough to get more costumes and then going back over the map to find puzzles is a pleasant way to consume time. I still probably paid too much for it, but hey, early post-launch console months, man.  

Those of you who have played any of the Call of Duty games, I have a question for you: is the "Zombies" mode an actual storyline or is it just a generic map? I'm looking for some new shooters with split screen co-op that my girlfriend and I can play together since we can both play through Borderlands with our eyes closed at this point. Xbox One only (or if there are any good ones for the 360 please let me know). She's not big on the "real war" type of shooters so stuff like Borderlands would be more up her alley. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

IO Interactive has announced that they are able to go independent and that they will still hold the rights to Hitman

There was a rumor that Season 2 is still happening. I wonder if Square will at least still publish and distribute that for them.

I bought Marvel Ultimate Alliance out of nostalgia, and it actually holds up pretty well and the remaster looks nice.  Wish they had included all the platform-specific characters, but they got the Hulk in at least so I'm satisfied.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

There was a rumor that Season 2 is still happening. I wonder if Square will at least still publish and distribute that for them.

They said they will be making an announcement on future plans next week so I assume that is Season 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I bought Marvel Ultimate Alliance out of nostalgia, and it actually holds up pretty well and the remaster looks nice.  Wish they had included all the platform-specific characters, but they got the Hulk in at least so I'm satisfied.

Pretty sure the only missing characters are the PSP Three (Genis-Vell, Echo/Ronin and Black Widow). Probably since no character modeling was ever done for them at PS2 levels of detail, let alone HD. But it has Moon Knight, Colossus, and the 360-exclusive DLC chars which apparently is more than 2 got.

My descent into Watch_Dogs has officially begun. I'm not terribly concerned with getting 100%, though, so I don't know that beating the drinking games, for instance, will stress me out too much. Aiden is an asshole and I'm *really* not feeling the driving physics, but it's been fun so far.

I'm also playing more Solitairica than I figured I would when I bought it. Takes a pretty basic Tripeaks solitaire game and wraps it in RPG mechanics. I've unlocked all of the different deck classes, but haven't managed to beat the game with any of them yet. I think level 14 of 18 is where I've been stalling out. 

• Like 1

I picked up the Odin Sphere PS4 update and it is so, so gorgeous. My arthritic hands can't take more than a couple hours at a time, but it's worth the pain. My only small complaint is that I don't see a way yet to use Hitoshi Sakimoto's original soundtrack instead of the updated tracks.

21 hours ago, Shane said:

My descent into Watch_Dogs has officially begun. I'm not terribly concerned with getting 100%, though, so I don't know that beating the drinking games, for instance, will stress me out too much. Aiden is an asshole and I'm *really* not feeling the driving physics, but it's been fun so far.

I'm also playing more Solitairica than I figured I would when I bought it. Takes a pretty basic Tripeaks solitaire game and wraps it in RPG mechanics. I've unlocked all of the different deck classes, but haven't managed to beat the game with any of them yet. I think level 14 of 18 is where I've been stalling out. 

If you're not a crazy person like me or J.T., then no the drinking games will not be stressful. They aren't required for unlocking areas.

I actually liked Aiden -- you keep waiting for him to reach a breaking point and just full-on Life Is Strange Chloe cry in a cutscene, but it never happens. He seems like a guy that never really stood out in school and kept to himself a lot. I kinda like a protagonist in games that isn't trying to be. The driving is manageable although it's not quite GTA IV level of precision and handling though or as fun as Sleeping Dogs' driving.

So I finished Nier: Automata, for real this time. 

Spoiler

It's an interesting way to structure the game. The second playthrough was probably 80% the same as the first but the 3rd playthrough was like a sequel to the game. I was a little disappointed at first after I 'finished' it in about 15 hours. But by the time I'd done all 3 routes I'd dropped 35 in there and another 5 or so mopping up quests and doing some of the joke endings.

It's a damn good game. The combat is a little button mashy for my liking, it doesn't ever feel like you're really in danger once you've kitted yourself out properly, but it's still fun. The story is where the game really shines.

I toyed with the idea of platinuming it since I was about 70% done by the end. I'm not a trophy hunter but it didn't look too bad. Turns out upgrading all the weapons is one hell of a grind. And that's needed to unlock 3 of the 5 trophies I'm currently missing. After burning through most of my sellable items I still need about 500,000 to buy the rest of the materials needed to upgrade. Or grind drops for hours. So not an impossible task but too much effort for now when I've got other things here to play. I'm definitely tempted to revisit it when I've got nothing to play to get that shiny trophy. 

On to Horizon: Zero Dawn!

I got three Ps and they all look expensive.

PIC-A-PIX [2] - 3DS Picross-like. The gag is the puzzles are multi colored. The other gag is that the puzzles aren't great and the music is torturous. But, I so badly needed Picross that I sunk to this. Woe. Woe.

I WENT BACK TO POCKET CARD JOCKEY AND IT'S PROBABLY THE BEST 3DS GAME [4] - there's a demo, try it, the game is genuinely funny while being the most thunderous-feeling solitaire race horse management game you'll ever see in your whole life.

PREY [4] - What if Bioshock was good? A question that critics and academics have long pondered over, that has tormented the minds of our very finest. Bioshock was a revelation in the days before action games had Too Many Words. It was, of it's day, the Too Manyest. But for all of its words, it was ultimately reducible to a treatise on wrenches and a half-heard couple of lectures about objectivism that ultimately loaded the first bullet into the gun pointed at the head of the world, the gun we now know as Nerds. If only Bioshock was a game that was actively requiring of thought, and if only the story did not accidentially slam a round into that horrific chamber.

If only no more. Prey is Good Bioshock. It is crunchy sci-fi survival horror FPS RPG with a setting as lush and deep as you wish to see into it. Every encounter holds actual danger. Every unused shotgun shell feels like sudden liberation from a jail sentence. It's the first game I've played in the Bioshock model where I found that the text and audio logs lead to a better understanding of the circumstances around me. Best of all, it at no point in the press run-up started citing a political theorem that fear-poisoned dolts would misunderstand so loudly and brazenly at the world for the proceeding fucking decade. So it's pretty much better than Bioshock in every fathomable way. Don't sleep on this if you have sympathy towards the Looking Glass/Shock archetypes of shooter.

4 hours ago, BL88 said:

PIC-A-PIX [2] - 3DS Picross-like. The gag is the puzzles are multi colored. The other gag is that the puzzles aren't great and the music is torturous. But, I so badly needed Picross that I sunk to this. Woe. Woe.

Have you played Pictopix on Steam yet?  One of the better Picross knock offs with a very active puzzle-creating community.

50 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Darkest Dungeon: The Crimson Court unlocks in 15 minutes.

Endless screaming.

Mex Machina unlocks late tonight as well and I am on edge as this is the game I didn't know I needed til it was announced.

15 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Have you played Pictopix on Steam yet?  One of the better Picross knock offs with a very active puzzle-creating community.

I know that game will eat an entire season of my life once I get it so I'm holding it off for as long as I can. I occasionally stare at it like a hungry dog. Odds are, after I 100% this dang thing, I will reward myself with Pictopix.

• Like 1

I tried the Gwent public beta for a couple hours yesterday. It's pretty good, but feels smaller than the version in Witcher 3. As in, the cards, the board, everything is much smaller in size. It makes creating a deck more difficult, imo, because you're having to constantly switch between views just to see what the damn card does. I'm gonna type up something for the feedback folks and leave it for now.

It's about three (ha!) years late for me here, but I'm obsessed with Threes on Android. I was actually searching for SPL-T, which I played at the Indie Game exhibit at Seattle's MoPOP, when this game came up as I searched. It's sooooo good, man, like so good. When you have two twenty-fours on opposite sides of the board and only a space or two open and you work them around to match up with one another and clear like five spaces for more tiles...so good. 

I just read that someone beat Threes by creating a 12,228 card, which I will never do in my life, but that's fine. I have an impossible dream to shoot for here!

On 7.6.2017 at 0:17 AM, Oyaji said:

Friday the 13th got a new patch on PS4 today that addresses the matchmaking mess. Massive improvements as it only takes 2 minutes tops to connect to a lobby. There's still some lag during the gameplay but nothing gamebreaking from what I've seen. Super fun game now that I actually get to play it. I just wish PS4 players used their mics more often.

Really enjoying that game. Also looking forward to Dead by Daylight on PS4. I prefer to use the headset when playing with a friend in party chat, so I'm probably one of those annoying you.

The amount of people leaving you behind is baffling, though. Are there any hidden achievements for not taking people with you escaping in the four-seater?

• Like 1