DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

Borrowed a copy of FFXV. I've put in maybe 7-8 hours since yesterday. I'm still not sure on this one either way, but I do think it's growing on me. May have to go out and buy it, as the library copy I got at work is only good for a one week loan. Probably fairly cheap at this point as well. 

I put a couple hours into Elder Scrolls: Legends last night. I like it so far! I mean, yeah, it's not breaking ground on the pictures or the basics, but the story is interesting (set just before the main Skyrim story) and the mechanics are solid. When I lost a match, I knew what I had done wrong and could compensate the next time.

Still working through Assassin's Creed: Syndicate.  

• I enjoy playing as Evie far more than playing as Jacob, since her stealth is stronger and to me, that's the whole basis of these games.
  • Not enjoying this nearly as much as I did Black Flag - there just isn't enough variance on things to do.  Black Flag had the ship management minigame, the ship to ship combat, diving for treasure, etc.  This has.. running around London looking for shit.

It's still fun, don't get me wrong - the setting is fantastic - but if I were to recommend a PS4 AC game to someone, it wouldn't be this one.

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

I put a couple hours into Elder Scrolls: Legends last night. I like it so far! I mean, yeah, it's not breaking ground on the pictures or the basics, but the story is interesting (set just before the main Skyrim story) and the mechanics are solid. When I lost a match, I knew what I had done wrong and could compensate the next time.

For a free to play game it's good at not being too stingy. The monthly ranked PVP is ranked based on the 12 Elder Scrolls constellations which is good since it keeps the matchmaking from getting out of hand. As far as I can tell at the end of each monthly cycle if you get to rank 9 you get one of the Card Of The Month, rank 5 you get 2, rank 1 you get 3. You're not going to get anywhere near those top two as a free player that walked in the door but getting to rank 9 is definitely doable. That seems to be kind of the break point for me as a new player that has dumped in no cash where I start running into decks I feel I can't beat. Overall I'd say that's fair enough.

One good thing about online CCG is how relatively rapidly you can build new decks/delete them if they don't work/make a new deck. It's very easy to experiment in the online format.

The game itself is pretty decent. It certainly has similarities to Magic but it seems like a more aggressive, rapid game overall. For a free game, honestly can't really complain.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-4 at 3:02 AM, Shane said:

Borrowed a copy of FFXV. I've put in maybe 7-8 hours since yesterday. I'm still not sure on this one either way, but I do think it's growing on me. May have to go out and buy it, as the library copy I got at work is only good for a one week loan. Probably fairly cheap at this point as well. 

this is an important question.

Do you like side-quests?

• Like 1

Oh, for sure. I'm 1000% a guy who likes games that let me check tasks off of a list. Makes me feel productive when I want to play a game but not progress a storyline.

Like I said earlier, I'm still super early in the game, but what I found surprising is that, so far, I actually really like those four main characters. I think I was, based on prior FF protags, expecting them to be far more insufferable. And maybe they will wear thin later, but so far it's been a shockingly subtle portrayal of male friendship. Wasn't expecting that at all. There are annoyances, like hearing the same bits of idle party chatter repeatedly because I'm not charging through the story, but that's just one of those video game-y things that most of us are used to.

• Like 1

Friday the 13th got a new patch on PS4 today that addresses the matchmaking mess. Massive improvements as it only takes 2 minutes tops to connect to a lobby. There's still some lag during the gameplay but nothing gamebreaking from what I've seen. Super fun game now that I actually get to play it. I just wish PS4 players used their mics more often.

Also been playing a bit of Playerunknown's Battlegrounds and I'm enjoying it. It can be frustrating when you spend ~20 minutes looting and moving towards the final circle only to get merc'd with an instant kill after not seeing anybody up to that point. However, that's more on me for being a little careless and parachuting to more remote locations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Also been playing a bit of Playerunknown's Battlegrounds and I'm enjoying it. It can be frustrating when you spend ~20 minutes looting and moving towards the final circle only to get merc'd with an instant kill after not seeing anybody up to that point. However, that's more on me for being a little careless and parachuting to more remote locations.

I'm chomping at the bit for them to announce PUBG for consoles. Watching the Giant Bomb and Waypoint crews play has me convinced that it's the game to get me back into a multiplayer shooter. I suspect that I'll be terrible, but also that I'll have a blast. 

Best Buy had Horizon on sale Monday for $32 so I picked it up, its being delivered today. So my plan this weekend is to just ignore my enormous backlog (FF XV, GTA, Dishonored, Tekken, Setsuna, etc. etc.) and play the hell out of it. I don't know if I will ever get to GTA :(

• Like 1

Wipeout Omega allows me to finally play 2048 without having to play on  the Vita (for whatever reason, I've always found handheld Wipeout way more difficult to manage than console ones). It's the last 3 Wipeout games upgraded graphically, which is good enough for me. (the absence of custom  music makes Zone Mode not quite the glorious chill-out session it  was on PS3 though)

41 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Wipeout Omega allows me to finally play 2048 without having to play on  the Vita (for whatever reason, I've always found handheld Wipeout way more difficult to manage than console ones). It's the last 3 Wipeout games upgraded graphically, which is good enough for me. (the absence of custom  music makes Zone Mode not quite the glorious chill-out session it  was on PS3 though)

Not only that but there's TWO Beat Zico levels. Oh my poor thumbs.

I almost bought Wipeout Omega Collection myself today. Gotta stay strong.

Have to say, I'm pretty pissed at Elder Scrolls Legends. I bought the Starter Package and the Dark Brotherhood expansion because I've been putting in time and enjoying it and I figured why not, more cards should help. But I'm 99.9999999% that the minute I started spending cash it kicked me into a different matchmaking. So I've gone from not progressing for free to not progressing with some better cards but against insane bullshit in every game.

I dunno, maybe this is par for online CCG's but it feels like a swindle job to me. I can't really spend a ton on gaming.

11 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

You can't use Spotify or the USB player with it?

The PC upgrade will be done this weekend. The Prey run starts in earnest later this week.

TEKKEN 7 [3] - Maximum Tekken. If you are a Tekken Historian, you will have a good time opening up this Tekken and looking at it and thinking about it. There's a gallery thing where you can view every ending from every other Tekken game. It's awe-inspiring.

The actual fighting is still Tekken, and I have never paid particularly close attention to Tekken, so my experiences in learning how to play it have been fascinating. I don't know if I'll stick with it, but I'm getting my money's worth so that's alright with me.

SMALL RADIOS, BIG TELEVISIONS [3] - As touch screen adventure games, it's creepy enough that I'm into it and I will see it through eventually. I'm just gonna take my time, and like unless the steam preview videos REALLY grab you like they grabbed me, you're probably okay.

BRIGADOR UP-ARMORED EDITION [4] okay fine it's just Brigador again but goddamnit Brigador fucking rules play Brigador. They've redone the tutorials with a new eerie layout, and have added just in general redone the campaign I was already pretty fond of. Mechanically it is unchanged; mechanically it is beautiful. It's Mecha Jungle Strike. I don't... I don't know who that wouldn't appeal to.

DRAGON QUEST 2 VIA ANDROID APP [3] - hey guess what it's another early dragon quest. The Job system comes in with the next game so I imagine I will be more engaged then. For now, I'm just doing due diligence so I can keep on my Dragon Quest mission while giving the Fire Pro World team time to put shit out so I can spend a month translating edits between PS2 and PC, finally freeing up my PS2 for something other than Fire Pro.