DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

6 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

You all are really committed to pretending like we haven't had access to ROMs for 20 years because you want a case that sort of but not really is the original, huh?

Searching for Friends sounds kind of neat in 2x speed. 

39 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

You all are really committed to pretending like we haven't had access to ROMs for 20 years because you want a case that sort of but not really is the original, huh?

Some of us like to have legitimate, official re-releases of things either instead of or in addition to Nefarious Means.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Some of us like to have legitimate, official re-releases of things either instead of or in addition to Nefarious Means.

Watch this talk from Frank Cifaldi, historian and part of the team that put together the Mega Man Legacy Collection. I recommend watching the whole thing because it covers a lot of wild shit, but from 13:47-15:30 he proves that Nintendo is just downloading the ROMs off other sites and selling them to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BL88 said:

Watch this talk from Frank Cifaldi, historian and part of the team that put together the Mega Man Legacy Collection. I recommend watching the whole thing because it covers a lot of wild shit, but from 13:47-15:30 he proves that Nintendo is just downloading the ROMs off other sites and selling them to you.

Sure, but in an officially-licensed form factor that I like.

Also, before anybody says anything about it, fuck Raspberry Pi. 

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Sure, but in an officially-licensed form factor that I like.

Also, before anybody says anything about it, fuck Raspberry Pi. 

There's about 30000 other uses for Rasberry Pi other than emulating old consoles.

And frankly, the 30 games they put on an SNES classic I already have legit copies of in some fashion.  Ditto to most of my ROM's.

19 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

There's about 30000 other uses for Rasberry Pi other than emulating old consoles.

And frankly, the 30 games they put on an SNES classic I already have legit copies of in some fashion.  Ditto to most of my ROM's.

RE your first point: Uh, everyone already knows that, so why are you telling me that? It's just that the "get a Raspberry Pi instead" is the go-to response for douchecanoes who feel the need to point out that you could just build your own emulation box and put a bunch of roms from a number of consoles on it every time someone even mentions the NES Classic and scarcity. I don't know if people here have said it, but I was just pre-empting such a response.

Re: Your second point, I also own a SNES and many (most?) of the games that they'd probably license for it. That's not the point of getting an SNES Classic (or a NES classic, of which I own a number of the games in some form already). 

Sorry if that came off as hostile. It reads way more harshly than I meant it to. I'm just endlessly amazed at people going, "But it's just an emulation box with shitty roms on it (that Nintendo didn't even dump themselves), so why do people care?"

Well that's the thing.  I already own an SNES.  I'm not paying Nintendo for a plastic case to hook up to my TV when I can add the scanlines in on an emulator and get the graphics back to where they should be, and hook that up to my TV.

No, I didn't spend the money on a Pi either.  I don't like Emulation Station as a front end, and the backends that RetroPie uses doesn't have the filter settings RetroArch has, so I just use that on my laptop, and HDMI it to my TV when I want to play on a big screen.

5 hours ago, BL88 said:

I've seen it;  I love Frank and have ever since he was with GameTap (and man I miss WB-era GameTap for all its faults). I still like to give original producers money for things I had previously acquired illicitly (hell, I spent $200 on the blu-ray release of the Macross movie just to finally have an honest copy of a movie I'd been pirating for 20 years) and it doesn't bother me maybe as much as it should when they use previously-available ROM dumps rather than re-dumping source code. I don't buy everything on VC, but I like giving money to people when they re-issue stuff that was important to me that I previously haven't been able to acquire in an official release. Maybe that's weird.

Oh sure, I didn't link that to dunk on your desire to own a thing without legal scrutiny. You're describing my approach to how I buy vinyl- "well I've pirated this but it turns out it means a lot to me, so I'm gonna pay up." I just laughed at "Nefarious Means" given what Nintendo's been getting up to, and the seeming moral relativism of their whole position.

also i have a raspberry pi and it's chill. I wish the arcade stuff wasn't such a picky little nightmare but that's just arcade emulation in general. it's not for everyone. people on the internet sure love being sanctimonious.

8 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I get it but at the same time 90% of the people I see interested in the throwback consoles want them as paperweights/conversation pieces at parties and like 10% of them seem to be actual gamers.

I can see that.  Meanwhile, in the 90s I downloaded every game for a pre-PS1 console, and since then I've bought a shit ton of rereleases of arcade, Atari, Sega, Coleco and Intellivision games either on CD-ROM comps, shitty nostalgia mini-consoles or both, and keep waiting for Nintendo to give us options that don't involve paying more per game than I pay for most download modern games (since I usually wait for flash sales on PS4 and Humble Bundles on PC).

As someone that has built Raspberry Pis multiple times for emulation (one is hooked up to my TV right now, waiting for my next attempt at Paperboy) I totally get the NES Classic and SNES Classic or whatnot.  It's easy and you don't have to fuck with anything, and for Joe Average wanting to play some goddamn Mario, that's just fine.  Plug and play, move on.  Had the NES Classic been expandable I would've gotten one too.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

As someone that has built Raspberry Pis multiple times for emulation (one is hooked up to my TV right now, waiting for my next attempt at Paperboy) I totally get the NES Classic and SNES Classic or whatnot.  It's easy and you don't have to fuck with anything, and for Joe Average wanting to play some goddamn Mario, that's just fine.  Plug and play, move on.  Had the NES Classic been expandable I would've gotten one too.

Well, it took like 2 weeks, but the NES Classic is *very* expandable.  I think someone got an entire NES ROM set onto one.  And I know someone actually got a stripped RetroArch into one. 

There's a chance Nintendo closes that ability to expand on the SNES Classic.

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

Well, it took like 2 weeks, but the NES Classic is *very* expandable.  I think someone got an entire NES ROM set onto one.  And I know someone actually got a stripped RetroArch into one. 

There's a chance Nintendo closes that ability to expand on the SNES Classic.

I mean more expandable as in, without having to hack the shit out of it.  If I'm going to be hacking it, I may as well just use the Pi, which is cheaper for me.

I almost wonder if Nintendo won't make a SNES Classic since they seem to be allergic to making money recently. Still, I also wonder if Nintendo didn't like the hackability of the NES Classic and rather than manufacture an updated device, they'll just milk Virtual Console with slow re-releases (I still think their releasing the same games on Wii U VC and charging people that owned them on Wii VC a $1-$2 is BS).

Count me in for those totally addicted to Playerunknown's Battlegrounds.

This game is fucking fantastic.

If you don't know what it is, it's a game on Steam Early Access. It's $30. And it's basically Battle Royale. Actually, it is Battle Royale. You're dropped off on an island with 90 to 99 others. The lone person left alive wins.

On 4/22/2017 at 1:30 PM, Craig H said:

Count me in for those totally addicted to Playerunknown's Battlegrounds.

This game is fucking fantastic.

If you don't know what it is, it's a game on Steam Early Access. It's $30. And it's basically Battle Royale. Actually, it is Battle Royale. You're dropped off on an island with 90 to 99 others. The lone person left alive wins.

I watched some play of this on Twitch over the weekend. It's definitely a fascinating game. I want to say I heard on one of the Giant Bomb podcasts that it's possibly getting console ports later in the year after it passes the early access phase.

Hah, so I discovered it almost the same way the Giant Bomb guys did. I got on Steam to play some Dota 2 and I think while waiting to queue up for a match I went to see if there were any Fire Pro updates. The main advertised game on the Steam store was Battlegrounds. The image they used for it looked like Borderlands, so I thought it was just some bullshit jank someone spit out to make a buck on Steam.

Then I listen to the Giant Bombcast where they have they same exact experience, but then they get into how it's basically Battle Royale: The Game. They seemed to like it, but they mentioned that it was actually a little janky and weird. I went and watched some YouTube videos and it actually looked really competent for a FPS. It was also up my alley with using a lot of stealth and what not. So I wound up buying it.

I'm still playing the hell out of it. What surprised me the most was just how solid the shooting aspects are. There are some hitches every now and then, but that seems to be right after you land on the ground at the start of the round. So the first door you open and the first item you try to pick up gives a little bit of feedback lag. After that, it works pretty well most of the time. The door opening and closing mechanics could work a bit better. Sometimes I need to back up and walk up to a door multiple times to close it. That seems like a simple fix, though.

The sound is amazing. The sounds of guns, the crunching of grass under your feet, footsteps on wooden floors upstairs or in a nextdoor house, etc. are outstanding. It really makes me want to play this game on my surround sound setup instead of at my computer desk, which just has a decent 2.1 setup that can mock surround sound. I thought it would be fun to check my heart rate monitor on my Gear Fit because it really feels like my heart starts racing the moment I walk into a house and hear footsteps or if I'm already in a house and I hear footsteps outside or hear a door open to the house. Sure enough, my BPM shoots up.

Vehicle controls leave a bit to be desired. They seemed to go for the Halo route of controlling vehicles, but at this point, it's still sluggish and hit boxes are strange as well. Maybe it's just me, but I've been headshot more in a regular old car or jeep than I have on a motorcycle or dune buggy. It's so bad that I pretty much just go for those because if I get shot then it's nearly a given that I'll take body damage instead of getting headshot.

For $30, you can't really go wrong. And as soon as you're eliminated from one game, another game is popping almost immediately so there's never any downtime.

Had a conversation with John Romero (of Doom fans) about Apple II games and programming in a super-niche-y Apple II group on Facebook this morning. Not gonna lie, I marked out a bit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tabe said:

Had a conversation with John Romero (of Doom fans) about Apple II games and programming this morning in a super-niche-y Apple II group on Facebook this morning. Not gonna lie, I marked out a bit. 

Did he make you his bitch?

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

Anyway, I had a gift card that I wasn't using and bought The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Switch, so now I guess I'm going to get a Switch in the next month or two.