DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

4 hours ago, BL88 said:

I have finished Nier Automata.

In the post-conclusion delight, I feel a little prone to hyperbole.
It's definitely one of the best games on this generation of consoles.
It might be my new favorite video game
If not that, it might be my new favorite narrative-heavy video game.
If not that, it might be my new favorite ending.

Regardless, I believe that anyone who is interested in games as a storytelling medium should play Nier: Automata. It is a story that cannot feasibly be expressed in any other medium.

2017 is probably one of the best years in video games and we are only in April, judging by this and other games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Persona 5.

Finally Platinum'ed Infamous 2 for my 74th Platinum.

I'm currently trying to Platinum Dark Souls II and got three trophies left. Can't seem to beat the Darklurker on NG+ with my mostly strength build.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Microsoft revealed the specs for Scorpio

stplwqj3f0vv8q8crasy.png

Great specs and I'm sure it will produce some beautiful games, but if they try to sell it for over $500 I think they are a bit insane. There is a market for it, but I think its a small market, and that market also includes PC gamers that may already have a decked out PC and are satisfied with that. I really don't think most people are ready for 4K yet (cost, media available for it, etc), maybe in a couple years but its not something I hear people clamoring for except for the hardcores.

4 years is long enough to have a Ver. 2 console, I don't blame them for doing it, I just don't know if they went "too far" for an upgrade. Not sure if it would have been better to just wait two years and have a new XBox with similar specs but a cheaper cost since by then the components should come down in price. Guess we'll see.

For the first time in years I'm thinking about writing a game guide, for Darkest Dungeon. The minority that get frustrated with it talk a lot about RNG, but from my own play I genuinely believe literally 90% of that isn't RNG but just not recognizing mistakes that are completely correctable. I think there might be some value in a guide but I wonder if it would just be too long and wordy to even appeal to the type that find it easier to just blame everything on Dem Numbers. 

Darkest Dungeon is not XCOM Enemy Unknown where you can genuinely do nothing wrong and die because 87% chance to hit is really like 47%.

I signed up for GameFly's free month trial a few days ago.... I'm getting the new Final Fantasy in the mail any day now. It was #3 on my list, behind the newest Resident Evil and Mass Effect games. Probably should have bumped up something like DOOM or Hitman, since I'm not sure about Final Fantasy, but whatever. I heard it's not turned based? I hate turn based RPGs. I haven't played one of these games since Final Fantasy 10, either, so who knows how my experience will be.

Shit, I need to see when Fractured, But Whole is scheduled now.

I'm about 8 hours in to Persona 5, just got my 4th team member. (I am slow as shit at these games) This may be the first time I finish a 100-hour game since...well, since the Summer of Unemployment that gave me P4 and FO3. I'm having a lot of fun, and it's clicking with me in a way Tokyo Mirage didn't (though I may give that another go after this).

Other shit I've experimented with:

The Witness: Look, unpopular though it is, I still love Braid.  It's every bit as wanky and pretentious as its detractors say, but it was an utterly engrossing 12 hrs or so that made an attempt to do something different with side-scrolling platformers both mechanically and artistically. I played it again a couple years ago and it still held up for me.  When Witness popped up in a Humble Bundle at Christmas, I wanted to see it for myself.  That said, this game is shit on toast and the critics are right to mock it and I was dumb to give Blow the benefit of the doubt.

RedOut: It's Indie WipeOut.  If Indie WipeOut is what you want from a game, it will probably satisfy you; I definitely prefer it to any of the handheld WipeOut games (but that's probably because I've never gotten the hang of any version of the control system that didn't have two sets of shoulder buttons; I'm quite looking forward to playing 2048 with a Dual Shock 4).

More Guilty Gear Xrd: Why can't I quit you, mediocre heavy metal fighting game? 

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:26 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Great specs and I'm sure it will produce some beautiful games, but if they try to sell it for over $500 I think they are a bit insane.

The specs are nice and beefy, but who do you market that to?  Who will buy this machine who doesn't already own a 1TB XB1?

The Sony diehards will not jump ship and right now, the most killer of killer aps is on the fucking Switch and that is price pointed far cheaper than Scorpio.

If I were Microsoft, I'd be bundling this beast with one or both of the huge Fall arrivals like Red Dead 2 or Destiny 2.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was talking with someone at work about mass effect and as we were talking, a picture of monument valley came on the tv and suddenly thought, "oh yeah. I will only be playing ME until RDR2 comes out."

My OCD will probably compel me to unlock and level up every character in multiplayer to 20.  That prospect alone means that I'll most likely be playing that dumb game until at least 2020.

RDR2 will be my I'll Play This Until Dudes Get Online For Co-Op game.

Finally beat Mad Max. That one stupid race aside, it was a fun game. A tad repetitive but the voice acting and story were great.

Started Shadows of Mordor this week. Been running around slaying Orc captains like there's no tomorrow. Any tips for someone just starting out? I'm about 7 hours into it. 

Sure am glad that I had Veteran's Day off and decided to queue up at a GameStop two hours before it opened.

Let's hope Nintendo takes pre-orders for the eventual Game Boy and SNES Classic consoles lol nah not gonna happen because Nintendo gon' Nintendo until the end of time.

7 hours ago, CSC said:

So Nintendo has discontinued their NES Classic, because apparently they hate money.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-nes-classic-discontinued-in-north-america-2017-4

The problem is people have already figured out how to hack them and load ROMs onto them. Whatever exploit that is there can't be 'patched' with the unit.

I think Nintendo does a lot of bone-headed moves and this is one of them but who knows if piracy is the reason.

It was probably just a planned holiday run that got more popular than they (or anyone) expected. I'm assuming that either 1. they plan on announcing the VC on the Switch and there is a lot of crossover, so they don't want to compete against themselves, or 2. they already had planned to use the resources to make something else around this time. Its crazy people were buying the things, I bet most played it for a few weeks and now it collects dust. I mean I own every console made in the last five years but even I didn't get one.

6 hours ago, BL88 said:

i am 35 hours into Persona 5. It is good, but I get the sense that you know if you're going to play it or not already.

I'm only 12 hours in, and I think it's awesome but I can't imagine trying to actually sell a friend who's never played 3 or 4 on it. "It's like a whole Japanese school year, and your team is a mix of gentleman thieves like Raffles and revolutionary thieves like Robin Hood and you have to balance dungeon crawls with school, work and social life. It takes 100 or so hours." I tried to explain it to my GF, who loved the fuck out of FFX, and she was astonished that I not only wanted to play it but paid $20 extra for the LE.

OK, I'm finally playin' that new Nier game.  First thing I do when they let the mad dog loose is sell my OS which kills me.  Then when I get into the game I go into the desert area and kill some dudes.  Then, I come back into the city area and climb a radio tower.  Then I try to kill a gigantic boar and get smoked.  Moose and boar are the toughest enemies in the game.    Digging the dual stick shooter shit when the camera gives you the MGS on PSX view.  Also had slight hiccups on PC version where I needed that FAR progrum to actually play the sunuvabitch.

Wasn't the NES Classic basically just a Raspberry Pi setup with an emulator and then jammed in a NES case to begin with? You could literally make one of those yourself for very little if you like pirating games that haven't earned money in 30 years.

Yes and no.  It's a similar setup, but with Nintendo's own OS running it (which is why another whole program was written to access the storage).  The way the thing was designed and carried out, Nintendo either had no intention of making more and it was a quick cash grab then underestimated, or they had plans on expansion and the retro community didn't feel like waiting.  The thing was pretty much over once someone managed to get a peared down Retroarch running on it.  

Eurogamer is reporting that the SNES Classic will be out in time for holiday season 2017.

If true, please please PUHLEEZE open pre-orders for it, Nintendo. I'd pay a hundred bucks for a 30-game SNES Classic, and I own an actual SNES (that I don't want to have to give space to, so a mini-SNES would be nice).