DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

Blaster Master Zero is gorgeous so far and is hard but strikes a good balance. I wasn't expecting it to hew so closely to the original maps (at least for area 1) though; I had expected it to be more heavily re-imagined.

Nice of them to mix the more apocalyptic SF of the Japanese game with the boy-and-his-frog American version's backstory.

• Like 1

I reached the Nuclear Throne for the first time. Took 48 hours. Achievements say only 11% of players made it this far so I feel pretty good about myself.

Still have to loop the game to get Rebel unlocked but it does get just a shade easier if you put in the time.

I enjoy this game very much. When games hit that sweet spot of being difficult without being cheap garbage, success is so rewarding. Nuclear Throne is real, real close to the center of that sweet spot. I also don't play a lot of high speed twin stick shooters so it's really something out of my wheelhouse as a video game old man at 35.

• Like 1

Further contributing to the inevitable implsoion of my mind, I have started playing DC Legends.

So far I am impressed since I am a big fan of turn based combat.

Seeing that this was a DC property I was not going in with high hopes, but have been pleasantly surprised with how fun this is.

And I have started to grind a bit sooner than I would like, but we'll see.

I've been playing pretty much nothing but Horizon: Zero Dawn when I've had the chance, and I've spent most of my time clearing the map before I go hard at the rest of the questlines.

The combat is definitely next-level good, but it's clear that this open-world thing is new for the devs. They have some issues with inventory (maybe just more space within it) and with making the merchants more varied in what they sell (they're a bit varied, but most merchants in the first part of the map have the same shit). Also, some of the sidequests are a bit too "go here, kill this stuff," which works in a game with awesome combat, but which also could stand some variety. 

But man, this is just a good tracking-and-hunting game, and taking down a big beast in this game feels like what I think EVOLVE was supposed to feel like. The variety of tools that you are offered continues to expand at a pace befitting the game's overall pace itself, and no two encounters feel necessarily alike. Definitely my personal GOTY so far. 

Yakuza 0:

So in the span of half an hour, I:

* Sent agents around the world to find me better weapons
* Taught a beginner dominatrix how to be more assertive
* Facilitated a marriage proposal via crossword puzzle
* Distracted passers-by so a living statue could nip out and use the bathroom
* Posed as a boyfriend so a woman could get away from her overbearing father

Total completion of the game thus far: Barely 12%.

I might be in love with this series now.

So when I bought my PS4, I got a second hand one off the internet. Now they said they were including Watch Dogs 1, which yeah, the disk was in the box.But it looks like they may have downloaded FIFA 15, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Black Ops 3, Smite and World of Tanks. Am I like, legally entitled to play those if they're on my hard drive, even though the other bloke paid for them?

Also, Tanks and Smite have little padlock icons next to the start option, where FIFA, CoD and B'Field don't. Does that mean anything?

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

So when I bought my PS4, I got a second hand one off the internet. Now they said they were including Watch Dogs 1, which yeah, the disk was in the box.But it looks like they may have downloaded FIFA 15, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Black Ops 3, Smite and World of Tanks. Am I like, legally entitled to play those if they're on my hard drive, even though the other bloke paid for them?

Also, Tanks and Smite have little padlock icons next to the start option, where FIFA, CoD and B'Field don't. Does that mean anything?

Padlock tends to mean that the game is not available because the account that bought them is tied to the game and so they won't launch unless you're using that account. As for the other games, you're not breaking the law if you play them, and retail-available games are weirdly available for everyone on the console the owner bought them for. However, if the dude ends up activating his account on another Playstation and he makes that playstation his primary playstation, you'll be shut out of all of those games immediately.

• Like 1

*sigh* Six days and counting.  The struggle to get my Scout up to Rank 10 GoW4 before Andromeda and collect one more Rare Achievement drops is real.

It is hard enough grinding levels without having hitch my wagon of success to early quitting retards and team killers.

It would also help if it did not take for-fucking-ever to get to Wave 50 in Horde Mode.

5, 4, N, N, 6, N, 4, 3, 1, 4, 3, 5, 5, 1, N, 1, 7, 7, 3, 5, 4, N, 3, 1, 6, 1

- Ratings out of ten for the last bunch of games I've played. N stands for no rating as I didn't stick around long enough to bother. Moral: cheap shit is still shit and random selection isn't always the best way to navigate your way through an extensive backlog. They weren't even good sevens.

12 hours ago, BL88 said:

Padlock tends to mean that the game is not available because the account that bought them is tied to the game and so they won't launch unless you're using that account. As for the other games, you're not breaking the law if you play them, and retail-available games are weirdly available for everyone on the console the owner bought them for. However, if the dude ends up activating his account on another Playstation and he makes that playstation his primary playstation, you'll be shut out of all of those games immediately.

@AxBIt's also worth mentioning that both World of Tanks and Smite are free-to-play games.  There's nothing stopping you from starting new accounts on your own PSN after deleting and reinstalling, but if the previous owner spent real money on unlocks you'll lose them.

HITMAN UPDATE
Previously: Paris [4]; Sapienza [3]; Marrakesh [2]; Bangkok [4]
COLORADO [4] - Four targets with no safe zones. Probably the biggest actual challenge I've had playing Hitman. Essentially, the player infiltrates a militia compound without a uniform. Without a disguise, 47 is the number of bullet holes he's liable to collect on sight. This process of infiltration is the most tense the game got, and the most rewarding once I actually pulled it off. Hiding bodies in stages is fucking nerve-wracking. Making progress is slow, but full of big silly revelatory moments. 
BEST KILL: Sabotaging the miniaturized bulldozer in the Raid Practice barn to score a twofer.

HOKKAIDO [3] - A good map, but in the wrong episode slot in this season. I've spent the entire season unlocking cool stuff, and then the last mission starts you with no personally smuggled items and no agency stash points. The central conceit is good (no keys, it's an exclusive mountain club so the robes you wear have your keys embedded in them, thus making your disguises literal keycards instead of figurative ones) but after going all out and doing all sorts of wild shit in Colorado, being so restricted to the point that I didn't even have the unlocks I earned bummed me out. This is probably a 4 if it's not The Grand Finale.
BEST KILL: The only time I killed a non-target in the entire series. To get the bodyguard uniform I needed, I walked up to two men standing at the entrance with a bust of a cowboy head I had acquired from my next-door neighbor, knocked them both unconscious, took a disguise and both of their guns, and threw them both off the cliff. The actual target kills were either boring or deeply, uncomfortably hideous.

HITMAN SEASON ONE [4] - This is probably the greatest stealth game yet made. The only people I think wouldn't enjoy some part of this game are people who struggle with anxiety or stress. Everyone else should probably give it a go. It's accommodating of all assassin fantasies, from James Bond to Anton Chigurh and anything in between,

NIER AUTOMATA [3] - Disclosure: I used a friend's Gamefly account to acquire this game, so, I cannot honestly say I paid for it, nor do I know if I'd pay full price for it.
On one hand, I do not like open world RPGs. On the other hand, the second boss is the most disquieting transhumanistic body horror I've ever seen. What I'm saying is, Nier is a game of extremes. When it is doing Platinum things, it is Platinuming it's precious little heart out and I love it. When I'm grinding for crafting mats or trying to recover my corpse, not so much.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BL88 said:

NIER AUTOMATA [3] - Disclosure: I used a friend's Gamefly account to acquire this game, so, I cannot honestly say I paid for it, nor do I know if I'd pay full price for it.
On one hand, I do not like open world RPGs. On the other hand, the second boss is the most disquieting transhumanistic body horror I've ever seen. What I'm saying is, Nier is a game of extremes. When it is doing Platinum things, it is Platinuming it's precious little heart out and I love it. When I'm grinding for crafting mats or trying to recover my corpse, not so much.

If it has anything as awesome as the scantily clad foul mouthed transgender warrior in the first game, I am all in.

Mass Effect is getting lower reviews than I was expecting. It was a hot run this year already with games hovering around 90 or higher on metacritic (Zelda, Horizon, NIeR, and Nioh), I had assumed Mass Effect: Andromeda would follow suit. I'm too scared to go into the thread for it since I don't want spoilers, wonder what the issue is. I still plan on picking it up in a few months, once I get through Zelda and Horizon, but I may just wait til the Black Friday price drop at this point.

20 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Mass Effect is getting lower reviews than I was expecting. It was a hot run this year already with games hovering around 90 or higher on metacritic (Zelda, Horizon, NIeR, and Nioh), I had assumed Mass Effect: Andromeda would follow suit. I'm too scared to go into the thread for it since I don't want spoilers, wonder what the issue is. I still plan on picking it up in a few months, once I get through Zelda and Horizon, but I may just wait til the Black Friday price drop at this point.

Keep in mind, the outrage over the ME: 3 ending had that game dropping in price I want to say within 60 days of its release, so you may be able to pick it up for cheap sooner than you think.

No, it was working fine. I wasn't sure whether I should have been switching it off fully or just Rest Mode it, but in this case I'd rest moded it for like ten minutes, went to switch it back on and it black screened instead of booting up. I unplugged and replugged thinking that would help, but it's a brick now.

How do I get the disc out?

And randomly it starts working again. Apparently those tiny little thinner than a penny things at the front (between the gloss bit and the matt bit) are the power and eject buttons. And powering it up by pressing that worked.

Usually you can just switch it on via the joypad. And yeah, it didn't come with a manual. 

ps4-hrdware-large18.jpg

Can you spot the power button there? It's in the shot.

After looking at the preview videos, I'm actually pretty stoked for this year's MLB The Show. Been 2 years since I've bothered with it. I always play franchise mode. I've never played Road to the Show, but after seeing the clips posted, it looks very nice. 

I just don't know what team is going to want to sign a 31 year old contact hitting, reliable second baseman who's been out of the game for years. 

#nevergiveup