DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

Finished up my GoW4 on Normal difficulty playthrough last night so I have collected nearly all of the achievements you can get in Campaign mode without playing co-op or dealing with the bullshit of Hardcore / Insane difficulty.

I can now casually level grind my Scout to Rank 10 and kill time until Andromeda drops.

See the thing I don't understand about pre-order bonuses? How does the game know whether you paid for it in advance or not? I mean, if you buy a game on the day of release but you didn't pre-order, does it know to not give you the pre-order stuff? If you do pre-order, but then right before the release day you get badly ill, or injured, or your crazy ex-girlfriend phones you up and tells you her fiance jilted her at the alter so she's taking you on her honeymoon instead... so you don't get to pick it up until it's been already been out for a fortnight, do you lose the pre-order bonus because you didn't play it right away?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AxB said:

See the thing I don't understand about pre-order bonuses? How does the game know whether you paid for it in advance or not? I mean, if you buy a game on the day of release but you didn't pre-order, does it know to not give you the pre-order stuff? If you do pre-order, but then right before the release day you get badly ill, or injured, or your crazy ex-girlfriend phones you up and tells you her fiance jilted her at the alter so she's taking you on her honeymoon instead... so you don't get to pick it up until it's been already been out for a fortnight, do you lose the pre-order bonus because you didn't play it right away?

Stores get a certain number of preorder copies, if you buy it late and they have extra you can still get the preorder bonuses.  I have all the preorder stuff from Gears of War 4, despite not buying it until much later. 

The new selection of tables is pretty lackluster IMO but I'm probably gonna get Eight Ball Deluxe.  It's the first pinball game that I remember playing a lot at the local dumpy pizza place back in the 80s when even dumpy stores usually had a few good video games and/or pinball machines.

I have to be around 25 hours into Torment: Tides of Numenera in about a week. That's usually more than I play a video game (FFRK notwithstanding) in 6 months. It's been years since I played Planescape: Torment so I can't compare the two 100% but I can certainly compare it to something like Dragon Age: Origins. It's more niche, but really rewarding. There's a ton of text to parse through but it's all rich and well written. The hardest thing with the game is that it rewards failure. I've only found myself resetting a couple of times because I was missing a roll, and that was generally a case where I was almost certain that paths would be closed off to me if I didn't (which is rare). There's one spot in the middle where you can actually die that takes a couple of tries, but usually the game isn't just forgiving of failure but it finds interesting ways to reward you. It's something that encourages role playing. I had to make a choice last night about one of my companions, for instance, which I really didn't want to make but I knew I had to based on the character I was playing and it was worth it to do so. It's a game that strongly encourages replays too. I just picked up an item, about 75% through the game which allows for mind reading and an extra bit of dialogue in almost every exchange  you can have with a named NPC. That can be an innate skill for some characters, so I definitely want to go back through and replay the game with that from the start at some point (let alone picking a different "Tide"/build), but I don't regret not having it because I chose to be able to unlock my characters' old memories and have certain rogue skills that unlocked other paths for me instead. 

To me, it blows something like Dragon Age out of the water in most ways. There are places it could be a little more developed or better. While the companions are rich, I could have used about 30% more interaction with them. There's a lot built in but it's less focused than other games. My biggest frustration is that you can't zoom without a mouse and I'm playing on a laptop so that makes travelling a bit trickier than it could be. There's also a more text based subgame with "meres" where you can enter memories and I'm not sure you always have the amount of choice I'd like in those. But they're nitpicks. My main complaint is that I wish I had ten hours a day to play this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

The new selection of tables is pretty lackluster IMO but I'm probably gonna get Eight Ball Deluxe.  It's the first pinball game that I remember playing a lot at the local dumpy pizza place back in the 80s when even dumpy stores usually had a few good video games and/or pinball machines.

I got it pretty much entirely for that and the two Who tables (if I was gonna spend $20 minimum, it felt dumb not to get 8 more for an extra $10). It still feels like they've done everything with real historical significance, and now we are down to "what can be added value tacked onto shit we kickstarted?" 

I've become somewhat of a Nuclear Throne obsessive. I want to git gud at this game very very much.

Some days I feel like it's close. And some days like today I feel that this is the kind of game that can make you feel old and fucked at 35 for my lack of reflexes.

There's a point near the end of Borderlands 2 where Claptrap offers the extremely helpful advice "Avoid the bullets. AVOID THEM!". This is all I hear in my head every time I cannot dodge fast enough in Nuclear Throne. The struggle is real.

Completed uncharted 4. No magic maguffin, no voodoo monsters. Just a solid, beautiful story.

Now moving onto diablo3 on ps4. looks to be okay so far...but i dont know how long it will hold my attention, with far cry 4 and Rise of the tomb raider on my pc silently judging me for not finishing them...

On 08/03/2017 at 1:20 AM, supremebve said:

Stores get a certain number of preorder copies, if you buy it late and they have extra you can still get the preorder bonuses.  I have all the preorder stuff from Gears of War 4, despite not buying it until much later. 

Oh, so the 'Day One Edition' versions of COD: IW still sitting on my local supermarket's shelves are all the pre-order copies nobody wanted.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Oh, so the 'Day One Edition' versions of COD: IW still sitting on my local supermarket's shelves are all the pre-order copies nobody wanted.

Probably, I got Gears of War 4 from Target when they had one of those buy 2 get 1 free promotions (I think there is one going on now by the way).  I wanted Skyrim Special Edition and WWE 2K17, and Gears of War was the free game that I didn't even really want.  So when I installed it on my Xbox One it installed Gears 4,3, 2, and 1.  I didn't even know that was the preorder bonus until I didn't have any more room on my hard drive.

The co-op class leveling system in GoW4 can eat a bag of goat dicks.   It is taking forever to get my Scout to 10 and doing so is about as fun as smashing my hand with a hammer. 

The rare achievements for getting all of the classes to 10 and re-uping ten times can kiss my ass.

MORPHBLADE [3] - This is a game from the Gunpoint developer. Stop getting excited, this is not a narrative game from the Gunpoint developer. It's an incredibly bare, quasi-tactics game. You only have one unit, and the attributes of the unit change depending on which square they're on. By killing enemies on certain tiles, you get access to upgrades, and the upgrades are determined by the adjacent tiles you control. It's really simple, I'm probably not going to play it for very long, but shit, while I'm waiting for Heat Signature to come out, it'll do.

POLY BRIDGE [3] - Simple physics puzzles. You've probably seen one of these bridge constructing games
EDIT lol I love that I got so bored thinking about this game that I stopped writing this. It's exactly what you think it is.

HITMAN UPDATE:
Previously: Paris [4]; Sapienza [3]; Marrakesh [2]
BANGKOK [4] - A friend of mine warned me that they disliked Bangkok more than Marrakesh. I have come to believe they are fuckin' crazy. This is not news. Anyways, I like this mission more than I like Paris, the prior high point, because it feels like the types of tomfoolery I can engage with is similar to Sapienza, while being as coherent and unmilitary as Paris.
BEST KILL: Following a lawyer around his house-sized suite, listening to him nitpick the work that all these different cleaners have done, then throwing a letter opener in his ear once he told me he was satisfied. Then, busting a soda can over the head of his security guard to make a big trashy mess, and storing them in the same bathroom closet.

Honestly, I'm just clearing my schedule because I'll have Nier Automata starting on Friday, and I have to produce an album this weekend (no pressure!) so I'm pretty much booked for the rest of the month.

In an effort to mine coins for numerous apps I use, I have recently been playing Marvel Contest of Champions.

I am not a fan of fighting games outside of wrestling, but I have been enjoying the game so far.

On my backlog pile, there's a copy of Injustice:Gods Among Us that I have yet to crack and I am now tempted to play the game.

tl;dr Is there a DVDVR alliance going?

I couldn't find one using the search function.

Elder Scrolls: Legends came out of beta two days ago and, after watching a game play video made by a Magic pro, I decided to give the game a whirl.  It's a free to play CCG in the same vein as Hearthstone but there seems to be a considerable amount more strategy and depth involved.  The game play takes mechanics from other games but balances them.  The art is gorgeous and the voices given to the cards are pretty awesome (Khajit has had enough!).  If you like the TES games and CCGs, give it a shot.

It will be months until I am done with NIER: AUTOMATA, but here is an example play session.

-Just defeated the third boss, in one of the most interesting zones the game has showed me so far.
-Encounter a new and charming town, full of quests. Go do them.
-Was searching in the desert, which is across the map, to finish some quests.
-Found a little hideyhole with a save point, and saved.
-On my way out of the desert, found a challenge arena and completed several waves of that.
-Wrapped up that quest, went to go turn in all my quests.
-Walked the entire distance of the currently available map, as there is no fast travel whatsoever.
-Turned in a bunch of my quests in the first city.
-Ran to the new city, and turned those in.
-Game informed me that there was a new crisis at the starter zone.
-I only know the one way to get home from there, so I go that way.
-Screen cuts to black. Text informs me that I have abandoned my mission, and thus humanity, and thus everyone is dead now.
-Title card, now with subtitle "A Building Too [H]igh"
-Roll credits at 2000% speed.
-Title Screen.
-Didn't save since the desert. About 40 minutes of time and exploration lost.
-Save file now has a new info line, for Endings, including Ending "H."

If this sounds infuriating to you, maybe you should wait for a lets play, or just 100% main-line it, skipping all side missions.

5 hours ago, BL88 said:

It will be months until I am done with NIER: AUTOMATA, but here is an example play session.

-Just defeated the third boss, in one of the most interesting zones the game has showed me so far.
-On my way out of the desert, found a challenge arena and completed several waves of that.
-Walked the entire distance of the currently available map, as there is no fast travel whatsoever.
-Screen cuts to black. Text informs me that I have abandoned my mission, and thus humanity, and thus everyone is dead now.
-Title Screen.

If this sounds infuriating to you, maybe you should wait for a lets play, or just 100% main-line it, skipping all side missions.

I like life and have a daughter so I'd rather not play a game that would make me consider suicide.

22 hours ago, FireThunder said:

Elder Scrolls: Legends came out of beta two days ago and, after watching a game play video made by a Magic pro, I decided to give the game a whirl.  It's a free to play CCG in the same vein as Hearthstone but there seems to be a considerable amount more strategy and depth involved.  The game play takes mechanics from other games but balances them.  The art is gorgeous and the voices given to the cards are pretty awesome (Khajit has had enough!).  If you like the TES games and CCGs, give it a shot.

What caught my attention was that they are hyping the single player mode, which has quests and stuff. I'll give it a whirl at some point.

I've got about a week to get my Scout in GoW4 to Rank 10.  After that, I'm flushing the game so that there are no impediments to all of the Mass Effect Andromeda stuff that will inhabit my XB1 for the next five years.

3 hours ago, JLSigman said:

What caught my attention was that they are hyping the single player mode, which has quests and stuff. I'll give it a whirl at some point.

Single player mode is a really nice touch.  I'm looking forward to the Fall of the Dark Brotherhood campaign that comes out next month.

Not exactly sure where this should go, but Colin Moriarty is out at Kinda Funny.  As with so many well-known figures, his downfall was due to Bad Tweets.

That said, the tweets in question were in poor taste, but far from the most offensive things I've seen, so I'm thinking this split had been coming for a while and this was just the flashpoint to pull the trigger on it.

I think he was getting tired of certain segments of the audience for quite a while, NeoGAF in particular.  I tend to stay away from most forums and sites now, because the readers/posters as well as the writers/mods/editors really come across as entitled thin-skinned manbabies, and that's even before you insert politics into the mix.

17 hours ago, BL88 said:

-Title Screen.

Great. Can't wait to Platinum this. I'm insane.