DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

So, Super Hexagon is like a real life "Last Starfighter" and is a recruiting tool for Skynet to decide which human brain it's going to turn into the AI base of the Terminators, right?

• Like 2

The grind to Rank 10 Scout in GoW4 is sooooo very real.  At least I finally got the Rare Achievements for completing 20 bounties and leveling up five skill cards to max.  I have a lot of scrap left over from trashing bullshit weapon skins.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:50 AM, assfax said:

CRITICAL

ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'll say this right now...If this was exclusive for something like the Switch, I would buy the Switch in a heartbeat. The things that sell me on a system are weird. MLB: The Show sold me on buying a PS3 and later a PS4. If Fire Pro is on the Switch, that will sell me on it more than Zelda or anything else.

So, are Telltale games plotted on the 'All roads lead to Rome' plan? Y'know, where you have a moral choice where you can exile someone, kill them or keep them with you (either as a prisoner, or as free and forgiven), but whatever you choose they end up escaping so they can do the exile storyline (and almost certainly come back as our nemesis later)? Because this Walking Dead game certainly feels like that.

Spoiler

You can stop the train to kill the bitten kid before he turns, but then his mother kills herself in grief. Or you can fail to stop the train so he turns Zombie and kills his mother so she dies anyway.

Batman was the first time since the shift from Sierra/Lucasfilm homages (basically everything from Sam & Max til Strong Bad) to the current visual novel-y format (basically starting with Walking Dead) that I've actually finished an entire episode of a TT game. I really need to get around to finishing it since I bought the season pass.

ETA: And I have finished the very lowest difficulty of Super Hexagon in view of humans on a phone. I find it impossible to play on PC.

Well, shit.  It looks like I am going to shotgun through another playthrough of GoW4 Campaign Mode in order to snag a couple more fairly simple achievements that I missed the first time around.

I went ahead and picked up Horizon. I want a map filled with cool shit to find, and if the bowplay is as good as Tomb Raider's, we could have a stew going here.

I hate to double-post, but I was lucky enough to spend four hours with Horizon today, and the comparisons to the combat/hunt/craft gameplay of a Far Cry game are fair. The big difference is that Horizon has compelling enemy encounters and interesting combat, which Far Cry is totally missing IMO. 

I think that this comes from the robot enemies moving in packs. You have options for picking one off away from the herd one at a time, options for finding terrain that gives you an advantage, options for stealth and options for going in firing arrows and dodging attacks. It's very satisfying to whittle down a hostile herd of robot animals, and while I've heard that the human enemies are dumb as stumps (I haven't encountered one yet), the animals are pretty interesting in how they react. I've had singular enemies stay back and shoot projectiles until allies came to help before charging me, I've had enemies scatter like antelopes scattering from a predator while I put in work on the poor guy left behind, and I've had desperate enemies just go ahead and charge me. That last one makes for some really exciting gameplay as I try to get off a shot at an exposed area in an enemy's armor before it gets to me. 

There are four tiers of quest from main quests to errands scattered around the map. I finished the twenty minute opening (which did a good job of establishing an interesting post-apocalyptic world) and then got out into the first small part of the map. I have just been doing everything that I can and crafting as many upgrades as possible via scavenging and hunting, but I've enjoyed every bit of the game so far with the caveat that I love the vicious sort of gaming feedback loop that this game utilizes: hunt, kill, scavenge, craft better stuff to hunt more efficiently so that you can kill more/stronger enemies to scavenge and craft even better stuff from. 

If you like that sort of feedback loop, this game should be right up your alley.

The game looks beautiful even on a launch PS4 and though I haven't gotten much into the main story, the world itself is interesting and worth learning more about, I think. 

I think finally after about 15 and a half hours of play I have crossed a threshold where Nuclear Throne's difficulty seems slightly less impenetrable and I'm actually starting to make some small headway. Longest run so far is 5-3. I seem to do okay with Robot, who I have also got a Golden Shotgun for so that helps a lot. I also just got Chicken unlocked, and made it to 4-1 on my first attempt, where I quickly discovered Chicken's starting sword becomes useless and I died. I'll keep that in mind for future runs. So much of the game is just learning to prioritize what is actually dangerous and what only looks dangerous at a glance, as well as learning the pros/cons of the different weapons.

I also have had some mild success with Y.V. and his "double shots for double reload" skill really needs to be in Borderlands 3. I don't play much as Fish or Eyes. I mostly played Crystal the first 10 hours or so. It goes without saying I don't bother with Melting, I'm not good enough yet. Haven't unlocked the other characters.

Game is damn hard but it's never not been fun to me. I really do enjoy it a lot. Fun to play, fast action, great soundtrack, really difficult but fair in its own sick way.

Yeah, so this second GoW4 playthrough is becoming painful which makes the slow grind towards Level 10 Scout all the more real.

I need to do this now because I will not give a shit about this game when Andromeda launches.

I checked out some Mafia 3 vids yesterday after work and yeah, those collectables are um.. er..,, pretty interesting and guarantee that if I end up getting a pre-owned copy of the game as achievement fodder, I should not play it when any family members, children, or angry female significant others are present.. 

I suppose ideal gaming conditions are in a dark room with the door locked and the shades pulled down. 

One thing you can't say is that Mafia 3 did not earn its M rating..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I checked out some Mafia 3 vids yesterday after work and yeah, those collectables are um.. er..,, pretty interesting and guarantee that if I end up getting a pre-owned copy of the game as achievement fodder, I should not play it when any family members, children, or angry female significant others are present.. 

I suppose ideal gaming conditions are in a dark room with the door locked and the shades pulled down. 

One thing you can't say is that Mafia 3 did not earn its M rating..

I've lost track here.  Is it my turn to make the Jehovah's Witnesses joke?

7 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I've lost track here.  Is it my turn to make the Jehovah's Witnesses joke?

We're not in the GTA5 thread so negative.  No one here will get that reference.

You don't really see anything when you pick up the Playboys or Vargas posters.  You have to go into a sub-menu of the options screen to see them.  And you still have to flip through articles in some of the Playboys to see the good parts :)

I think I'm pretty close to finishing the game.  There is a mission thread that is around the Southern Union (their version of the KKK) that has some really brutal kills.  The gameplay is pretty repetitive, but I enjoy the core and only play for 30-60 minutes at a time, so I don't mind.  If you're binge gaming, I could see how it would get old.

In not shocking news, Zelda currently has perfect scores from IGN, Gamespot, Edge Magazine, Destructoid, Giant Bomb, Polygon, and Famitsu. Plus other smaller sites I haven't heard of. I won't have time to play it until Sunday but I can't wait.