DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

The Switch rumour was already killed. Hopefully it's multiplatform. With the camera angle, clearly the robotic movements, it's Fire Pro... just what kind and on what platform is TBD. My body has never been so ready before.

• Like 1

FPW2 is a great game, but not to the level of FPWD or (as far as I can tell from videos) FPWR. I want a FPW for the modern console era, except also I don't have to play it on a TV. 

I played the hell out of the first FPW for GBA, too. Running giant 32-man tournaments was the best. 

• Like 1

Today is the day I'm going to reveal myself as a loon.

Considering the precedent of the 360 Fire Pro, "having it at all" would be a nice start.

I'm gonna take a second to explain how it is that I know the following shit: I've been in and around Fire Pro e-feds from Freshman year of high school to like middle 2000s somewhere (it's a blur). What I did after that was made my own personal league of wrestlers that I've created entirely by hand, with incredibly specific rules and strict CPU logic rules as well, constructed from a few different e-fed rulebooks. I Have Spent Way Too Much Time Staring At CPU Logic.

on the other hand, if it wasn't for fire pro, I wouldn't have the initiative to learn how to do creative things, and thus would probably have never felt empowered enough to write and record entire albums on my own, so I definitely owe a lot Fire Pro's influence in my life.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, there's a few quibbles from the last Fire Pro's CPU logic system that I'd like solved. The big one is a translation error- the personality traits (Entertainment, Discretion, Flexibility) in FPR had the order of the variables switched. For every other game, they're ordered High/Low. In FPR, they're ordered Low/High. What's worse is that the English translation switched it to Yes/No. So, in FPR, in three specific cases, Yes means Low and No means High. There's another option that's Yes/No. Occasionally I have to double check which is which if I'm not paying attention, and unless I sit there staring at the simulated matches and my notes (shut up) I might not catch that I slipped on the translation rug again. A smaller one is, there's little idiosyncratic moves that I would like better control over. For example, having the option to have wrestlers prefer the Over the Top throw vs. the Through the Ropes throw. I believe it's currently impossible to have AI characters perform this throw at all. There's pretty good odds that someone who's currently reading this and has played FPR doesn't know it's an option because it's buried underneath the earth that deeply. Stuff like that.

This doesn't compare to the issues FPR has with random seeding (the seed is always the same when you first boot the CD, no matter what the saving prompts may lead you to believe) or that the Recovery stat references the values set for Breathing instead of Recovery and has done such since Fire Prowrestling G (s/o JasonBlackheart, wherever you are). Those are the major things I'd like changed.

And I don't think you asked this, but it's on my mind and I don't want someone else to ask this: The only thing I'd really want to see added mechanics-wise is crawling. The absence of crawling is kind of a glaring oversight in the simulation of a wrestling match. For instance, there's no desperate tag options as a result, there's only "Stand straight up, walk backwards, tag out, and immediately stand on the apron to start breathing." Not very dramatic.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Trying not to get too hype since it could be "coming in 2018" or it could be "a new mobile phone game coming next month." But am certainly hype.

My god, if it's a fucking mobile game, I'm setting something on fire.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2017 at 6:41 PM, Tromatagon said:

For Honor is the closest to Bushido Blade we're going to get apparently but I never see anyone who actually played the shit out of Bushido Blade say this

Okay, I was really good at Bushido Blade and I missed the open beta.  I may have to Redbox this game some weekend.

So where 'd this "Firepro" video come from? Does anyone have a link ,etc? It almost looks goofy._.

Needless to say I was a huge FP fan, bought a Sega Saturn and had it modded to play Japanese games...and spent all that cash plus the $100 bucks I spent on the Firepro Wrestling game itself. I battled every tag team and singles wrestler on the way to the belts. I was obsessed and spent many hours in my quest. Itfelt great when I finally won.  So I decided to take a break before I began defending the belts, and one of my best buddies wanted to borrow the system and play for himself . I agreed and allowed him to borrowit. BIG MISTAKE ; A few weeks later I had the itch to play again...but my friend  avoided me .It tooks weeks before he finally  returned my system. I was so stoked!!! I rushed  home from work, hooked everything up and...WHERE WAS MY SAVES?!!!  I started the Sega again, no luck. I smacked the back of the Saturn, still no luck . Hell I even tried the old Nintendo "blow into machine trick". Nothing worked ! Come to find out, it wasn't even  my system!Yeah...imagine that .WTF!  All that work lost, and he never said why/how my system disappeared .I finally got him back years later , when I hit a drunken, running Awesome-Bomb onto a tree root while at a party. Good Times!

23 hours ago, damnnearfonzie said:

So where 'd this "Firepro" video come from? Does anyone have a link ,etc? It almost looks goofy._.

It came from the official Spike Chunsoft Twitter, and I'm pretty sure it's goofy on purpose. Here's the link:

https://twitter.com/spikechunsoft

• Like 1

On 2/25/2017 at 10:35 AM, Raziel403 said:

Random observation:

Managing MAME ROM files can fuck a cactus.  That is all.

Yep. But it's the only way I can play WWF WrestleFest and Cyberball, so I manage. 

I don't spend money on WWE stuff anymore, but I might crack if I had a chance to get the Technos-developed WWF Wrestlefest on PS4. Mat Mania is great, but all I can think when I play it is that WWF WrestleFest is the final iteration of these games, and that's what I really want to play. 

Eventually, when I get into a bigger house of my own someday, I plan to get a WrestleFest cabinet. I only want one cabinet down in my future basement, and that's it. 

• Like 1

I am working slowly through some of the Freedom Bundle stuff.

I feel like if anyone can actually defeat Super Hexagon while in view of other humans that can confirm they are neither a cheat, an android, or an alien, they should immediately be awarded a cash prize of no less than ten thousand dollars.

Also, my favourite part of Super Meat Boy is when you press jump and meat boy does not jump and then you die and have to pretend the challenge here isn't 90% wrestling the controls 10% level design.