DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

On 3.2.2017 at 5:48 PM, Black Angel said:

Late playing but everything you heard about Witcher 3 is right. It's awesome. I gladly would've paid 60 bucks for this.

I'm actually going through it for the fifth time, both DLCs aswell. It's my 100% run, first and probably only time I did this with a video game. Such a great addition to the Witcher canon. And Gwent!

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 4:26 AM, BL88 said:

I'M WORRIED ABOUT HOW POORLY DOOM 2016 IS GOING TO AGE - Now, this could be that I've played it to my limit, making it through like two and a half times now, and most games don't stand up to that kind of replayability, but the sudden stop that has ended my third playthrough (and first on the PC) worries me. I think there's a better than average chance that games won't take the right lessons from what DOOM did right, and so the way the genre will push forwards as a result will wear thin, and make DOOM retroactively look worse. We'll see about that, but ultimately DOOM is not as good as it made me feel the first time through.

I'm currently playing through Doom on PS4. About 60% through the campaign. Pretty fun so far but I hate those f'n rune trials. I think I've completed 4 of them. Now I find them and then don't even bother trying to finish them. They're an unnecessary pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned. 

I like the snapmap feature. Here's the first decent map I made.

30 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I'm currently playing through Doom on PS4. About 60% through the campaign. Pretty fun so far but I hate those f'n rune trials. I think I've completed 4 of them. Now I find them and then don't even bother trying to finish them. They're an unnecessary pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned. 

I like the snapmap feature. Here's the first decent map I made.

Doom seems to be one of those things where if you didn't have a lot of reference or reverence for the series heading in that it's not worth visiting. For me it's something that i may pick up as my backlog decreases. I'm trying not to buy much to accomplish that goal as we speak. the only purchases I'm looking to make between now and the fall are probably The Show and Injustice 2, and I may talk myself out of those depending on free time/what I'm currently enthralled in playing.

Been trying out Nuclear Throne as first up from the Freedom Bundle. It is not quite what I expected, in that when I heard roguelike I expected something slower paced. It is very much not that. It's kind of a hard game to describe thematically. It's like someone really loved games like Gauntlet or Hammerwatch, old games like Contra, but also loved Borderlands. And they said WHY NOT BOTH.

Games tend to be quite short (like, arcade game 5 minutes or less if you lose short), and I am not very good at it, but it is very fun to play. I've put three hours into it so far and it is quite good. I pretty much only play as the Crystal. All other characters I just get wasted.

FOR HONOR CHECK-IN #2:

single-player is done, thank fuck. Might go back through for collectables in like three months when there's guides.

I got the samurai population unbalance WAY wrong. Turns out everyone loves the vikings. There was a point when the vikings controlled some like 30 territories on the faction war.

I can't tell if I'm good at this game, if my class is unbalanced or if everyone's just fuckin' hideous. I am yet to lose a single match. By the end of the match, one or two players run from the sight of me pretty reliably. I can even win 1v2s (rarely) if I'm concentrating. I'm still enjoying it, but I'm sort of not used to being Good at a game.

Server issues have started rearing their head. I've gotten kicked out of three games tonight and that's where I called it a day. Hope that rights itself soon.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:49 AM, Neil Koch said:

I'm playing Mafia 3 now.  It's good, but I can see where the criticisms come from.

There is a lot of driving around because there is no fast travel.  I get that they were trying to be more realistic, but then Lincoln can "call" in cars, supplies, and backup basically at any time, so why not some sort of taxi?

The game's structure is pretty repetitive.  You are taking over the city, so you go from district to district, and meet your cronie and then find informants/bust up contraband/kill enforcers and then go back to your cronie to unlock the boss mission.  Standard side missions like racing and making contraband deliveries. 

There are a lot of good parts though.  This structure gets little addicting to me, as there is an urge to do just one more mission since controlling districts raises the amount of cash you generate (lots of guns and upgrades to buy) and will unlock more/better abilities.  I like the story, characters, and setting and the gameplay is solid for the most part - you can do some very violent kills on people.  Really good soundtrack if you like classic rock/blues/R&B.

There are quite a few collectable tchotchkes, including vintage Playboys so you can look at boobs (or read the articles, whatever floats your boat). 

Okay, I am sold. 

Actually, I was kinda sold upon hearing that I as a black man would be piloting a mixed heritage criminal in the Deep South during the most turbulent year of race relations in the USA and pretty much getting to violently murder anyone that used the n-word in reference to me.

All Along The Watchtower and Born on the Bayou playing during a couple of the trailers was just extra gravy.

There is a sale on all 2K games on XB1 and Mafia 3 is like thirty bucks, but the file sizes always gives me pause because I'd really rather have hard media and use my storage mostly for DLC.  For five dollars more I can get a pre-owned copy that I can loan out when I am done.

Yeah, I haven't played Mafia III yet, but the whole point of  eventually playing that game (for me) is getting to murder Klan members in New Orleans.

That is the definition of catharsis.

• Like 3

On 2/17/2017 at 9:50 AM, J.T. said:

There is a sale on all 2K games on XB1 and Mafia 3 is like thirty bucks, but the file sizes always gives me pause because I'd really rather have hard media and use my storage mostly for DLC.  For five dollars more I can get a pre-owned copy that I can loan out when I am done.

I'm not sure if it's different on XB1 but on PS4 the game disc just installs the whole game anyway.  Mafia 3 is about 45GB.  Can't wait for the new firmware update that finally allows external drives.

Finally got finished with Mortal Kombat 9 (meaning I've done story mode, and seen everyone's endings in Arcade Ladder). From which I can conclude that anyone who bitched about Bo Rai Choi being a DLC character in MKX clearly doesn't know shit about Mortal Kombat. Also, Cyber Sub Zero's finish doesn't have any narration, but from what I can gather it's one of the 'Killing Shao Khan allowed him to take over this fighter, leading to him taking over Earthrealm and winning in the end' ones. Which happen in the strangest places, with the second tier good guys but not the tweeners or heels. In Shang Tsung's finish, he turns babyface and has to kill a heel Liu Kang.

Now playing Last of Us: Left Behind. It's better than Mortal Kombat 9 (apples are better than oranges. Everything can be compared to everything else). It's just frustrating when you stealth all the way through a section to find it has a noisy exit so you should have killed everything anyway... and now you're trapped with no escape.

Friend of mine gifted me his extra key for Stardew Valley after buying the recent charity bundle. I've been playing it ever since and I'm hooked. I love its charm and setting. I can see me being in for a long haul on this one. 

Given its success and polish, I am utterly baffled at how terrible the controls are. At least for gamepad. Half the buttons don't work, the "map" button brings up something else half the time, and god forbid you try to reconfigure the buttons. It sits there and tells you every button is already in use. No kidding! Good grief. I ended up downloading Joy2Key to get the buttons to mostly do what I want.  

One of the indie games in the Freedom Bundle I knew nothing about but looked fun was Chroma Squad. The premise is hilarious and good: A bunch of stuntmen working on a Power Rangers TV show get pissed off they are getting no credit for the work they do to make the show popular, so they quit to start their own knockoff show. The game is so far a fairly basic tactical turn based RPG where you play out the big fights from each "episode". I only played for a couple hours so far (enough to do the first "season"), but it's a fun game that actually uses the faux-16-bit look correctly and accurately, and a great love letter to campy TV.

This will tell you everything about weather this game is for you or not. The first boss is a guy wearing a cardboard box and boxing gloves, named Cardboard Boxer.

17 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

I'm not sure if it's different on XB1 but on PS4 the game disc just installs the whole game anyway.  Mafia 3 is about 45GB.  Can't wait for the new firmware update that finally allows external drives.

Yeah - I don't know what JT is talking about. The whole game installs on an XBONE too because trust me I would rather all of GTA V had stayed on the disc

I got my new fancy phone so most of this is phone games I have been itching to try for a while.

DANDY DUNGEON [4] - Disclosure: I am a moderator in the twitch chat of the dude who translated it and that's how I heard about it.

It's a real cool phone game where you have to trace your way through dungeons and it's super absurd and I wish I could play more of it but it just accidentally tread upon a powerful phobia of mine and I snap uninstalled it. Since it's so unlikely that anyone else here has the same phobia, I strongly recommend the game.

FIRE EMBLEM HEROES [3] - This game is fun enough and it's hooks are weird enough that I recognize it's EXCEPTIONALLY well made and I still don't trust it. I know the Pay Wall is going to show up like it got dropped from the heavens in front of me. It is exactly as much tactics as I ever want to deal with in a tactics game.

BAIKOH [4] - I am CONSTANTLY in the hunt for new kinds of puzzle games, and this is exactly what I'm looking for. It's a combination gem clearing/typing game. It's absolutely free on phones. It's currently beta testing a versus mode. Play this game.

MONSTER HUNTER GENERATIONS [4] - is monster hunter. It's weirdly both the easiest and hardest ones to pick up. Honestly, since For Honor emerged into my life, I dont know how much I'll be playing this, but, so it goes.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:50 AM, RIPPA said:

Yeah - I don't know what JT is talking about. The whole game installs on an XBONE too because trust me I would rather all of GTA V had stayed on the disc

I have not owned an XB1 long enough to notice that.  My only "pure" XB1 game is my digital copy of GoW4 I got with the bundle, so that had to be a full install because there is no media to own.

I will have to do some research to see if I can monkey with the HDD settings to avoid full installs otherwise I will constantly be deleting shit off my TB drive.

I hooked up the ol' OG Xbox in part to play Def Jam: FFNY. 

It baffles me that after the N64 wrestling games and then this, AKI/SynSophia couldn't carve out a niche just doing great fighting games, licensed or no. This is an extremely deep game with fantastic customization, my love of the music and visual aesthetic aside. I have no idea what made EA ditch these guys to make something as shitty and shallow as ICON, nor do I know why AKI couldn't ever get any more work doing some sort of wrestling or arena fighting game series.

Maybe people just don't like arena fighters, actually. Bushido Blade is dead, Power Stone is dead, and so is Def Jam. What a shame. 

On 22/02/2017 at 3:55 PM, AxB said:

This Walking Dead season one is clunky as hell. Are all Telltale games like this? It seems like it's a videogame designed to appeal to people who don't play videogames. Also, I was just playing Last of Us right before and Walking Dead really suffers by comparison.

So I posted that in the wrong thread a few days ago, and I stand by it. But as it turns out, Telltale games, as well as being more tales you are told than games you play as such, are also Trophy farms. I'm used to the thing where like in Dragon Age, there's a trophy for saving the werewolves and a trophy for saving the elves, but it's an either/or decision and you have to play it twice. Whereas literally every trophy in this is: Chapter One Part One, Chapter One Part Two, Chapter One Part Three until you get the Platinum for completing the whole thing once.

So, if you have a friend who has made fun of you for trophy hunting and having platinums, and you find out they're playing a Telltale game, it means they either have to quit before they finish, or end up looking like a hypocrite eventually.