DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

33 minutes ago, BL88 said:

LARA CROFT GO [4] - This was almost a 3. The last large-scale world gets kind of unfun, but the rest of the game is just so clever and neat that, for the dollar i paid for it (shout out to unexpected sales) I had an overall great time with it. 

I got an email over the weekend that all these Ubisoft Go games were free (not sure it still applies)

Lara Croft Go, Hitman Go, Deus Ex Go (or whatever it is called) and the new Hitman one Hitman Sniper

Not sure if it was for everyone or just dopes like me on their mailing lists

Of course it also seemed to be for non-Apple folks

I've been watching a Let's Play on Youtube of Subnautica, an early access title, the last couple days. It looks seriously amazing. Putting a build/survive game 95% underwater gives it a totally different vibe to anything else I've ever seen. But I hear it still has some stability issues. Has anyone actually tried it yet?

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Double Dragon II part 2: The Budget Release

Man, less than a year after River City Tokyo Rumble, this is really disappointing.  How the fuck does a game built on NES sprites have screen tearing? Why are there no throw/hairpull moves? Why are the two Yakuza women who run the Renegades' Japan operations and talk about never having been to the US named Casey and Shannon? Why does Burnov disappear when you've beaten him, but never done his "oh shit" disappear-and-reappear gimmick?

You can do the hairpull, but I'm not sure about the throw.  I've only done the hairpull a handful of times; some of the moves seem really random to pull off.

Boring game overall.  The moveset is limited, the game gets cheap in later stages, barely any weapons, and the graphics aren't very good.  Nice music though.

My GoW4 Scout is up to Rank 7 now thanks to two complete 50 Wave Horde completions.  I have 4 card slots and have added Brawling to my skill set. 

I need to buy and scrap more cards so that I can start upgrading my Elite skil, X-Ray.

One of those completions was a miracle run since we had the worst Engineer ever (ie. he would build defenses but would never repair or upgrade anything so I had to do it) and a dumbass Heavy who hogged ammo and waited until the last minute to turn in his power ups to the Fabricator.

Three people added me to their Friend's list yesterday after the Horde victories.

I also got my first ribbon for completing a match where very player was a different class.  One day I will feel brave enough to play something different when I am in an all Soldier or all Engineer group.

*sigh*

Once again I got stuck in a Horde match with an Engineer that did not build.  I had to assume Engineer duties while playing as a Scout which is terribly inefficient and as usual, no one wants to build a turret but everyone wants to use it.. 

I am probably going to have to start playing an Engineer because fate obviously doesn't want me to get my Scout up to Rank 10 and I am gaining enough map familiarity to figure out where the best spots to set up base camp are.

As for the match on Saturday, my team of misfits made it up to Wave 50 but we kept team wiping because my dumb teammates preferred to hold up in areas of the map where the Boss couldn't reach them, but then they'd run out of bullets and die while making an ammo run.

Meanwhile I am rope a doping and using guerilla tactics to thin the herd and eventually die trying to revive teammates who drop in the worst possible spots on the map surrounded by enemies.  People started rage quitting one by one and I was the second to last to go.  The last dude standing being the guy who usually died first and got everyone else killed trying to rescue him.

Finished up Sleeping Dogs and yeah, that game was fucking awesome, especially for $5.  Yakuza 0 is next after I plow through the Year of the Snake DLC (which is not nearly as fun as I was hoping, after enjoying the heck out of the cop missions in the regular part of the game).

• Like 1

I corrupted a Football Manager 2016 file that I put 150 hours into accidentally (actually, I think it's the game's fault because I saved it long before I cut off my computer, come on). 

I had my club just right. I got them to the FIFA Club World Cup. I had three young superstar DPs all under long-term contracts.

Now I have nothing. 

I must mourn. 

I did have autosave on at one point, but I must have accidentally cut it off. A simple weekly autosave would have saved me some time. As it is, my last save in another slot was over a month ago. 

Hello darkness, my old friend. 

I finished WATCH DOGS 2 yesterday and...man, I don't even know how to make sense of that game.

Like, how does a sequel improve on its predecessor in almost every way (great characters! A more focused open world with less random, broken bullshit to do!) yet somehow be LESS fun to play overall?

The enemy AI in this game is punishing.  Their line of sight is fucking absurd.  They don't miss anything, and the moment they detect anything is amiss, they start chucking grenades and calling in relentless waves of reinforcements.  So you end up caught in this Catch 22: playing with stealth is difficult to the point of being anti-fun, but you also can't completely forego stealth because you're always overmatched in firepower and death is almost assured in an open firefight.

And why, oh why, does Marcus's stealth takedown animation take eight fucking years? 

On top of that, most missions don't have checkpoints, not even when there are multiple objectives.  Yeah.  So one screw up in the late game missions, and you're fucked.  Prepare to go insane as you get locked into replaying the same missions over and over for an hour.

And while the introduction of the RC drones are neat, they quickly turn into the Batmobile in ARKHAM KNIGHT, where you're like, shit, does the whole game really need to be built around this?

• Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 3:31 PM, EVA said:

I finished WATCH DOGS 2 yesterday and...man, I don't even know how to make sense of that game.

Like, how does a sequel improve on its predecessor in almost every way (great characters! A more focused open world with less random, broken bullshit to do!) yet somehow be LESS fun to play overall?

Yeah, I briefly played the free sample play over the weekend and hated it.

I've spent some more time with Sleeping Dogs. I tried playing it when it was a free giveaway on 360, but I put it down after only a few hours. I bought the Definitive Edition for five bucks a couple weeks ago. 

I appreciate that this game is set in Hong Kong, which is really different, aesthetically. Beyond that, however, this game commits the cardinal sin of being painfully dull. The Arkham/Assassin's Creed combat has a couple of additions to it to try and delineate it from those games, but it's still basically the same paint-by-numbers combat that gets old after your hundredth combat interaction. The driving is mediocre, and the undercover-cop John Woo/Andrew Lau-type story is pretty bland. The missions aren't exactly memorable so far, either.

There's no there there. I know that the folks at this site like it a whole lot, but I think that you can pretty much slot it right in next to every other mediocre open-world game that might have been better if it were not open world. 

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I appreciate that this game is set in Hong Kong, which is really different, aesthetically. Beyond that, however, this game commits the cardinal sin of being painfully dull.

The cardinal sin that this game commits is that the protagonist is an actual protagonist instead of an anti-hero. 

If you are an immersion junkie, the free roam element of these games is a lot more fun when your morality is a bit on the greyish side.

• Like 1

The missions get a lot better later in the game.  The gunfighting gets really good.

I agree on the driving being not all that exciting.  I usually fast traveled as much as I could, but I usually do that with most open world games.  I'm playing through Mafia III now and there isn't a fast travel option and it's getting really old driving way across the map just to trigger a mission.

I liked the hand to hand fighting - mostly I tried to use the weapons/environmental kills a lot - but you do get pretty overpowered, so there's not much challenge.

The story is kind of meh, but TBH I don't really pay much attention to stories in games.  If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch a movie.  It works for what it is.  It would have been more interesting if they had actually gone with real Hong Kong actors and storyline as was the case when it was True Crime Hong Kong.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

The cardinal sin that this game commits is that the protagonist is an actual protagonist instead of an anti-hero. 

If you are an immersion junkie, the free roam element of these games is a lot more fun when your morality is a bit on the greyish side.

You don't have to punch an old lady in the face just because she's there, dude

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

To be fair, even though the story ends how it does, Wei is pretty damn shades of grey throughout the whole story the deeper in he gets.

14 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

You don't have to punch an old lady in the face just because she's there, dude

Sorry but If I am driving a hooptie and I pull up next to your $100,000 sports car at a traffic light, you can expect to get carjacked especially since game mechanics says I have a really good chance of getting away with the crime.

And yeah Wei's morality may be a bit greyish, there is no way he should even think of killing other policemen, and yet you can get on an in-game leader board by killing the most cops.  Screw that.

If you are a protagonist of high moral fiber, game mechanics should reward good behavior and if you are an anti-hero then game mechanics should reward grey morality.  This is why GTA5 works so well.

• Like 1