DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

I just do not have the reaction times that I used to.  I spent all last night playing Road Rash III on one of those retro SNES systems and just getting destroyed by car after car because I wasn't quick enough to get out of the way.  Road Rash really still is everything I want in my racing game - it has just the right upgrade system for someone who knows next to nothing about cars.  

I haven't dove into Prison Architect since I got it from a Humble Bundle months ago. I played through the tutorial in the beginning then moved onto other games.

I keep meaning to jump in and play some and might give it a go here soon with that write up on it.

Seems like it could be fun!

River City Tokyo Rumble!  After 30 years of Nekketsu games getting Americanized, it's a little weird to see the Japanese school uniforms kept intact.  Of course, Kunio and Riki talk like greasers from a shitty American movie, because of course they do.  Still having fun with it.

Holy crap.  The search for CoG Tag #7 nearly made me rage quit Gears of War 3.  It's a fucking 3PS with fairly linear maps. 

You shouldn't need to use GTA5 levels of collectable finding skills to locate these things.

I think it's no secret to Steam users that there's a lot of bloatware-to-outright-shovelware that's been released the last couple years, but on the surface, this appears to take the cake. We may have a real all-timer here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/581620/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_2

I have so many questions, starting with why does this exist? I read all three available English reviews. If they are to be taken at face value, and there is no reason to think they are not, this may very well be the worst genuinely released game ever made. The best part, check the responses to the top two, the developer (as far as I can tell from his profile, some Russian kid that bought GameGuru, threw this together, and somehow got it released) openly apologized this even exists. How is this on Steam? How is this real?

The developer made up a couple badges, by the look of it in MS Paint, and awarded them to himself in the awards section.

Steam is a real business. This is real. How is this on Steam? It's not a greenlight title, so it wasn't like one of those "vote for my meme and you get a free key" things. It was just brought into existence, and somehow released to the public, by what appears to be a totally random Russian adolescent.

I am simultaneously utterly fascinated and appalled. I almost want to buy this just to say I own it before it gets yanked from the store and becomes the stuff of legend.

It's 2:31 in the AM. What am I doing with my life.

• Like 2

Act 2 of Gears of War 3 is complete and I unlocked the Pack Rat achievement for "finding" ten collectables thanks to sweet sweet YouTube.

I am also halfway through the Judge, Jury, Executioner achievement (12 unique executions down and 12 to go). 

I am getting better at remembering to aim for the knees when fighting the Locust and swapping weapons before smashing a prone opponent.  I was so proud of myself when I finally pulled off a Curbstomp Execution.

I am not really pressed about getting the JJE achievement.  All I want to do is finish the game with all collectables found and get this title off of my Pile of Shame.

I love how looking around at info for the NES Classic to think about buying one if it ever comes back in stock, I go down the HTPC Rabbit hole.

I'm so going to spend $700 to play all my games on TV, aren't I?

I was going to do that, but then I went looking at Front Ends because I didn't quite dig EmulationStation and it's hand typing all the file paths (and I don't dig Linux), and that led me LaunchBox, when went to BigBox, which then got me looking at doing a HTPC so I can toss in my streaming, BD's, and play my Steam/Origin games on a system better than my laptop on a PC that can do better graphics, so yeah.  

Act III of Gears of War 3 is a wrap.  All collectables "found."

I hate chapters that have mostly Lambent enemies since you cannot use executions on them. 

I scored a Lancer execution on a grub during the big Locust / Lambent attack in the final chapter of this act, but I couldn't manage any more executions thanks to the attacking Lambent and my squad's insistence on shooting any thing that moved in the face at close range with shotguns.

I nearly rage quit during Chapter 3 because I totally brain farted and forgot to pick up the Journal collectable during the fight with the Lambent Berserker. 

Fortunately I had the presence of mind to reboot my console before the game took the next checkpoint.  I was able to revert back to the pre boss fight checkpoint, collect the Journal, and kill the Berserker...again..

Oh, and

Spoiler

RIP, Dom.  You were a good solder, brah.  Alt least you are finally reunited with Maria and your kids, man. :(

8 collectables to find in Act IV and 19 or so in Act V.  This could turn out to be a chore.

Hey guys, just a few questions for those who have a Wii U. I've wanted to pick one up for ages, finally grabbed one, what's the deal with the controllers? I have a Wii U controller (Tablet style) some Wii original controllers and a pro controller. Is the pro controller recommended for most games?

Looking forward to playing the Wii Zelda and Mario games.

Edit: Also, what are the Zelda HD remakes like? Are they sufficiently better to get hem again (as I have them on Wii original)

The pro controller is basically the Wii U gamepad with no screen and seemingly endless battery life. I tend to use mine when using off-TV with the gamepad on its stand for more freedom of movement or button mashers where I'm paranoid about wear and tear. With indies or virtual console you may as well go pro but I advise to try retail or first party releases with the gamepad at first because the second screen functions can be more useful than they sound.

Haven't got round to playing either HD remake yet. Wind Waker tidies up the biggest complaints of the original ie the sailing and Triforce hunt. Twilight Princess is like a best of - the Gamecube's map / controls, the Wii's motion aiming and the Wii U's inventory management / graphics. I'm intending to play TP again because I've only played the Wii version and the non-flipped environments alone will freshen things up.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2017 at 1:31 AM, Death From Above said:

I think it's no secret to Steam users that there's a lot of bloatware-to-outright-shovelware that's been released the last couple years, but on the surface, this appears to take the cake. We may have a real all-timer here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/581620/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_2

I started reading your post and thought "wait till DFA sees my example!" Then I saw your example was the one I had in mind. I, too, am baffled that this game exists. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2017 at 4:24 PM, Adam said:

Hey guys, just a few questions for those who have a Wii U. I've wanted to pick one up for ages, finally grabbed one, what's the deal with the controllers? I have a Wii U controller (Tablet style) some Wii original controllers and a pro controller. Is the pro controller recommended for most games?

Looking forward to playing the Wii Zelda and Mario games.

Edit: Also, what are the Zelda HD remakes like? Are they sufficiently better to get hem again (as I have them on Wii original)

have had a Wii-U for a couple years now. my rule of thumb is, Wii game, Wii-mote. U game, gamepad.

i've never used a pro controller nor played the zelda hd remasters

• Like 1

I let Xav persuade me to buy Mortal Kombat 9 (the PS3 one, not MKX). Some of the moves are still the same as they were in MK2 20 years ago (except for there being two buttons for punch and kick instead of one). Took a while to remember to use the D-Pad instead of the analogue stick for beat em ups. My timing is terrible now, and it's not letting me do any Fatalities yet. It's OK, until it's impossible, and then it's not OK.

13 hours ago, AxB said:

I let Xav persuade me to buy Mortal Kombat 9 (the PS3 one, not MKX). Some of the moves are still the same as they were in MK2 20 years ago (except for there being two buttons for punch and kick instead of one). Took a while to remember to use the D-Pad instead of the analogue stick for beat em ups. My timing is terrible now, and it's not letting me do any Fatalities yet. It's OK, until it's impossible, and then it's not OK.

Was your MK2 experience on the Genesis? The arcade had 2 punch, 2 kick and block from day one.

If you're in Story Mode you will never do a fatality. I'd suggest doing an Arcade Ladder or 2 and maybe the first few Challenge Tower stages to learn some basics and get some unlock cash before throwing yourself at the long-but-rewarding story.

Gears Of War 3 is a wrap.  All collectables "found.".

RIP Dr. Fenix.

Now downloading my complimentary copy of Gears Of War 4.  71 GB???? 

I know I am a new XB1 owner because the size of this download freaks me out. 

I will still have about 710 gigs of free space, but I will angst over making sure there is enough HD space for all of the ME Andromeda DLC that I know I will want.