DVDVR Message Board

NXT JANUARY 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On January 4, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Greggulator said:

The show is at The Tower Theater. It's essentially across the street from Philadelphia. David Bowie and Genesis made their U.S. debuts there. Early Bruce played there non-stop. Paul Simon's live album was recorded there.

And now the Tower Theater will get to have a live performance from Elias Sampson.

I'm actually probably going to the Asbury Park show instead so I can hang out w/ my hometown crew.

Tower was a great venue. I went to last year's show there, dead center guardrail. Which was awesome, but a bit of a problem since the ring was on the stage. Still great though, a surprise Aries appearance teaming with Balor and I caught Asuka's shirt. 

It was a good night. 

Based on tonight's tapings, the Takeover card looks to be

Bobby Roode vs Shinsuke Nakamura for the NXT title

DIY vs Authors of Pain for the tag titles

Asuka vs Peyton Royce vs Billie Kaye vs Nikki Cross for the women's title

Andrade Cien Almas vs Roderick Strong

Eric Young vs Tye Dillenger

No Way Jose vs The Drifter

And as expected - the WWE is putting that news all over social media so for those of you super sensitive about spoilers you might want to stop reading this thread because at the end of the day we will be talking about it openly (because no one is waiting 3 weeks for it to happen)

• Like 1

Spoiler

So weird to see Chris come back with his dopey WWE gimmick name when folks like Aries, Joe, Roderick etc got to keep their more famous monikers. 

• Like 1

Glad he's back if he is making more money than he was on the Indies, and MAYBE we get some sort of KOW 2018 with Cesaro.

I have never seen KO King Hero V. Joe, has that happened?

If pushed correctly they have a ton of dudes that can put on some great matches with Nakamura if the plan is to still not move Nak up.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I really have to wonder, if WWE just did this now, to stop wrestling fans from talking about New Japan and giving them something else to talk about?

Doing this right now just doesn't make that much sense, when you have the Nakamura/Roode match coming up. Wouldn't it have made more sense, if he just came out after the Takeover main event or on the first set of tapings after Takeover to challenge the champion?

Yes.

This "hiring spree," or whatever the term was used by Meltz/Alvarez is clearly that. They are getting anyone and everyone, and will probably pay them to sit in NXT for a while. Wasn't Omega talking about this same problem? They are just grabbing dudes to keep them from everyone else?

It would have been a cooler surprise after Nakamura puts down Roode to have KO come out.

For the record - the debut came after what was potentially a dark match

So it is possible they did it just to announce the debut but something entirely different will be done with the person

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Seeing him with Nakamura is really awesome but fuck now it really bothers me that Bobby Roode is most likely taking the belt off of him at the next Takeover show.  

I really doubt that Roode is taking the belt unless Nak in gonna be in the Rumble but with Joe likely debuting there I think Nak debuts at the post WM Raw after dropping the belt to Ohno/Hero at Takeover: Orlando.

2015 for Smash

2014 for JAPW

2005 for IWA Mid-South

2004 for IWC at Accept No Limitations which also was a ROH Title match. This one went 40 minutes

And that is just singles matches. The also faced off a few times during the CZW vs. ROH feud in tag matches

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

I know body doesn't and shouldn't matter, and Hero is great and all, but, man, he looks pretty bad.

Trunks aren't right for him. He needs to dress for his body type. Wearing a singlet would hold some of that in. No more muffin top.

Did Ryback temporarily kill the singlet? Off the top of my head, Damo, Hero, David Finlay, and Trent Seven are all prominent pasty chubby dudes in tiny trunks that would look a whole lot better in a Varsity Club getup. I don't care about dudes being muscular, but yeah, dress for your body type.