DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING GIF THREAD

RIPPA

I was gonna say that David Flair clearly had to be the worst wrestler El Dandy ever faced but then I remembered he worked Ahmed Johnson (and I am not even going to people in Battle Royals)

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I was gonna say that David Flair clearly had to be the worst wrestler El Dandy ever faced but then I remembered he worked Ahmed Johnson (and I am not even going to people in Battle Royals)

I remember that segment/match. Flair convincing El Dandy to lay down for David and that in return, he would get to stay on this side of the border for good. El Dandy getting fed up and hitting David with a stiff right hand causing Flair to go nuts on the apron. While the ref is distracted by Flair, Arn comes in and splatters Dandy with a spinebuster and then David puts on a Luger/Dusty worthy figure-four for the tapout. David was so bad but everyone else worked so hard that the segment was fairly entertaining.

11 hours ago, Ryan said:

I'm sure it was planned and they want Shibata to wrestle the way he does because of the whole allusions to Inoki strong style bring the fight crap. Too bad he got his ass kicked for a bunch of years in MMA.

On MVP's podcast he talked about the times he faced Shibata.  He said that Shibata was beating the crap out of him (and others on that tour) so much NJ staff had to ask him to tone it down.

Which makes me wonder if that's his toned down style how brutal was he before being told that.

And @El Dragon if he was doing this in a previous time where concussions weren't such a hot-button topic I think I'd love his style.  But knowing what he know now I just can't get into him.

Or that's what NJ staff just told MVP. "Lay it in stiffer, Shibata-san. Show the gaikokujin what true strong style is." They even used the polite term instead of gaijin! Very clever.

which is why I never got Shibata. Portrayed as a tough guy solely because he works stiff like that automatically makes him a double-hard bastard, yet he absolutely fucking sucks in a legit setting. Japan logic I guess  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just learn to work you fucking mark!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

WijHKX9.gif

Reminds me of a local indy spot I saw - first TCW show in Tulalip, they're using an older ring and the ropes are just total shit.  Dropkick Murphy from ECCW took the same type of backward over-the-top-rope bump as in the GIF, but the ropes didn't support him at all, and he ended up landing headfirst on the edge of the apron with an audible THUNK.   Thankfully he was okay, other than rubbing his head dazed on the floor and yelling "...OW!"

On 2-1-2017 at 11:00 AM, RIPPA said:

March 95

The match is from the WAR Jr Heavyweight Title tourney

It was when the WWF and Tenryu were on good terms again as also on that card was Tenryu vs Yokozuna

Slightly related: I remember seeing Waltman in Japan (probably NJPW) when he was billed as Lightning Kid and he fought Eddie Guerrero (as himself rather than as Black Tiger). I don't recall too much of it, except that Kid did some crazy dives and a lot of those really stupid gestures like in the GIF above. I've never been able to find that match again.

19 minutes ago, Roman said:

Slightly related: I remember seeing Waltman in Japan (probably NJPW) when he was billed as Lightning Kid and he fought Eddie Guerrero (as himself rather than as Black Tiger). I don't recall too much of it, except that Kid did some crazy dives and a lot of those really stupid gestures like in the GIF above. I've never been able to find that match again.

Yeah, that was most likely 1993.  It looks like the only time Eddie and Lightning Kid wrestled each other was in the 1993 Top of the Super Juniors tournament in NJPW.  Match date is 6-05-1993.  I can't find it on Youtube or Daily Motion, though.

• Like 1

Looking back on those TOSJ lineups, '91-'93 (the last of the single block tourneys after the first one in '88 that had guys that would be heavies in no time) were loaded. I don't know if '92 is better because it has Negro Casas or if '93 is better because they threw in Malenko and Waltman. Honaga is the only weak link, but then again I've never seen him work so I dunno. And Finlay is in all three! 

On 1/4/2017 at 2:40 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Looking back on those TOSJ lineups, '91-'93 (the last of the single block tourneys after the first one in '88 that had guys that would be heavies in no time) were loaded. I don't know if '92 is better because it has Negro Casas or if '93 is better because they threw in Malenko and Waltman. Honaga is the only weak link, but then again I've never seen him work so I dunno. And Finlay is in all three! 

Honaga is/was solid. Not a ton of charisma and not a big flyer but perfectly fine otherwise. He's no Motegi, put it that way.

I wish I could figure out how to copy Twitter animated GIFS better but the highlight one was Team 2000 and Cheeseburger doing a group photo and ref Tiger Hattori pushing Cheeseburger out of the photo because he doesn't belong :lol:

Funny out of all the ROH guys Cheeseburger is the most over in Japan.  Maybe more over than the Bucks

24 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I wish I could figure out how to copy Twitter animated GIFS better but the highlight one was Team 2000 and Cheeseburger doing a group photo and ref Tiger Hattori pushing Cheeseburger out of the photo because he doesn't belong :lol:

Funny out of all the ROH guys Cheeseburger is the most over in Japan.  Maybe more over than the Bucks

Just copy the URL of the tweet and put it in your post. It'll do it automatically.

On 5-1-2017 at 9:54 PM, Pete said:

Honaga is/was solid. Not a ton of charisma and not a big flyer but perfectly fine otherwise. He's no Motegi, put it that way.

The very first match I ever saw was Liger VS Black Tiger (Eddie Guerrero), so immediately I was a huge fan of both, especially Liger. He also won every single match he was in for a long time... Then all of a sudden he lost two matches to Honaga, who I had never ever seen before (or since), and my little heart was crushed. I still hate Honaga for that, although those two matches were the only ones I've ever seen him in.