JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

God - I have no memory of Kendrick in TNA

That is probably a good thing

This originally aired on TNA telly:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

The video tribute where every black male working in the fed says that JYD was their main influence will infuriate me.

Are you implying Kofi didn't develop his style from watching JYD?

I kinda wish I thought WWE running the Akeem dealie during Black History Month was the most racially insensitive thing they've ever done, but I'm sure I'd think of something worse if I thought about it (Pretty Ricky comes instantly to mind).

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Are you implying Kofi didn't develop his style from watching JYD?

I kinda wish I thought WWE running the Akeem dealie during Black History Month was the most racially insensitive thing they've ever done, but I'm sure I'd think of something worse if I thought about it (Pretty Ricky comes instantly to mind).

Piper in half-blackface 

Saba Simba

Gang Wars, w/ Aryan Brotherhood analogs as the de facto babyfaces 

Jesse and Bobby throwing every Hispanic stereotype in the book at Tito throughout the 80's

just to name a few...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

God - I have no memory of Kendrick in TNA

That is probably a good thing

I remember at one point they had him in the ECW faction that we're not allowed to call ECW because WWE owns the name...

For awhile there, they had him doing this weird sort of hippie guru gimmick.  I seem to recall him doing this weird promo when they were on tour in like Dubai or something where he was doing a promo out in the desert in front of a camp fire.

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm still trying to figure out why the company prefers Charlotte over Sasha. I guess you can debate their in-ring work but as an overall package, Sasha sells a ton of merch, I always see little girls dressed up as her, she has over 2 million IG followers, she gets good reactions despite booking and she stated in an interview the only time she's ever really missed significant time because of injury was not her fault, it was something to do with a ref.

Charlotte stands 5'10" with blonde hair and blue eyes.  She's well-spoken in interviews and her daddy is Ric Freakin' Flair, the man her mentor idolizes. She's homogenized for the morning talk show circuit with no changes needed and has a built-in, 2nd generation wrestler story.

It's not a knock on Charlotte.  She's doing well for herself.  But she checks off a lot of boxes that WWE likes.

35 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Charlotte stands 5'10" with blonde hair and blue eyes.  She's well-spoken in interviews and her daddy is Ric Freakin' Flair, the man her mentor idolizes. She's homogenized for the morning talk show circuit with no changes needed and has a built-in, 2nd generation wrestler story.

It's not a knock on Charlotte.  She's doing well for herself.  But she checks off a lot of boxes that WWE likes.

This all makes sense, she is a safe choice to be the face of the division.  But much like Bayley, I think Sasha has more of a mainstream casual fan appeal and potential. Just my opinion of course but for me Charlotte is a performer who has a chance to be a big star in wrestling while Bayley and Sasha have a chance to be big stars in wrestling and beyond.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Shawn Stasiak couldn't be reached for comment, as there's a backup in the drive-thru and the McFlurry machine is on the fritz again.

Stasiak makes a good living as chiropractor now. 

Came across this, Taker's Ability To Absorb Punishment score seems dubious.
C185cBBWQAAsu5c.jpg

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

Excuse me?

She never said Sasha wasn't good in interviews. She's just listing things she thinks all add up for Charlotte. If she was good in interviews and looked like Fabulous Moolah, um, currently, she might not get too far, mostly the lack of fresh brains.

16 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I had a Buff Bagwell growth chart as a kid, but it didnt fit on my wall because I had sloped ceilings, so it was just a super homoerotic looking (not that there's anything wrong with that) Buff Bagwell poster with a ruler running up the side of it..

...to measure how erect you got?

12 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Was JYD not friendly to his fellow African American wrestlers?

No.  From what I've heard and read, JYD was one of the most respectable and decent human beings that you could expect to meet in the business.  I don't have an issue with JYD getting his due during WWE Black History Month. 

I just wish that the WWE would be a bit more serious about their role as historian, especially when February rolls around, since they own the majority of the significant tape libraries.