DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

A couple of my friends got Blue Peter badges in the early 80s. They got invited on because they wanted to know who got to eat the leftover cake mix out of the bowls when they baked on Blue Peter... so they wrote in to Jim'll Fix It, and got on to Blue Peter via that.

I was pretty jealous at the time. Not so much now though.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AxB said:

A couple of my friends got Blue Peter badges in the early 80s. They got invited on because they wanted to know who got to eat the leftover cake mix out of the bowls when they baked on Blue Peter... so they wrote in to Jim'll Fix It, and got on to Blue Peter via that.

I was pretty jealous at the time. Not so much now though.

I... have no idea what you're talking about.

• Like 6

Jim'll Fix It was presented by Jimmy Saville. Umm... imagine if you'd had a friend at High School who'd been really good at American Football, to the point that he was recruited by Penn State, and you'd been jealous that he got to meet the famous Jerry Sandusky. It's like that.

3 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I... have no idea what you're talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Peter_badge

Blue Peter was a magazine type show for kids. A 4:30pm staple for kids tv, Monday through Friday from the late sixties all the way up to the current day. It is INCREDIBLY British. Imagine a British version of Mr Rogers, but with three hosts, in a live studio with pets and a garden outside. It focused on good things that parents could do with kids, fun features about sports and art competitions. shit to get kids to sit down and be creative with mum or to go out and try sports or cook in the kitchen with the family. Stuff these days which would be derided as "gay" by your average 14 year old. it also didnt pull punches in youth development. When the pets died, they didnt skirt around the issue, they confronted the talk about death head on so kids could understand.

And part of the attraction was they had these badges - innocuous looking things. But they were coveted. If you had one, people knew that you'd done some good shit for your community as a youngster, you'd completed a massive feat, or you'd come through some serious hardship and raised money for a charity.

Thing was, the badge opened doors to all sorts of attractions...for free. National museums, theme parks, the lot. Which, for a kid of about 8 or 9 was fucking mindblowing. 

Yes, I freely admit theres a ton of nostalgia around the mythos of the Blue Peter Badge, but because they were literally like rocking horse shit, it's still a mark out moment for me to see these things. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Shush lads, you're giving the game away! We could've had a unique carny code on this board

A friend was reading the board over my shoulder one time and safe to say I think we've got enough of our own vernacular already. On the other hand, he'll never know what a Hollywood Cibernetico is so maybe he comes out on top.

• Like 1

Blue Peter sounds like a program that was wildly popular in Arizona called Wallace & Ladmo. It aired out of Phoenix for about three decades, wrapping up its run in...1990, I think. I was just starting school when it went off the air. When Nigel and Cole talked about their Blue Peter badges, it reminded me of the Ladmo Bag: It was basically just a brown grocery bag stamped with the show logo and had toys and snacks inside. 

Wallace & Ladmo's relevant to the wrestling discussion because the show's creator, Wallace (one of the left) worked as an announcer in the Arizona territory. He referred to the show's antagonist, Gerald (the Li'l Lord Fauntelroy character in the middle) as its "heel." 

bill_thompson_wallace_ladmo_wallace_watc

5 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Is Blue Peter not still going?  Where does the Doctor Who cast go to awkwardly interact with kids now?

One of the current hosts was on camera as a ringsider at the WWE UK Championship Tournament (night 2). So yeah, it's still going.