DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

Note: I think Hero actually has a health issue regarding his weight, a legit one. Could be a bunch of things. That or he loves cake. Oddly, it hasn't hampered his agility at all.

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Note: I think Hero actually has a health issue regarding his weight, a legit one. Could be a bunch of things. That or he loves cake. Oddly, it hasn't hampered his agility at all.

I always wondered what the deal with Adrian Adonis weight gain was. No matter how much weight he put on, he never lost athleticism. Or Kevin Owens for that matter. 

I saw a picture of him a decade ago and he was not nearly as heavy. I just assumed if you gain a lot of weight you would be slower and less athletic. 

Hero was near 300 in the early 2000s and was actually below 200 near the end of his first NXT run. I couldn't tell you what he weighs now, but I'd figure 240-260. Kevin Owens is probably a good 80 lb heavier than he was when he first came on the scene. He was quite rotund at times on the indies. More so than now. He used to do 450s and such.

• Like 1

Ohno's going for the NXT title, not the 205 Live belt. Let him eat cake.

Meanwhile, Week 2 of Norton's Bullet Club sees him, Meng and Liger going after the NEVER 6 man titles. The logic behind this booking is wholly based on thinking it would just be fun to see those 3 guys with titles in 2017.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

To be fair, Vicious & Delicious were becoming a fun tag team before Bagwell's neck injury.  Between that and the constant New Japan tours, Bagwell was becoming shockingly competent.

I am old and senile.  My hate for Buff Bagwell is irrational even though he was a good tag wrestler.  I am just standing outside yelling at clouds.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is Scorpio still working the indies? His Wiki said he was involved in that con-artist lawyer's lawsuit against WWE and was "undergoing neurological treatment"; this is from last November. 

He seems to only work Fighting Evolution Wrestling out of Florida (JB Cool's fed) and then only in Canada.

But he definitely worked a match in Dec.

45 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am old and senile.  My hate for Buff Bagwell is irrational even though he was a good tag wrestler.  I am just standing outside yelling at clouds.

Nah.  Bagwell had maybe a year or two of goodness, a bunch of meh up until that point, and has been shit since.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ryan said:

He addressed it in an AMA a while back.  Both thyroid issues and back issues.  

In developmental you're weighed every Monday. You're told it's not so much about a "number" than it is a certain look. At my fittest in WWE I weighed in at 197 (I was typically in the 220 range and had just finished a juice fast). This was a month before I was terminated which makes it ABSURD that some cling on to the rumor that I was let go because I was LAZY and SKIPPING WORKOUTS. Yes, there was a time in early 2013 where I was sat for a number of months to motivate me to get into better shape. I did. Those who are unaware can watch my last few NXT matches: Harper x2, Breeze, Rusev.

It was actually hard to gain any weight there because of how much we worked out, how much we trained & how often we had shows. Ask some of the guys about the training schedule at the PC in Summer 2013.

I've definitely put on weight. My weight was on a slow incline for the first 9-10 months I was back. I threw my back out last summer (brutal back spasms.. muscular, nothing spinal or disc related). This took a long while to rehabilitate from. I only took one booking off and maintained a full schedule of 10ish shows a month. Should I have taken a few extra bookings off? Debatable.

I was tipping the scales at 260 at one point. I'm now fluctuating from 235-245 w/ a small goal of losing another 20ish. I actually had some blood work done 2 weeks back. I was aware of a mild thyroid issue from late 2011 but my TSH came back this time at 9.23. My Dr. wrote "Wow" on my charts, heh. I'm starting prescriptions this week & eager to see how this improves my overall condition.

What you look like is calories in v. calories out right? Sometimes the chemistry decides to throw some salt in your gas tank.

Re: the fat shaming.. With wrestling I also quote Jimmy Jacobs: "If it's good, it's good." Same goes for humor w/ me. If it's funny, it's funny. I don't mind being the butt of jokes. I'm often laughing at myself. I'm clearly okay being in the public eye. I don't feel the need for exterior validation. It's nice to have but, at the end of the day, I have to be happy with myself.

It's difficult to train & eat right on the road but it CAN be done. It's about establishing habits and patterns. If you want it enough (regardless of what 'it' is) you'll find a way to make it happen.

• Like 1

I actually liked Stars and Stripes (Bagwell/the Patriot) a fair bit.

Buff was a better than average tag wrestler and a great toadie in the nWo when they were having him second Big Poppa Pump.  When they tried to push him outside of that range, ooofff...  

The other problem with Buff is that bookers frequently thought he should be pushed as a babyface because he was good looking (and he did have a good babyface look when he first debuted, before he grew the goatee).  Problem is, Buff's natural personality comes off as a little sleazy (in shoots, anywhay.  Never met him) and he was better as a heel

I really thought the American Males were badly miscast as a babyface tag team.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Thing I noticed about Bagwell is that he was a pretty good tag wrestler.  He was shit singles, but he was really solid in tags.

He was REALLY fun when he worked New Japan. Always remember his first TV match there where he did a clean break and yelled "YES, THANK YOU" in perfect Japanese. The crowd lost their fucking minds, it was awesome.

55 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I actually liked Stars and Stripes (Bagwell/the Patriot) a fair bit.

Buff was a better than average tag wrestler and a great toadie in the nWo when they were having him second Big Poppa Pump.  When they tried to push him outside of that range, ooofff...  

The other problem with Buff is that bookers frequently thought he should be pushed as a babyface because he was good looking (and he did have a good babyface look when he first debuted, before he grew the goatee).  Problem is, Buff's natural personality comes off as a little sleazy (in shoots, anywhay.  Never met him) and he was better as a heel

I really thought the American Males were badly miscast as a babyface tag team.   

TBH, I always wondered why the American Males were pushed as babyfaces. 

Both Riggs and Bagwell have that slightly sleazy quality that you mentioned and the Chippendales ring attire the AMs had going on was tailor made for a heel gimmick.

Bagwell made for a better heel when he got older, but he was a really great face in peril when he was a young lion teaming up with Scorpio and The Patriot. 

I think I started hating him when he began to mail it in during his run with the nWo.  The very mention of Buff Daddy makes my skin crawl.

14 hours ago, zev said:

Ohno's going for the NXT title, not the 205 Live belt. Let him eat cake.

From the looks of that photo, Ohno has eaten several cakes.

I hate you, Zev.  Meng and Scott Norton are now my favorite WCW tag-team that never happened.

Vicious and Vicious---er--er--er or something.

Now I have to get a copy of WWE 2K17 and sim this team on my new XB1.

• Like 1