DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

13 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Classic WU bit. (Funny you ref'd this. He was on @midnight tonight.)

His "Anal Herschieser" quote made me spill vodka on my laptop last night. 

13 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Jericho is the king of carrying feuds when the other guy is off TV. His feud with CM Punk was 90% him too.

Jericho can carry a feud with people not even in the promotion. 

20100821120_large.jpg

I'm pretty sure I still have Goldberg/Raven for the US title on a VHS somewhere off of the original broadcast. Raven had such a great run, especially considering in a shoot he said literally every time him and the Flock were sitting in the crowd he was drinking while watching the show, to the point he eventually got pancreatitis. Everyone is loving the Miz doing more with less and Raven was one of those guys that was a master at that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Roman came off pretty good just now on First Take. It's still weird to see ESPN pushing WWE.

Last time I knew, when you do things strictly for money, the word prostitute got thrown a lot.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

What are you talking about? I loved the sign gimmick.

No, just... no. I wanted that oiled up roid boy to get his ass handed to him so bad. Him and Buff Bagwell should have been forced to team and get beaten up by the Faces of Fear around the loop. Then Lodi should have been put in a feud with Scott Norton a la the Cat so he could get smashed some more. 

The answer to Raven not getting a better spot is Vince. Remember, "Who the fuck hired Raven?!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Hardly anyone talks about his WWF run, but Raven was working his ass off then.  He deserved better than a lower-midcard spot.

Raven and Rhyno had what was easily the best hardcore title match at Backlash 2001 IIRC. I believe it was on the same card as the awesome Dean Malenko/Scotty 2 Hotty light heavyweight title match.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

No, just... no. I wanted that oiled up roid boy to get his ass handed to him so bad. Him and Buff Bagwell should have been forced to team and get beaten up by the Faces of Fear around the loop. Then Lodi should have been put in a feud with Scott Norton a la the Cat so he could get smashed some more. 

The answer to Raven not getting a better spot is Vince. Remember, "Who the fuck hired Raven?!"

While Macho Man was taking steph to Jr. Prom a young Raven was out behind the building teaching Shane how to get high.

Neither of these were a good idea. 

51 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Raven and Rhyno had what was easily the best hardcore title match at Backlash 2001 IIRC. I believe it was on the same card as the awesome Dean Malenko/Scotty 2 Hotty light heavyweight title match.

Raven/Rhyno was 2001, and you're absolutely right. That match was absolutely terrific, and my personal favorite from a card that also featured Jericho vs. Regal, Austin vs. Undertaker and Benoit vs. Angle. TNA basically re-ran that match in 2005, and it was just as good then. 

Dean vs. Scotty 2 Hotty was the year before, and that too is a gem. Backlash 2000 was mostly the card Wrestlemania 2000 SHOULD have been, including an awesome Rock-HHH match. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey, look what I found!

Chop - Irish whip - shoulderblock - powerbomb - pin, just like it should be. Vincent holding up the IWGP title is surreal.

Awesome.  And I've been so indoctrinated to WWE TV style that Norton powerbombing Lodi from the "wrong" camera angles (not playing to the hard cam) looks weird now.  Great.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2017 at 4:59 AM, DTTW said:

I'm under the impression this was a call in to the show. Aka something unlikely to ever happen again. Pretty sure Dave or Bryan have talked about wrestling media pretty much being a nonfactor in their press conferences.

It's entirely wrestling media. Triple H does 'em before every Takeover, usually. It's been a running joke that Mike Johnson is usually the first to ask a question.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic