DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

PWI has up a blurb on their ELITE~! site that says that Michael Cole wants to move more into the off-camera production side of things and get away from announcing (where he would be helping to groom new announcers and do other things)

No timetable or anything just that there is a lot of talk about him wanting to make the move.

One would assume that if they do it they wouldn't pull the trigger till after Mania

I remember when they had that behind-the-scenes thing with NXT featuring Xavier Woods, Adam Rose and Cory Graves and being amazed at how smart Michael Cole sounded while discussing wrestlers and storylines and the like, and combined with people talking about how good he was on the WWE UK stuff on the weekend, I have a feeling in a few months we might be going "Man, I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Michael Cole..."  I kind of think NOBODY can be really good with someone shouting "It's not a belt, GODDAMMIT!" and "Make sure you talk about how much he wants to have fun" over a headset.

• Like 2

Any Michael Cole interviews (ie: interviews with him as the subject) I've ever heard or read have been fascinating. He's a company man who sells what he's there to sell because it's his job, and that gets held against him far too much IMO. He's always struck me as a pretty righteous dude. 

I'm not sure I'll miss his presence on television if this is the direction he's headed, but I'd love to hear more from him in the future about his time in the company. A Michael Cole autobiography would likely be the only time I'd consider making a wrestling book a day one purchase. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Any Michael Cole interviews (ie: interviews with him as the subject) I've ever heard or read have been fascinating. He's a company man who sells what he's there to sell because it's his job, and that gets held against him far too much IMO. He's always struck me as a pretty righteous dude. 

I'm not sure I'll miss his presence on television if this is the direction he's headed, but I'd love to hear more from him in the future about his time in the company. A Michael Cole autobiography would likely be the only time I'd consider making a wrestling book a day one purchase. 

Company men tend to be lousy storytellers. He's not gonna dish dirt.

So I'm rewatching the 2009 eps of RAW where Trump bought it from Vince (try watching it again and not getting a real President Camacho vibe from it all).

Is it just me or does the production value seem far less than what it was 8 years ago? Looked a lot crisper and brighter.

(Surprisingly good HHH/Orton last man standing match too with a creative finish too)

• Like 1

I'm not defending nor belittling Bryan yet (not until I hear it) but it seemed like he wanted to ask relevant questions and they had HHH on just to promote a straight-to-DVD movie.  Which makes me wonder why they thought that'd be a good place to mainly promote a movie.  Now if he was told in advance maybe then he'd have more to say about that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Per Darren Young his injury is "Hyperextension which resulted in a traumatic dislocation & fracture of the coronoid process of the right elbow."

Backlund told him not to sign autographs for children unless they can recite that injury verbatim.

• Like 16

Omega's interview with the Observer sure makes it sounds like he'd prefer to stay in New Japan for the next two years before moving to WWE. Said something along the lines that he wants to push the boundaries in terms of physicality while he can and in his matches in a place where he could (New Japan) and have the freedom to do it as he pleases. 

On 1/18/2017 at 5:19 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

Which makes me wonder why they thought that'd be a good place to mainly promote a movie.

This is them playing their little games of power and control. They want to control the narrative and now they can say we tried to "work" with them when they get denied next time. And now if you want access again, it's bow to our whims and do what we say or nothing. It's just the same old manipulation game they always try and run. Problem is, journalist don't give a shit about whatever you want to promote and they're going to talk about what you do either way.

After hearing the segment Bryan could have found a more direct way to talk about the creative process than "Hey, I saw you on Raw in '97 with meat!  How did that come about?!"  But HHH didn't try to steer the conversation to the movie until the end, he sounded fine talking about wrestling.  If he rushed through answers to get to the movie I wouldn't necessarily blame him.

7 million from Vince & Linda.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

After hearing the segment Bryan could have found a more direct way to talk about the creative process than "Hey, I saw you on Raw in '97 with meat!  How did that come about?!"  But HHH didn't try to steer the conversation to the movie until the end, he sounded fine talking about wrestling.  If he rushed through answers to get to the movie I wouldn't necessarily blame him.

The B&V show covered the first Tyson Raw this week. So the BBQ segment was in the forefront of his mind(along with them wondering when/where Michaels was actually injured, since he wasn't selling it.)

• Like 1

Yeah, I heard that episode.  I guess if it's on the mind and you have to say something then fine.  But HHH sure didn't mind talking about it.  I'm hoping in some "Holy shit they got him!" moment they find a way to get him to do a more lengthy interview.