DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Victator said:

No he just made him a viable star. 

Who? Because in 2001/2002 there was nothing but WWE. Was Brock going to become a megastar wrestling for TNA in a barn? UFC was on its ass in 2002. Brock did not have the dedication to make it in Japan, which was in the toilet at the time too. 

So best case scenario, he becomes an also ran fighter in an also ran promotion. Who might have gotten over if the Ultimate Fighter still happens in this alternate universe. But he would not be the star he is now without WWE. 

They've sold you on the idea he's a star, but how is that working out? He didn't usher in an era of new ratings highs and I'm doubtful he moved WWE PPV numbers like he did for the UFC, but I don't have those numbers. It's certainly paid off well for Lesnar. I'd suspect he's more known to a general audience because of the UFC and not the WWE. My mom certainly doesn't know about him because he beat up the Hardy brothers.

Who says it had to be in wrestling or MMA? Brock is a unique physical specimen - no one should tell him how well being a movie star pays - it requires less travel and you don't need to be face punched. If he liked to mindlessly screw women I'm sure there are several companies that would have worked with him. In a world of viral moving images, him being an unknown doing something insane on video would have drawn attention and would have brought a money truck to his door for something. You can't teach what Brock is and you'd have to be blind to miss it. If it wasn't WWE, it would have been someone else, doing god knows what with him. Personally, I think Brock being a comedy foil would get over like a million bucks.

The reason he drew in UFC was because of his time in WWE. He may not have created record high ratings, but he was still pushed as a top star for nearly two years. His first fight was clearly a freak show attraction like Punk, only Brock is not a skinny fat half man. But WWE is what made him any sort of draw. 

Now you are trying to say he could have been a viral video star or an actor. Brock is a fighter and that is it. Since he was not good enough for the Olympics, he would have went to work on a pig farm or something. 

In the end it doesn't matter, because WWE did find him first and they were the only game in town. Unless you think Brock could have been a gifted heart surgeon or astronaut,.

• Like 2

And before anybody puts the blame on Brock for not "moving ratings" or whatever, remember this. At one point the dude was white hot as a heel and he had everybody wanting so bad to cheer him. He was poised for a big time, money making run. 

But like always, WWE is gonna WWE and they properly blew that.

12 hours ago, DTTW said:

I'll take it you didn't read Brock's book. Vince might want to claim Brock as his own, but Brock certainly wouldn't see it that way. Dude would have been a star for whoever ended up marketing him.

Brock also manipulates Vince to get what he wants, not the other way around. All the bs other guys took from Vince, Brock has expressed his ability to not be blinded by it. Hulk Hogan would bend over backwards for a Mania spot. Brock doesn't give a shit as long as the check clears and if it don't, he ain't doing shit. No I'll owe you one pal, for him.

So Heyman manipulates Brock who manipulates Vince. Paul E. really is a mad genius

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Unless you think Brock could have been a gifted heart surgeon or astronaut,.

Once again, something I never knew I wanted to see until now. Brock would have been a bad ass astronaut or heart surgeon.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

If he wanted to, he could be solving mysteries nation-wide out of a van with a talking dog and Rena Mero too. Like you wouldn't watch.

Maybe he's secretly out solving crimes when not wrestling. Any actual cities mentioned on Suplex City t-shirts are where he sorted out a cold case before going back to his hunting lodge that he calls Cabot Cove.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hoarr said:

Anybody know for certain which magazine FlairChops is asking about? I'd looking to buy it on eBay just to scan in this contest page, I can say with 90% certainty that it's not a WCW Wrestling Wrap-Up.

It was definitely an Apter mag, it might have even been Sports Review Wrestling.  Sting wore the winning design at Bash '89, so I can at least narrow it down to the end of 88-early 89 (since those mags were always published WAY ahead of the cover date.)

6 hours ago, Brysynner said:

So Heyman manipulates Brock who manipulates Vince. Paul E. really is a mad genius

I think its more of Heyman, as a man well versed in wrestling politics, shares his information freely, with a guy he could just see the talent in...and make good money from.

Again, if you read the man's book, yeah, maybe he could have been a heart surgeon. Look at the guy - thats a man with a helluva drive. He knows how to put in work, he cant jam a needle in his ass to be a better doctor, but he clearly has a work ethic beyond most people and if applied to anything, success would have likely folllowed. Would have made a great Duke Nukem, or insert comic book role.

When Brock Lesnar wontheNCAA tournament in 2000, everyone assumed he was going to the WWF (as was) because he looked so much like what people thought a WWF Wrestler looked like. But at that time, he was also being courted by WCW and NJPW. So if he never went to the WWF, he'd have gone to the WWE a few years later anyway.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic