DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I also forgot about the fact that it looked for a bit that they were building to Ambrose/Renee vs Miz/Maryse. Cooled down the last two weeks or so, but they could bring that back. Miz could cost Ambrose the IC title in a random match to, say, Baron Corbin. They do the mixed tag match with Ambrose/Miz, then Corbin defends the IC title against Cena, or in the now traditional IC Title Ladder match, and then throw Cena in the Ladder Match as well.

34 minutes ago, The Z said:

Well, if they already changed the Cena/Joe plans, who says they haven't changed their minds about Orton/Wyatt as well and we're actually getting Cena/Orton?

Orton/Wyatt is one of the matches Dave specifically said was locked in (since that is the reason Orton won the Rumble)

Basically - Meltzer said really the two "big" matches left to be settled were Cena's opponent (which seems to be done just not leaked yet) and whatever AJ is doing

Even if it's locked in, they change their minds so many times that it wouldn't be at all surprising to see Cena vs Orton.

Corbin vs Cena makes the most sense to me since Corbin is intent on carving out his place on the roster.

1 hour ago, steve said:

Well, it certainly seemed like they were building to Ambrose/Renee vs. Miz/Maryse, but it seems like they've downplayed Renee's involvement lately.

Meltzer sure would hate Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse though. It would be a Total Divas tie-in and a Bryan/Miz surrogate, too.

Even then, it's a similar question- why HAS WWE stopped using the "If [Babyface] wins, then they/some non-wrestling ally of the babyface gets 5 minutes with [non-wrestling heel who wouldn't normally get their comeuppance]" angle?

Something like that would really help any Miz match get what it needed- heck, it'd even be the second time Daniel Bryan would have a Mania match that'd be helped with the stip [Mania 27 and a possible "If Bryan wins, Jerry Lawler gets five minutes with Michael Cole" stip to replace the outright match.]

Dolph should either be in a multi man ladder match or being eliminated by Crews in the Andre Battle Royal at Mania.

I like Dolph but Cena vs Corbin has more legs on it at this time then Cena vs Ziggler

5 hours ago, DTTW said:

I'll take it you didn't read Brock's book. Vince might want to claim Brock as his own, but Brock certainly wouldn't see it that way. Dude would have been a star for whoever ended up marketing him.

Brock also manipulates Vince to get what he wants, not the other way around. All the bs other guys took from Vince, Brock has expressed his ability to not be blinded by it. Hulk Hogan would bend over backwards for a Mania spot. Brock doesn't give a shit as long as the check clears and if it don't, he ain't doing shit. No I'll owe you one pal, for him.

Brock is wrong. He floundered without WWE before getting into UFC. He needed WWE. 

6 hours ago, Sublime said:

So Joe is getting fed to Rollins and then gets to go into Mania in Limbo with most of the roster. lame.

And please do not give us Cena/Ziggler at Mania Cena and the fans deserve better than that. Corbin that I can work with (it'd be better for the title and a great way to make a new star out of Corbin beating Cena for his first title at Mania but you know creating stars is what WWE is all about.....)

Deliberate DQ, let him have his match at Mania, but not before HHH and Joe try to reinjure his knee. Call back to the cinderblocks or something. 

The point is though, Vince and the WWE made Brock. What might have happened otherwise or what Lesnar says about it is not really relevant to the conversation. That is what happened. And I get he would take the best offer in a second but he is just doing what every part time guy does now, call his own shots. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dewar said:

Cena destroys the Bucks of Youth in a handicap match. No Superkicks or Meltzer Drivers delivered. Would be minus 1 star, but Dave gets drunk and thinks he is in the Tokyo Dome (despite the stadium in Orlando not having a roof).

I'd give such a match at least 3 stars. 4 if Cena does a call back to his UPW days and says beating up the big stars of the Reseda area isn't anything new to him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

He also refused to go back and drop that belt. So the one non-WWE company in the world that could afford him at the time got fucked over.

Brock's a dick. I could tell you that and I've never met the mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Brock is wrong. He floundered without WWE before getting into UFC. He needed WWE. 

31 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

The point is though, Vince and the WWE made Brock. What might have happened otherwise or what Lesnar says about it is not really relevant to the conversation. That is what happened. And I get he would take the best offer in a second but he is just doing what every part time guy does now, call his own shots. 

Vince and Co had fuck all to do with the man growing up and getting into real wrestling. They didn't instruct him to jump security and approach Dana White directly. Someone with half a brain cell would have tapped this guy at some point. It's been done on so many lesser people - Kimbo jumps to mind immediately. It's not genius to market a monstrous human being as a bad ass. Hell Dixie and Co managed to pull of the same thing with Joe. Brock is simply an overpriced hired gun.

If anything Vince is the dumb one here. The return on the investment doesn't seem to equal out and having an assumed steroid abuser on your active roster is a shitty pr thing in light of the fact you were federally investigated over such things.

"COULD'VE" yes...but Vince put Brock on TV first. Would UFC PPVs have a big a bump with Brock Lesnar on the card if he wasn't "Brock Lesnar, ex-WWE superstar"? It's pretty easy to look back and say "someone eventually would've made Brock a star"...but Vince did it first.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Vince and Co had fuck all to do with the man growing up and getting into real wrestling.

No he just made him a viable star. 

22 minutes ago, DTTW said:

They didn't instruct him to jump security and approach Dana White directly. Someone with half a brain cell would have tapped this guy at some point.

Who? Because in 2001/2002 there was nothing but WWE. Was Brock going to become a megastar wrestling for TNA in a barn? UFC was on its ass in 2002. Brock did not have the dedication to make it in Japan, which was in the toilet at the time too. 

So best case scenario, he becomes an also ran fighter in an also ran promotion. Who might have gotten over if the Ultimate Fighter still happens in this alternate universe. But he would not be the star he is now without WWE. 

• Like 2

While we're throwing complete horse crap against the wall let me take a stab. 

Brock born same year as Mark Henry and does World's strongest man and beats him every time. Then what happens to Mark Henry??????UFC????PRIDE?????NJPW????XFL?????

• Like 1

All knowing DVDVR -- can you help with this question posed to me?

Anybody know for certain which magazine FlairChops is asking about? I'd looking to buy it on eBay just to scan in this contest page, I can say with 90% certainty that it's not a WCW Wrestling Wrap-Up.