DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

23 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well, if Brock is getting squashed by Goldberg, I somehow doubt KO does any better.

But hey, here's a better idea. HOW ABOUT FINN VS KO FOR THE TITLE you fucking dolts? Or shit, if Finn still can't go, just do KO vs Jericho for the Universal title. Brock vs Goldberg doesn't need any high stakes. They didn't need higher stakes the first two times they had a match against each other. The stakes are, who is the biggest and best current or formerly roided up beast. It never ceases to amaze me how WWE can overthink something like this and yet so little thought is put into just about everything else.

I agree with you. I want to see Owens vs Balor for the Title. Balor coming back hungry wanting the title he had to give up a day after winning due to injury is basic wrestling storyline 101. Brock vs Goldberg doesnt need anything.

• Like 1

Is it crazy to think that Goldberg beats KO, Brock beats Goldberg and then finally the Big Dog goes over Brock after beating Undertaker in the last all-out blitz to make him the top guy?

On the whole, though, of all the years the belts are really irrelevant for Mania this time around. No matter whom is champion, of the rumored card Brock vs Bill, UT, vs Roman, Cena vs whomever, and AJ vs Shane are going to get the most hype and promotion. Honestly, it's probably better for the belts if they're on two of those eight guys rather than being 5th and 6th from the top. 

So what does the Mania card look like right now?

Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg (Universal Title?)

The Story: Goldberg is Lesnar Kryptonite.

The Purpose: A. It's a Special Attraction match, and B. they're resetting Brock. Since they blew the whole "ending The Streak" thing, they're giving Brock another first; the first guy to beat Goldberg clean in a singles match (at least since Bill Goldberg became GOLDBERG~! back in '98.) And unless the years of coke and roids finally do their job on Vince's heart, Roman is going over Lesnar next year whether you like it or not, dammit...

The Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns

The Story: Roman eliminated Taker from the Rumble, and Taker is pissed.

The Purpose: Half Special Attraction, Half Neverending Roman Reigns Megapush (but the kids buy his merch house show crowds love him yadda yadda yadda...)

Triple H vs. Seth Rollins

The Story: Seth wants revenge because Trips booted him for KO. So Seth is a babyface by virtue of being angry that the heel promoters are no longer giving him unfair advantages. Or something.

The Purpose: The diminishing returns that are the annual "Trips gives someone the rub" match.

John Cena vs. Samoa Joe

The Story: I'm sure it will be the same "indie darling hates Cena 'cause he didn't 'pay his dues' in the indies" stuff as AJ and KO.

The Purpose: Big Match John gets his Big Match.

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jericho

The Story: Best friends explode!

The Purpose: It gives some B+ players something to do.

Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton (World Title?)

The Story: Either Randy's been setting up Bray for betrayal, or Bray saw it coming and betrays Randy first, take your pick.

The Purpose: More B+ players in need of something to do.

AJ Styles vs. Shane McMahon 

The Story: AJ thinks Shane runs SDL unfairly. Shane disagrees.

The Purpose: Puts the company's #1 babyface (sadly not joking) in a match with the one guy who may be able to carry him to something half-decent.

Charlotte vs. Bayley (vs. Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax?)

The Story: Soemthing something Women's Movement.

The Purpose: Put the belt on potential crossover sensation Bayley (and if the parenthetical part is true, do so without Charlotte taking the fall.)

The Big Show vs. Shaquille O'Neal 

The Story: Giants from different sports collide!

The Purpose: Purely a Special Attraction match.

Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal

The Story: It's a tradition 3 years in the making...

The Purpose: A bunch of B+ and lower guys get a payday.

Other than that, probably tag titles and another SDL multi-woman tag on the pre-show. Hopefully they come up with something better for Miz to do than dragging out the Ambrose feud to Mania...

For anyone who's done a VIP signing at Axxess, do they sell out super quick?  I tried getting three this morning, and by the time I had all of them in my cart they were all sold out.  I'm not sure if they went that quick because it was a presale and they only had a limited number allocated.  For the general public on sale date, should I expect them to go just as quick and just pick one and buy it right away or will I have time to grab the ones I want?

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Is it crazy to think that Goldberg beats KO, Brock beats Goldberg and then finally the Big Dog goes over Brock after beating Undertaker in the last all-out blitz to make him the top guy?

It's crazy in a "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome" sense but then we already knew Vince was every kind of crazy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zev said:

Brock beats Goldberg at Mania for the title so WWF beats WCW one last time? Yeah, that sounds about right.

While I agree, wouldn't it make Zuffa or whoever, the TRUE king then? I mean, Brock is a mercenary for Vince, he's not his creation. If another fed came along and offered better, Brock would be out the door before the ink dried.

So now that Vince gets his last huzzah as the undisputed king of his little world, what's his rosebud?

Just now, DTTW said:

While I agree, wouldn't it make Zuffa or whoever, the TRUE king then? I mean, Brock is a mercenary for Vince, he's not his creation. If another fed came along and offered better, Brock would be out the door before the ink dried.

So now that Vince gets his last huzzah as the undisputed king of his little world, what's his rosebud?

He got rid of the Rosebuds.

But maybe in his final hours, whatever decade they occur in, he can be content that he's done more with his life than his momma ever could ever imagine, and that he's got steady work if they want it for his son and daughter. And his doofus son-in-law.

• Like 3

I'm guessing the Samoa Joe/Cena story will be how they broke in at the same time together and Cena went on to superstardom while Joe struggled taking 15 years to finally make it to WWE.

I'm curious where Dean Ambrose, #2 face of SD, is going to fall on the Mania card. Ambrose vs Corbin maybe?

They aren't doing Joe/Cena anymore

Full notes from Meltzer on the WON radio show around Mania (and Fast

- Dave doesn't know who Cena is going to wrestle but he was told by someone who does know who it is that "it is someone that you (meaning Dave) wouldn't celebrate"

- Dave "it was made out to me that it wasn't something that was good news"

- Decided to go with Samoa Joe vs. Seth Rollins for this month (meaning Fastlane)

- Alvarez suggested that they are going to change their mind and it will be Cena/Orton now and Dave said that isn't happening. Meltzer said that the top matches are now locked in (at least the ones they have already started teasing)

- Cena is "pretty much set now". Corbin and Ziggler appear to be the top choices

- AJ Styles still isn't finalized. Obviously there is talk about being against Shane McMahon but nothing is 100% yet

- Undertaker was hurting real bad after the Rumble. His hip is basically shot. Dave "He came back from surgery too quick. That's clear."

- From right now - Main Event of Fastlane is Kevin Owens vs. Goldberg. (Rest of the card based on RAW: Rollins/Joe, Zayn/Jericho for US title, Cesaro/Sheamus vs. Club for tag titles, Reigns/Braun)

- The women's match is weird because they are booking backwards. They should have done this pre-Rumble (instead of Charlotte beating Bayley in the tag match pre Rumble). If they are going Bayley/Charlotte again then Rumble should have been controversial (or a reason Bayley lost instead of just losing) or Bayley should have had to do something to her title shot again. Not have Bayley immediately pin her again. 

- They could (but unlikely) doing Charlotte/Nia at Fastlane since clearly Championships don't matter to them so it doesn't matter that Charlotte is losing random matches (unless Bayley is the challenger but see the point above

- Dave: "I just want championship booked more effectively but that is asking far too much."

That's when the RAW recap started and I am not listening to that again

11 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

How is Brock not Vince's creation?  No one knew who the fuck he was until he got to the WWE.  The only reason he got his big UFC push was because of his WWE run, otherwise he'd be slumming it in the minors with Lashley.

I'll take it you didn't read Brock's book. Vince might want to claim Brock as his own, but Brock certainly wouldn't see it that way. Dude would have been a star for whoever ended up marketing him.

Brock also manipulates Vince to get what he wants, not the other way around. All the bs other guys took from Vince, Brock has expressed his ability to not be blinded by it. Hulk Hogan would bend over backwards for a Mania spot. Brock doesn't give a shit as long as the check clears and if it don't, he ain't doing shit. No I'll owe you one pal, for him.

So Joe is getting fed to Rollins and then gets to go into Mania in Limbo with most of the roster. lame.

And please do not give us Cena/Ziggler at Mania Cena and the fans deserve better than that. Corbin that I can work with (it'd be better for the title and a great way to make a new star out of Corbin beating Cena for his first title at Mania but you know creating stars is what WWE is all about.....)

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Dammit - that is a typo

It should be "wouldn't"

Ah, that expains it. I was trying to figure out how this and the following sentence made sense together and I thought it wasn't good news, because the guy would lose against Cena.

4 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Someone Dave wouldn't celebrate?

So The Revival then?

Cena destroys the Bucks of Youth in a handicap match. No Superkicks or Meltzer Drivers delivered. Would be minus 1 star, but Dave gets drunk and thinks he is in the Tokyo Dome (despite the stadium in Orlando not having a roof).

• Like 2

I haven't given WWE a dime in a solid decade. I think the last time I was a serious watcher, I changed the channel in disgust during "Donald Trump" vs. "Rosie O'Donnell" on Raw, and then peeped in to the shows on occasion but never stuck. The last Mania I watched was 25, at a friend's house. The only times I ever used the Network were a friend's account and free trials.

I already wasn't watching when it got out that the McMahons funded Trump's election, so I'm not exactly boycotting them, but beyond that, I'm starting to think I'm that rare breed of wrestling fans who hates WWE. It feels... weird, I guess? I love going to Chikara shows and whatever local indies in my area, and watching what Japanese stuff I can, but even with so many of my indie favorites getting the call up recently, it's like... bleh to me.

Does anyone else here feel this way?

If Cena/Joe isn't happening now, where does that leave Joe for the Mania card? I guess Balor will be healthy by then, so we could get Joe/Balor.

Even if they open up RAW guys for Cena to face, who is left there for him? Strowman seems like the only possible option.

Outside of a possible IC ladder match, Ambrose currently doesn't have anything. Could do Ambrose/Cena for the IC title, the only title Cena hasn't held?

Well, it certainly seemed like they were building to Ambrose/Renee vs. Miz/Maryse, but it seems like they've downplayed Renee's involvement lately.

Meltzer sure would hate Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse though. It would be a Total Divas tie-in and a Bryan/Miz surrogate, too.