DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

'The Bastard' Dave Mastiff teaches at a primary school for a living.

Like I needed another reason to love the guy.  Because He's Dave Mastiff was already a good enough reason.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Sorry to comment on a live show; but what the shit is with the streaming quality? God damn. 

I saw lots of complaints about this elsewhere. My qual was great until the RR match itself, then it dipped in and out. I was watching on a Samsung Smart TV because I've noticed that it tends to somehow be better than my laptop or PS3. 

On 1/28/2017 at 6:20 PM, Cameron Swift said:

There are a ton of people being affected by Trump's horrific and disgraceful Muslim ban right now, with even green card holders and dual citizens being denied entry to the country. If a citizen of one of those seven countries is legally in the country now, and has to leave for personal or business reasons, they won't be allowed back in the next 90 days. Way, way down the ladder of concerns, my mind drifted to WWE and I wondered if they had any staff that may be affected.

Any ideas? If Sami Zayn has dual citizenship of Syria, he would be one. Likewise Ariya Daivari if he has dual citizenship of Iran. (Had a quick look at their roster and couldn't see others, but there could be more. I don't know the backgrounds of all of their performers.) If that is the case, those two wrestlers either won't be able to leave the country, or if they do, they won't be able to re-enter. WWE has a house show tour of Canada in a couple of weeks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadian-affected-trump-travel-ban-refugees-immigrants-1.3957059

As a fan of Homeland I would love WWE to turn Sami Zayn into a traitor and secretly working for Syria, have him as a Arab Sympathiser, would give Zayn more edge as he aint getting any further up the card then he is if he carries on how he is portrayed now. 

Please.... no...... Vince's portrayal of women, lgbt, and African-Americans make me embarrassed as it is.  Adding a stereotypical terrorist gimmick to the mix may well be my tipping point.

Edit: Also Samoans, since Vince's idea of a quality samoan gimmick is a savage or someone who wears a shirt to cover up their lack of abs.

22 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Please.... no...... Vince's portrayal of women, lgbt, and African-Americans make me embarrassed as it is.  Adding a stereotypical terrorist gimmick to the mix may well be my tipping point.

Edit: Also Samoans, since Vince's idea of a quality samoan gimmick is a savage or someone who wears a shirt to cover up their lack of abs.

tumblr_oczojxvvJY1uhsyjmo2_500.jpg

O hai

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Question: Looking to see if there's some sort of group ticket deal for the November Houston weekend of Takeover/Survivor Series/Raw/SmackDown.  Any idea?

WWE did one themselves but it is long sold out and as far as I can tell they were the only ones doing it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

With Linda now heading the SBA, I wonder how long until this page is removed from the sba.gov site.  Literally all three criteria the site lays out for someone to qualify as an employee as opposed to an independent contractor apply to WWE Superstars(tm)

Using this criteria it's amazing the WWE is able to get away with it. Going over the roster, only guys like Samoa Joe and AJ Styles best fit the mold in the loosest sense of an Independent Contractor since they own their IP that's being used by the WWE. 

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Using this criteria it's amazing the WWE is able to get away with it. Going over the roster, only guys like Samoa Joe and AJ Styles best fit the mold in the loosest sense of an Independent Contractor since they own their IP that's being used by the WWE. 

Here's a longer questionnaire.  It's from a localized entity and not the federal government, but guidelines are typically similar everywhere, from what I gather.  It's amazing, allright.  The only criteria where WWE workers qualify as independent contractors instead of employees are the ones that benefit WWE financially (job-related expenses, ability to quit without liability, taxes, insurance).  They get away with it because nobody gives a shit about fake fighting, and the only people in a position to fight it are active wrestlers who don't want to be blackballed.  For retired guys, the statute of limitations often runs out because they are hesitant to sue because "New York might call me for one last run, brother."

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/universal-championship-plans-fastlane-wrestlemania

As seen last night, Kevin Owens retained the Universal Championship after Braun Strowman interfered in the match. According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Kevin Owens is still not booked to carry the Universal Championship at WrestleMania. As of right now, his scheduled opponent for RAW’s upcoming exclusive PPV, Fastlane, is Goldberg. Goldberg was eliminated in short order by The Undertaker in the Royal Rumble.

The plan right now is to have Goldberg take the Universal Championship off of Kevin Owens, and have him defend it against Brock Lesnar, the presumed main event of the show, at WrestleMania 33. WWE officials were deliberating heavily over the weekend on what the Universal Title match should be at WrestleMania, and they boiled it down to three possibilities, being Roman Reigns defending against The Undertaker, Kevin Owens defending against Chris Jericho or Goldberg defending against Brock Lesnar.

They reportedly settled on the latter because they wanted Goldberg and Lesnar to have some stakes to their feud

So looks like Owens is going to loose the Title to Goldberg. If they give it some time I think it can be fun, have it go like ten minutes with Jericho turning on Owens setting up their match at Mania. My fear is it's gonna be a 90 second squash fest which would piss me off. Owens could convincingly hold his owen against Goldberg, have a cat and mouse game with Jericho getting involved and it can go a little longer.

Not looking forward to a part timer as the top champion on the flagship show but I'm not in charge. The idea of Goldberg being Universal Champion going into Mania and then having him loose it to Lesnar at Mania doesn't get me too excited as it most likely means that the Universal Champion won't be on Raw until SummerSlam alot like the last time Lesnar was Champion and didn't show up for months. Unless they do something like have Lesnar vs Reigns the night after Mania with reigns going over I'm not excited for this but You never know they could keep the title on Owens.

Ok, fair enough give us five minutes with Jericho interfering on Owens behalf backfire and lead to a spear, jackhammer, 1...2...3. With Owens going postal on Jericho post-match. I just fear Owens is going to get fed to Goldberg in 90 seconds and I don't think that's wise, Owens should get some offense in.

Well, if Brock is getting squashed by Goldberg, I somehow doubt KO does any better.

But hey, here's a better idea. HOW ABOUT FINN VS KO FOR THE TITLE you fucking dolts? Or shit, if Finn still can't go, just do KO vs Jericho for the Universal title. Brock vs Goldberg doesn't need any high stakes. They didn't need higher stakes the first two times they had a match against each other. The stakes are, who is the biggest and best current or formerly roided up beast. It never ceases to amaze me how WWE can overthink something like this and yet so little thought is put into just about everything else.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well, if Brock is getting squashed by Goldberg, I somehow doubt KO does any better.

But hey, here's a better idea. HOW ABOUT FINN VS KO FOR THE TITLE you fucking dolts? Or shit, if Finn still can't go, just do KO vs Jericho for the Universal title. Brock vs Goldberg doesn't need any high stakes. They didn't need higher stakes the first two times they had a match against each other. The stakes are, who is the biggest and best current or formerly roided up beast. It never ceases to amaze me how WWE can overthink something like this and yet so little thought is put into just about everything else.

I agree with you. I want to see Owens vs Balor for the Title. Balor coming back hungry wanting the title he had to give up a day after winning due to injury is basic wrestling storyline 101. Brock vs Goldberg doesnt need anything.

• Like 1

Is it crazy to think that Goldberg beats KO, Brock beats Goldberg and then finally the Big Dog goes over Brock after beating Undertaker in the last all-out blitz to make him the top guy?

On the whole, though, of all the years the belts are really irrelevant for Mania this time around. No matter whom is champion, of the rumored card Brock vs Bill, UT, vs Roman, Cena vs whomever, and AJ vs Shane are going to get the most hype and promotion. Honestly, it's probably better for the belts if they're on two of those eight guys rather than being 5th and 6th from the top. 

So what does the Mania card look like right now?

Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg (Universal Title?)

The Story: Goldberg is Lesnar Kryptonite.

The Purpose: A. It's a Special Attraction match, and B. they're resetting Brock. Since they blew the whole "ending The Streak" thing, they're giving Brock another first; the first guy to beat Goldberg clean in a singles match (at least since Bill Goldberg became GOLDBERG~! back in '98.) And unless the years of coke and roids finally do their job on Vince's heart, Roman is going over Lesnar next year whether you like it or not, dammit...

The Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns

The Story: Roman eliminated Taker from the Rumble, and Taker is pissed.

The Purpose: Half Special Attraction, Half Neverending Roman Reigns Megapush (but the kids buy his merch house show crowds love him yadda yadda yadda...)

Triple H vs. Seth Rollins

The Story: Seth wants revenge because Trips booted him for KO. So Seth is a babyface by virtue of being angry that the heel promoters are no longer giving him unfair advantages. Or something.

The Purpose: The diminishing returns that are the annual "Trips gives someone the rub" match.

John Cena vs. Samoa Joe

The Story: I'm sure it will be the same "indie darling hates Cena 'cause he didn't 'pay his dues' in the indies" stuff as AJ and KO.

The Purpose: Big Match John gets his Big Match.

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jericho

The Story: Best friends explode!

The Purpose: It gives some B+ players something to do.

Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton (World Title?)

The Story: Either Randy's been setting up Bray for betrayal, or Bray saw it coming and betrays Randy first, take your pick.

The Purpose: More B+ players in need of something to do.

AJ Styles vs. Shane McMahon 

The Story: AJ thinks Shane runs SDL unfairly. Shane disagrees.

The Purpose: Puts the company's #1 babyface (sadly not joking) in a match with the one guy who may be able to carry him to something half-decent.

Charlotte vs. Bayley (vs. Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax?)

The Story: Soemthing something Women's Movement.

The Purpose: Put the belt on potential crossover sensation Bayley (and if the parenthetical part is true, do so without Charlotte taking the fall.)

The Big Show vs. Shaquille O'Neal 

The Story: Giants from different sports collide!

The Purpose: Purely a Special Attraction match.

Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal

The Story: It's a tradition 3 years in the making...

The Purpose: A bunch of B+ and lower guys get a payday.

Other than that, probably tag titles and another SDL multi-woman tag on the pre-show. Hopefully they come up with something better for Miz to do than dragging out the Ambrose feud to Mania...

For anyone who's done a VIP signing at Axxess, do they sell out super quick?  I tried getting three this morning, and by the time I had all of them in my cart they were all sold out.  I'm not sure if they went that quick because it was a presale and they only had a limited number allocated.  For the general public on sale date, should I expect them to go just as quick and just pick one and buy it right away or will I have time to grab the ones I want?

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Is it crazy to think that Goldberg beats KO, Brock beats Goldberg and then finally the Big Dog goes over Brock after beating Undertaker in the last all-out blitz to make him the top guy?

It's crazy in a "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome" sense but then we already knew Vince was every kind of crazy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zev said:

Brock beats Goldberg at Mania for the title so WWF beats WCW one last time? Yeah, that sounds about right.

While I agree, wouldn't it make Zuffa or whoever, the TRUE king then? I mean, Brock is a mercenary for Vince, he's not his creation. If another fed came along and offered better, Brock would be out the door before the ink dried.

So now that Vince gets his last huzzah as the undisputed king of his little world, what's his rosebud?