DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 hours ago, DTTW said:

Let me get this straight.

Danielson might have a really crappy life if he takes a bad bump and the WWE docs won't clear him.

Lawler had a heart attack from being in a match and he's going to get an all clear.

Ok....

It's a fair point. WWE is inconsistent when it comes to clearing wrestlers. I do believe it was wise to have Bryan retire. However,  I do believe many wrestlers are in bad shape and have already done permanent damage.  If other wrestlers were held to the same standard many would be forced to retire. 

Personally, it makes me uncomfortable that taker is still wrestling. 

I think Angle is healthy enough to wrestle a match or two. He's clearly in a good place, he's cleaned up, is in good shape, and he's proven that he can still go with the handful of indy dates he's done.

If Angle doesn't wrestle, I'm guessing it's more a matter of them not having a program for him or creative not wanting to shuffle whatever they have in place and less of WWE being concerned for Angle's health.

33 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Didn't Lawler say something about his condition being fine on Talking Smack two weeks ago?

His doctor cleared him to wrestle about a month after the heart attack. I've seen him work some fairly intense matches since then. But I do understand why WWE would be hesitant to book him in a match. 

51 minutes ago, Victator said:

His doctor cleared him to wrestle about a month after the heart attack. I've seen him work some fairly intense matches since then. But I do understand why WWE would be hesitant to book him in a match. 

Yeah, but that also ties to the difference.

Even the most intense Jerry Lawler match will be slower paced and far more psychology oriented than any Daniel Bryan match would be. Lawler can work around his heart attack,

Bryan, on the other hand, really was never good at working smarter instead of harder, and the whole YES! Movement angle made the storyline "any change in Daniel Bryan's work is worthless. Even if Bryan could show up, go 'YES! YES! YES!' a lot, and never leave his feet except to do the YES! Lock, if he can't work DANIEL BRYAN matches then it's not really Daniel Bryan.

1 hour ago, Victator said:

If Lawler and even Bryan want to take the risk, they should be allowed to. Provided it does not put who they are working with at risk. At the end of the day, they are the ones who have to live with the consequences. 

WWE doesn't care about their health, they are worried about lawsuits and PR. Ask the NFL how it works letting players decide if they are ok enough to play. Courts have determined that it is partially the employer's responsibility to protect their workers, even against themselves.

• Like 2

So many people I had no clue were actual doctors in real life posting in here... 

Fwiw I remember Lawler's heart attack and how the next day he was posting a picture online of himself at a Burger King eating a whopper. 

Doesn't mean he should be wrestling on TV again and what proof do we have Kurt Angle is clean and in a better place? Are we actually believing anything a wrestler will tell us now? 

2 hours ago, Zartan said:

So many people I had no clue were actual doctors in real life posting in here... 

Fwiw I remember Lawler's heart attack and how the next day he was posting a picture online of himself at a Burger King eating a whopper. 

Doesn't mean he should be wrestling on TV again and what proof do we have Kurt Angle is clean and in a better place? Are we actually believing anything a wrestler will tell us now? 

Well doctors cleared Lawler to wrestle and he has been working fairly regularity on independent shows. It wasn't Burger King, it was Steak Out or something similar.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

WWE doesn't care about their health, they are worried about lawsuits and PR. Ask the NFL how it works letting players decide if they are ok enough to play. Courts have determined that it is partially the employer's responsibility to protect their workers, even against themselves.

WWE doesn't care about anything beyond covering their own ass. Its why they pay for former talents drug rehab but will not help pay a dime for surgery.

45 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Bet you'd sleep juuuuust fine at night had George Steele indecently assaulted Elizabeth.....

If that were a storyline back then, people would be posting today, "Why wasn't Savage the face in that feud?"

If that were a real thing that happened, people would be posting today, "Did Vince cover up Macho Man murdering George Steele for real?"

~~

Now, as for the Eugene character, was it flawed, and in poor taste? Of course one could say so. But as this is a wrestling forum, you're just as likely to see someone say that the problem with the Regal/Eugene situation is that the program didn't end with either of them getting a definitive victory over HHH after beating him bloody and senseless.

20 minutes ago, zev said:

Now, as for the Eugene character, was it flawed, and in poor taste? Of course one could say so. But as this is a wrestling forum, you're just as likely to see someone say that the problem with the Regal/Eugene situation is that the program didn't end with either of them getting a definitive victory over HHH after beating him bloody and senseless.

One could easily take both positions.

• Like 1

I don't think there was anything wrong with the original concept of the Eugene character. They presented him as a wrestling savant and he formed a pretty nice and positive bond with Regal. I think if they'd have kept going down that track, it would've been fine. I hated when they just had him imitating Austin and Rock b/c he was a "big fan" and then of course, HHH had to stick his big sledgehammer into the angle and beat the piss out of Eugene and Regal.

35 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Zayn throwing Strowman out to win the Andre trophy would be a fine WrestleMania Moment *tm*

Then he can chanse Owens for the US title after Jericho drops it and goes on tour.

Wait a minute, that's something that would actually make sense and be a nice long term payoff.

So that likely isn't going to happen.

• Like 3

I and others said it months ago that they were probably going to screw AJ Styles out of a big WrestleMania match and here we are. He's the best all-around performer in the company and also quite possibly the most over guy in the company but when has that mattered to Vince?  

AJ isn't a pet project. It's obvious that Vince likes him and trusts him in a specific role but that role isn't "The guy"..    that role is to be the guy who makes "the guys" look good.

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

AJ also isn't a Vince creation

Honestly, if the WWE title weren't on Smackdown he wouldn't of had it for this long. You just know there's probably a couple of people in Vince's ear about AJ's accent.

BUT VINCE...THAT DRAWL. It's soo...Georgia.