DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

46 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I agree. He's a very generic guy now. 

Generic? Generic...oh...I see what you did there.

As for his stock crashing, would that have been the hour he got called up from NXT, or the night of the brand split?

32 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Sami had a weird year. He started big with the Nakamura match and then winning his feud with Owens, but by putting the IC title onto Ryder and then Miz (which I think we all can agree was the right move in the end) it left Sami with not much to do.

They fucked up by not putting him on Smackdown. He should have been the one to initially beat Miz for the IC belt.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Meh. I mean, I'm curious as to what most of y'all think Sami Zayn's ceiling is in WWE. He's just another guy there....

Ceiling as in paychecks? He's there this year, and maybe the promoter hands him a soda as a bonus for bumping big for Brosty (the) Snowman.

Ceiling as in storylines? MITB winner is slightly possible, only to not win with the cash-in because he's a super good guy and won't use it after someone's already wrestled once in a night.

Ceiling as in 4 or higher star matches? Well, can he do a best of 7 with Nakamura?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

IMO, I think they whiffed on most of the roster split.  It's clear that SDL is the traditionally booked wrestling show while RAW is supposed to be more of a mainstream saga.  Guys like Zayn, Cesaro, KO, and even Rollins are much better suited for SDL.

Of course they are. So that's why they're on RAW. RAW has always been given the guys that would be logically better for Smackdown because in the WWE's eyes, RAW always has to be the A show no matter what. I mean it sort of worked out for Owens (though not really). Rollins should have had a huge angle all through out the fall but he couldn't because they didn't want Triple H on tv with probable low ratings thanks to MNF. Little did they know a shitty MNF season wouldn't of mattered.

Now no one gives a shit why Triple H helped Owens win the title.

Cesaro at least has pulled him out of the hole they threw him into but knowing the WWE they'll kick him back in at any time just for fun. Wrestling is an odd business. You want to make money and you have guys who could make you money but you do nothing with them.

15 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

So here's an interesting question for you all. If Balor didn't get injured would he of had a mediocre Universal title run just like Owens or would he have all ready lost it Reigns by now?

He would have the advantage of being a face, so he'd at least get more clean wins than KO. I think they were more intent on pushing on him, but the ineptitude of Raw's writing would've probably sandbagged him anyway. It's unlikely that he'd have a run that would set the world on fire, but he would've been positioned nicely to be a permanent upper midcard/main event guy even if he didn't hold the belt to Mania.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Lawler just signed a year deal and they appear to be setting up a Lawler/Ziggler match based around his heart attack so shows what you know

Let me get this straight.

Danielson might have a really crappy life if he takes a bad bump and the WWE docs won't clear him.

Lawler had a heart attack from being in a match and he's going to get an all clear.

Ok....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Danielson might have a really crappy life if he takes a bad bump and the WWE docs won't clear him.

Lawler had a heart attack from being in a match and he's going to get an all clear.

Ok....

Well one guy can get in there, do 5-10 minutes of gaga and probably no bumps.  The other guy can't help but launch himself headfirst at his opponents because he thinks he owes it to the business to do dangerous shit.

One grew up in an era where the marks were in the stands, not backstage.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Ok....

They already have it covered.  If something happens to Lawler, they're going to play this clip'

and blame the whole thing on Eddie Gilbert.

11 hours ago, just drew said:

Meh. I mean, I'm curious as to what most of y'all think Sami Zayn's ceiling is in WWE. He's just another guy there....

Low side is the mid-card. If he finds his groove, the sky is the limit. That's what I always thought.

There's a wrestling adage that generally proves true time and time again. If you can get yourself over in one place, you can usually get yourself over in another. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Well one guy can get in there, do 5-10 minutes of gaga and probably no bumps.  The other guy can't help but launch himself headfirst at his opponents because he thinks he owes it to the business to do dangerous shit.

One grew up in an era where the marks were in the stands, not backstage.

And if both guys have medical conditions there is no reason either should be in the ring and it's really hypocritical if they let one guy wrestle and not the other. And no, neither one should be in the ring.

19 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

There's a wrestling adage that generally proves true time and time again. If you can get yourself over in one place, you can usually get yourself over in another. 

Funny how the biggest wrestling company in the world screwed that up so many times 

• Like 3

Since Vince has had such success I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks all the success of wrestlers has always been due to him more than them, so just because Hogan, Savage, Foley, Flair, Andre, etc got over elsewhere doesn't show up in his thoughts just that they were successful under him. They get over because of him and he can get "anyone" over so he tries to get who he wants over since the end of the Monday Night Wars (which his ability to know to push Austin, Rock, Foley, etc was the reason they won according to WWE)

8 minutes ago, DTTW said:

And if both guys have medical conditions there is no reason either should be in the ring and it's really hypocritical if they let one guy wrestle and not the other. And no, neither one should be in the ring.

Being near sighted (or far sighted for that matter) is a medical condition - should all those wrestlers not be allowed to wrestle?

Big Show suffers from acromegaly - should he not be allowed to wrestle?

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Being near sighted (or far sighted for that matter) is a medical condition - should all those wrestlers not be allowed to wrestle?

Big Show suffers from acromegaly - should he not be allowed to wrestle?

Will those conditions lead to possible death or paralysis while wrestling?

You want to nitpick about my word choice, ok, my concern remains the same - should a guy who had a heart attack from wrestling really be ok'd to wrestle when they won't let a guy with who could be paralyzed from a single bump.

I mean they don't want Angle to wrestle, allegedly, despite the proof he could for the the last 10 years, but they'll ok the guy who had a heart attack.