DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Roman came off pretty good just now on First Take. It's still weird to see ESPN pushing WWE.

Last time I knew, when you do things strictly for money, the word prostitute got thrown a lot.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

What are you talking about? I loved the sign gimmick.

No, just... no. I wanted that oiled up roid boy to get his ass handed to him so bad. Him and Buff Bagwell should have been forced to team and get beaten up by the Faces of Fear around the loop. Then Lodi should have been put in a feud with Scott Norton a la the Cat so he could get smashed some more. 

The answer to Raven not getting a better spot is Vince. Remember, "Who the fuck hired Raven?!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Hardly anyone talks about his WWF run, but Raven was working his ass off then.  He deserved better than a lower-midcard spot.

Raven and Rhyno had what was easily the best hardcore title match at Backlash 2001 IIRC. I believe it was on the same card as the awesome Dean Malenko/Scotty 2 Hotty light heavyweight title match.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

No, just... no. I wanted that oiled up roid boy to get his ass handed to him so bad. Him and Buff Bagwell should have been forced to team and get beaten up by the Faces of Fear around the loop. Then Lodi should have been put in a feud with Scott Norton a la the Cat so he could get smashed some more. 

The answer to Raven not getting a better spot is Vince. Remember, "Who the fuck hired Raven?!"

While Macho Man was taking steph to Jr. Prom a young Raven was out behind the building teaching Shane how to get high.

Neither of these were a good idea. 

51 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Raven and Rhyno had what was easily the best hardcore title match at Backlash 2001 IIRC. I believe it was on the same card as the awesome Dean Malenko/Scotty 2 Hotty light heavyweight title match.

Raven/Rhyno was 2001, and you're absolutely right. That match was absolutely terrific, and my personal favorite from a card that also featured Jericho vs. Regal, Austin vs. Undertaker and Benoit vs. Angle. TNA basically re-ran that match in 2005, and it was just as good then. 

Dean vs. Scotty 2 Hotty was the year before, and that too is a gem. Backlash 2000 was mostly the card Wrestlemania 2000 SHOULD have been, including an awesome Rock-HHH match. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey, look what I found!

Chop - Irish whip - shoulderblock - powerbomb - pin, just like it should be. Vincent holding up the IWGP title is surreal.

Awesome.  And I've been so indoctrinated to WWE TV style that Norton powerbombing Lodi from the "wrong" camera angles (not playing to the hard cam) looks weird now.  Great.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2017 at 4:59 AM, DTTW said:

I'm under the impression this was a call in to the show. Aka something unlikely to ever happen again. Pretty sure Dave or Bryan have talked about wrestling media pretty much being a nonfactor in their press conferences.

It's entirely wrestling media. Triple H does 'em before every Takeover, usually. It's been a running joke that Mike Johnson is usually the first to ask a question.

If she gets confirmed, Linda will become 'legit'.  That may even extend to Stephanie and 'Paul'.  It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Vince never shakes the "carny" label regardless of how much money the company makes or what government positions the McMahon family holds.

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

FYI, Backlash '01 wasn't Austin vs Taker. It was the Brothers of Destruction vs Two Man Power Trip for the WWF, IC, and tag titles.

And it now occurs to me that if KO makes past Sunday as the Universal champ, I'd love to see that idea reprised with JeriKO vs Cesaro and Sheamus. 

Ah, that's right! I was mixing up the headline matches from the May PPV. Also, I didn't know until this moment how badly I want to see this tag feud. 

snip

Does the Senator in question being a former college football player make this scene more surreal, or less? 

Edited by RIPPA
Quote box breaking things

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey, look what I found!

Chop - Irish whip - shoulderblock - powerbomb - pin, just like it should be. Vincent holding up the IWGP title is surreal.

Its a wonder he hasnt got a replica to charge people 50 bucks a picture with

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace said:

It's entirely wrestling media. Triple H does 'em before every Takeover, usually. It's been a running joke that Mike Johnson is usually the first to ask a question.

I swear some wrestling guy wrote a rant about being on hold for over an hour for one of those things and then they skipped over him because he was a wrestling guy.