DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

20 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That whole Jericho/Malenko angle is one of my favorite things ever in wrestling, without exaggeration. I was actually just talking to my girlfriend about it the other night during the La Luchadora reveal.

It's amazing. Malenko basically wasn't over at all when he went away. Came back to an absurdly loud pop. Just an incredible job by Jericho getting the crowd behind Dean.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Aw I'm sorry Kevin Nealon. I love you Kevin Nealon.

Classic WU bit. (Funny you ref'd this. He was on @midnight tonight.)

I deleted the WCW SN part before I posted. But, yeah, the same. Watching old SN clips take me back to being a kid again. Heading over to my grandparents house (parents split early, neither had responsibility after Friday, if at all), getting some pizza from an awesome local joint, and not giving a shit who was wrestling.

I had some awesome cheapo pizza, wrestling was on for two hours, then I could could go book shows with my figures till bed time. 

Being a kid and having nothing to really worry about besides homework was fucking awesome. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's amazing. Malenko basically wasn't over at all when he went away. Came back to an absurdly loud pop. Just an incredible job by Jericho getting the crowd behind Dean.

Jericho is the king of carrying feuds when the other guy is off TV. His feud with CM Punk was 90% him too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love Akeem nearly decapitating Michaels with that clothesline. Perfect/Blazer is a really fun under 10 minute match. Brain Busters/Strike Force was really good prior to Martel walking out, and even after, the Busters put a fun beating on Chico. Bobby Heenan takes a king size beating from the Warrior and the Red Rooster. I like WM5 a lot.

Bobby had to have gotten a great paycheck that night. He's out there for what seems to be 3/4 of the show. 

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The Rockers vs. Twin Towers at WrestleMania V.  The contrast of styles is beautiful and all four men brought it.  Plus, Jesse and Gorilla on commentary.  "I believe he irritated Akeem".  I love the entire WrestleMania V event as a whole but this is by far my favorite match on the show.  I'm always surprised when I see people write that this is a nothing show outside of the title changes.

I love that match. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I love the commentary setup for Jesse's line.

Gorilla's talking about something and gets completely derailed mid sentence.... "WOW WHAT A SHOT!"

Not enough love for the commentary banter regarding Fuji running a 5K in a tux.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Bobby had to have gotten a great paycheck that night. He's out there for what seems to be 3/4 of the show. 

Hercules/King Haku

Andre/Jake

Brain Busters/Strike Force

Warrior/Rude

Heenan/Rooster

Yeah, Bobby had a busy night.

32 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

I love that match. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I love the commentary setup for Jesse's line.

Gorilla's talking about something and gets completely derailed mid sentence.... "WOW WHAT A SHOT!"

Not enough love for the commentary banter regarding Fuji running a 5K in a tux.

And Jesse going OFF on Hogan and Elizabeth during Macho's entrance.  "Here's this guy..  laying in the weeds..."  "The LUSTER!"   "....she'll go with whoever wins."   "My hats off to you Macho, you ARE a great champion!"

• Like 4

Almost as, if not better than his rant during Hogan's 47 minute pose-down at IV. 

Speaking of which, I couldn't think of that without Prichard's Vince voice... "God damn it, Hogan's gotta pose!" 

Why isn't there a Bruce Prichard thread in the media sub? That show is great, despite what you think of him.

• Like 2

So the story going around - which Meltzer talked about on the radio show and said he can't confirm it yet - is that Brian James has become the head writer for Smackdown and that Ryan Ward is no longer writing SDL

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So the story going around - which Meltzer talked about on the radio show and said he can't confirm it yet - is that Brian James has become the head writer for Smackdown and that Ryan Ward is no longer writing SDL

I know as many people who think that SDL is good because of James as think it's good because of Ward, so I suppose we'll have some proof one way or the other soon.

20 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I know as many people who think that SDL is good because of James as think it's good because of Ward, so I suppose we'll have some proof one way or the other soon.

When has going backwards ever helped in going forwards?

So if you know a wrestler is working you, and you let them because hey it's a childhood hero, did they actually work you if you would have bought merchandise anyways?

10 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Classic WU bit. (Funny you ref'd this. He was on @midnight tonight.)

I deleted the WCW SN part before I posted. But, yeah, the same. Watching old SN clips take me back to being a kid again. Heading over to my grandparents house (parents split early, neither had responsibility after Friday, if at all), getting some pizza from an awesome local joint, and not giving a shit who was wrestling.

I had some awesome cheapo pizza, wrestling was on for two hours, then I could could go book shows with my figures till bed time. 

Being a kid and having nothing to really worry about besides homework was fucking awesome. 

That was many, many, many Saturday nights for me as a child whose parents split too. The best part was that where I lived, we had a second block later in the night, so my grandmother would go to bed at 11ish and then I could stay up for SNL, Shotgun, ECW on MSG, and cap it off with Worldwide. If I fell asleep during Worldwide (or more later on, decided it was time for a little Passion Cove) it ran Sunday afternoons on another station too, which was a nice appetizer for Pro or PPV

Went to the Smackdown house show last night. It was fun. And as much of a fan I've not been of his during his career, The Miz was on fire last night. He saw a sign when he was coming out that said "Miz is a Doody Head" and went on an impromptu promo about how he is NOT a Doody Head. It was great. This started a "Doody Head" chant that lasted the entire match, and it was super entertaining. I was never a fan of The Miz, but his last year has been really good especially since moving to Smackdown. He was completely in control of the crowd the entire match and it was a lot of fun. His was the most entertaining match of the night, and he was in there with Apollo Crews, who is as bland as bland can be, so it was all Miz from beginning to end. It was great to watch him work the way he did.

• Like 2

Honestly, the last few WWE house shows I've been to have been way more fun than TVs. Even though guys are working somewhat safer and it's a more family friendly or casual "Hey, wrestlings in town" vibe, it's still way looser. It doesn't have that kind of rigidity a TV does. Plus no commercials breaks helps keep things flowing, though they do little fun contests and things like that so you can grab a beer or maybe say weird things about Jojo I dunno.

13 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

DDP vs. Raven from that same time frame is pretty fun too. Really good US title matches (cage, triple threat with Benoit), and an even better one with Goldberg and Raven later on.

The Goldberg/Raven match where GB won the US title is one of my favorite matches ever. I don't think the whole deal lasted more than 8 or 9 minutes from entrances to the end but it was absurdly entertaining. Raven laying the belt down and challenging GB to come get it, going toe to toe with him for a bit and using Raven's Rules to his advantage, GB finally overpowering Raven and then the well choreographed Flock run-in, the jackhammer on Reese, fans throwing Raven back in for the finish. Great stuff all around.

• Like 3

Goldberg and Raven also had another good match on a Thunder right before Halloween Havoc 98. I wanna say it might have been the go home show. DDP did commentary. Raven again went toe to toe with GB for a while, got overmatched and Kanyon ran-in. Raven actually had GB down after an Evenflow but stopped to go after Page who had nailed Kanyon with a Diamond Cutter. Spear, Jackhammer, good night and GB and DDP do a little stare down. I don't know if Goldberg was tight with Raven or what but he sold a ton for Raven and it really helped him come off as more of a badass IMO. He took everythign Raven had including interference from Kanyon and still won. Just a well laid out piece of business.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Goldberg and Raven also had another good match on a Thunder right before Halloween Havoc 98. I wanna say it might have been the go home show. DDP did commentary. Raven again went toe to toe with GB for a while, got overmatched and Kanyon ran-in. Raven actually had GB down after an Evenflow but stopped to go after Page who had nailed Kanyon with a Diamond Cutter. Spear, Jackhammer, good night and GB and DDP do a little stare down. I don't know if Goldberg was tight with Raven or what but he sold a ton for Raven and it really helped him come off as more of a badass IMO. He took everythign Raven had including interference from Kanyon and still won. Just a well laid out piece of business.

Raven was like, quietly awesome in 98. I'm gonna have to find that Thunder match because I haven't seen it since it aired, but yeah I loved that US title match. The cage match with DDP where Kanyon unmasked (Slamboree maybe?) and the triple threat with DDP and Benoit at Uncensored were a shitload of fun too. I started rewatching 97 and 98 on the Network last fall but I decided to take a break until Thunder is up too. I've been waiting a long time now so I might just get back into it after having talked about these matches.

• Like 1