DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

my comfort food wrestling is two-fold.

for long periods, i will watch the Monday Night Wars documentary. i've watched that thing a ton and can basically repeat it word for word.

lately, i keep watching the Last Battle of Atlanta. it gives me immense joy.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, twiztor said:

lately, i keep watching the Last Battle of Atlanta. it gives me immense joy.

I watched that match and it was like watching something from an alternate time and space. If that match was done today there wouldn't be one drop of blood and it would be so bleh.

God, I miss blood in cage matches. I'm not looking for that kind of bloodshed...but just a little you know.

• Like 3

I miss the very occasional bloodletting as well. Not the insane blood in every match thing, but Elimination Chamber, Hell in a Cell, or particularly serious grudge matches? Yeah. Keep it rare and it's more special anyway.

On 1/20/2017 at 0:51 PM, DTTW said:

I understand where Bryan was coming from but this was, and will probably be, the only time this ever happens and it goes down with some incredibly dumb and worthless questions to a guy who will likely be dictating the future of the wrestling. You take this golden opportunity to ask whether or not one of the greatest wrestlers of all time was working or not. Give me a break. I love Bryan but this was such an utter waste of an opportunity.

Thanks for the numbers btw.

HHH does conference calls for press questions 4-6 times a year. It's not that huge an opportunity.

So help me workshop something here.

Working with a spot I'm thinking of doing, where as the face, the other guy is in the corner/or on the ropes, and then Nutbush City Limits comes on, and I basically hit a series of knees and kicks to the face in line with the dance steps whilst the music is still playing.

Can I get away with adding an "Ike Turner" to the end of it, without completely losing babyface status?

I was listening to a shoot interview with Jerry Lawler about something similar. 

Rick Rude in Memphis had a valet named Angel, I think she was his real life girlfriend at the time. I never heard of her before or since. Anyway from watching the TV she had been really aggressive in interfering in matches. It was decided that during a match Lawler would give her a piledriver. But Lawler and Jerry Jarrett were worried about doing it for fear that it would make Lawler a heel. But it ended up getting a huge pop from the crowd. I don't think Angel was seen again and gave Rude more motivation to hate Lawler. 

So like most things, it depends on the context.

4 minutes ago, Victator said:

I was listening to a shoot interview with Jerry Lawler about something similar. 

Rick Rude in Memphis had a valet named Angel, I think she was his real life girlfriend at the time. I never heard of her before or since. Anyway from watching the TV she had been really aggressive in interfering in matches. It was decided that during a match Lawler would give her a piledriver. But Lawler and Jerry Jarrett were worried about doing it for fear that it would make Lawler a heel. But it ended up getting a huge pop from the crowd. I don't think Angel was seen again and gave Rude more motivation to hate Lawler. 

So like most things, it depends on the context.

That's not entirely true.  So there are two incidents.  One where Angel hits Lawler with a chair and Jerry no sells it and responds by punching her in the face (and the crowd absolutely fucking loses it, they are jumping up and down, applauding, male AND female,) and the other where Jerry piledrives her and the reaction is still big but nowhere near what the punch got.  Both are on YouTube.  I don't buy the "this might make me a heel" for a moment.  Especially when the punch angle looked much more brutal than the piledriver.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

That's not entirely true.  So there are two incidents.  One where Angel hits Lawler with a chair and Jerry no sells it and responds by punching her in the face (and the crowd absolutely fucking loses it, they are jumping up and down, applauding, male AND female,) and the other where Jerry piledrives her and the reaction is still big but nowhere near what the punch got.  Both are on YouTube.  I don't buy the "this might make me a heel" for a moment.  Especially when the punch angle looked much more brutal than the piledriver.

Mind you this interview was in 2001. So he might have been confusing the two incidents.

16 hours ago, Ace said:

HHH does conference calls for press questions 4-6 times a year. It's not that huge an opportunity.

I'm under the impression this was a call in to the show. Aka something unlikely to ever happen again. Pretty sure Dave or Bryan have talked about wrestling media pretty much being a nonfactor in their press conferences.

My comfort food wrestling really depends on the time of year.  With the Rumble coming up Rumble '92 is essential viewing.  Wrestlemania will take me to either Savage/Steamboat or Rock/Austin from WM17.  Summerslam takes me to Summerslam '89 and '90 as there was some super fun stuff on the card.  And Survivor Series takes me to 1990 which I watched a billion times as a kid.  All such great shows and matches.

The only one year-round that works for me is the Hogan-Savage feud.  I always find myself going back to it and watching everything unfold from them teaming up to the fallout.  I'm down with finding other long feuds that hold up, but as a WWF kid to me this is the gold standard for year-long feuds.  The Justifying Heel Actions thread gives me reason to go back to that and see what arguments hold water. 

7 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Comfort food wrestling = Hart Foundation v Brain Buster at Summerslam 89. Possibly the best PPV opener ever. In fact that whole card could be classed as comfort food wrestling to me. Similarly - Wrestlemania 8

Yep, one of my favorite matches too and probably the closest you'll ever get to a Crockett vs. Vince match, especially with Schiavone doing play-by-play.

You guys inspired me to watch some Brainbusters because I didn't recall ever seeing them in WWF. The Demolition 2/3 falls match is awesome. The Hart Foundation match is a bit weirder as the Busters don't get music (on a PPV, no less) and the ending feels pretty flat after what would have been a big and innovative looking victory. And yeah, Schiavone being there is very, VERY strange. 

3 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Yep, one of my favorite matches too and probably the closest you'll ever get to a Crockett vs. Vince match, especially with Schiavone doing play-by-play.

It's still so weird that Tony did work for the WWF for like half a year in 89. I hear those old matches and it's really like bizzaro world because Tony's voice on a WWF show just doesn't belong. Though, it did give us a preview of the Tony/Ventura pairing that would come a few years later in WCW that was pretty damn good.

The Rockers vs. Twin Towers at WrestleMania V.  The contrast of styles is beautiful and all four men brought it.  Plus, Jesse and Gorilla on commentary.  "I believe he irritated Akeem".  I love the entire WrestleMania V event as a whole but this is by far my favorite match on the show.  I'm always surprised when I see people write that this is a nothing show outside of the title changes.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I should have probably clarified that as a stiff open hand slap to the non-female participant. Hindsight. Fucking hindsight.

Clarification sought on whether calling it as such oversteps a line of good taste that a babyface wouldn't partake in.

People are terrible, so that might get a pop. You should see how far you can take it. So, after the open hand slap you should say "The Ike Turner don't stop there, baybayyy" and go with that forced cake eating scenario but Jay-Z and Beyonce "Drunk in Love" style, where you don't care if you catch a charge, its time to sexually assault someone and just jam their face in to your crotch while yelling "Eat that cake, Anna Mae! It's some goooooood cake!"

58 minutes ago, psyclicksecret said:

People are terrible, so that might get a pop. You should see how far you can take it. So, after the open hand slap you should say "The Ike Turner don't stop there, baybayyy" and go with that forced cake eating scenario but Jay-Z and Beyonce "Drunk in Love" style, where you don't care if you catch a charge, its time to sexually assault someone and just jam their face in to your crotch while yelling "Eat that cake, Anna Mae! It's some goooooood cake!"

Aw I'm sorry Kevin Nealon. I love you Kevin Nealon.

Also, for some reason lately my comfort food has been the WCW B show thread (what's left of it that works). There's something about those WCW SN, Worldwide, and Pro soundstages that just lulls me into relaxation like nothing else

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The Rockers vs. Twin Towers at WrestleMania V.  The contrast of styles is beautiful and all four men brought it.  Plus, Jesse and Gorilla on commentary.  "I believe he irritated Akeem".  I love the entire WrestleMania V event as a whole but this is by far my favorite match on the show.  I'm always surprised when I see people write that this is a nothing show outside of the title changes.

I love Akeem nearly decapitating Michaels with that clothesline. Perfect/Blazer is a really fun under 10 minute match. Brain Busters/Strike Force was really good prior to Martel walking out, and even after, the Busters put a fun beating on Chico. Bobby Heenan takes a king size beating from the Warrior and the Red Rooster. I like WM5 a lot.

• Like 1

My comfort food is searching out big pops and crowd reactions. Hogan rescuing Eugene at Wrestlemania, Hogan vs The Rock at the Skydome, Hogan vs Goldberg at the Georgia Dome, Mankind vs The Rock on 01-09-99 (Stone Cold interference), but my favorite is the cruiserweight battle royal at Slamboree 1998. "That's not Ciclope!" 

An underrated match with insane crowd reactions from beginning to end was The Radicalz, Triple H, and X-PAC vs The Rock, Cactus Jack, Rikishi, and Too Cool from the Raw on 02-07-2000. 

• Like 2